Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D Very Cool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man if the 100D is an option, I might be tempted to pay the 500 dollars extra to change from 60D to 100D which would be legit improvement. Wonder what costs would be.
I would guess it would cost $6000 more than the 90. It will be nice when the gigafactory is online and the cost of batteries (and battery upgrades) decreases.

$6000 also happens to be the amount of the Colorado tax credit so I would be tempted to upgrade my 90D order.

The extra range provided by a 100 kWh battery will only help you if your single charge distance falls over the 90D range limit. Why? Because range is more dependent on charge time and supercharger distance. It has been proven over and over again that you can either sit in the car driving or sit in the car charging. As soon as you have to make a charging stop, that factor kicks in. And since it's much better to operate out the bottom of a battery than the top, you are basically buying something you will rarely use.

Now the good news is that this is an incremental step to getting us to the point where the average long distance trip will fit into one pre charge, or maybe just a bit over, so you would only have to stop once for say 15 minutes. You would need to figure out what that number is (400 miles?) and then wait for that size battery. For a Model X that would be over 150 kWh so we have a ways to go yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and xkwizit
The extra 10kWh really doesn't sound much for a daily driver and I don't think I would ever pay that extra cost to have the upgrade but the abilities to supercharge faster (same experience on a 60D with 75kWh) and be able to charge to 100% (10% reservation for battery protection) are worth noting.

The extra 10kWh really doesn't sound much for a daily driver and I don't think I would ever pay that extra cost to have the upgrade but the abilities to supercharge faster (same experience on a 60D with 75kWh) and be able to charge to 100% (10% reservation for battery protection) are worth noting.

Yup, it depends on your usual long commute. I generally travel from Atlanta to Nashville and the 240 mile trip requires me to recharge at an SC. Another 30 miles with a 10kwh increment in the battery range will be awesome. I would not mind paying for that.

I would guess it would cost $6000 more than the 90. It will be nice when the gigafactory is online and the cost of batteries (and battery upgrades) decreases.

$6000 also happens to be the amount of the Colorado tax credit so I would be tempted to upgrade my 90D order.
In my opinion, the cost to upgrade from 90D to 100D should be around $10000 to 12000. It depend, if Tesla decide to unlock an additional ~50 HP also, then you may looking for 12K to 15K... Per Tesla "Battery limited maximum motor shaft power"

So, will there be 4 levels to choose (60, 75, 90, 100)? Or will 75 become the new base model (75, 90, 100)? What would then become the new base price? Would there be 2 performance models (90 and 100) or just one? Makes you wonder.....

So, will there be 4 levels to choose (60, 75, 90, 100)? Or will 75 become the new base model (75, 90, 100)? What would then become the new base price? Would there be 2 performance models (90 and 100) or just one? Makes you wonder.....
Could be 60, 75, 90, 100 where 60/75 having same performance and 90/100 having same performance, with the lower being able to software-upgrade to the higher option like 60->75 is now.

There's an ideal range. The question is, where is that ideal? The extra battery capacity has side benefits beyond just how far you can drive on a long trip before stopping. You might not need anything more than a Leaf in range, but whereas it might be imperative that you remember to plug in the Leaf each night, you can be much more care free with a longer range car like a Model S where forgetting to plug it in one night will likely have no impact on your following day.

Gas cars could have bigger or smaller ranges. It doesn't much change how much time you will spend putting gas in the tank. If we use those as a reference, the average auto manufacturer seems to think the ideal range is maybe 400-450 miles. With batteries, a bigger battery is a bigger expense than a bigger gas tank is, so I'd say for an EV the ideal might be 350 miles. Just guessing here, but I would say the EV ideal for a car like the S would be somewhere around the 120 kWh mark.

Reactions: KJD and 2virgule5
Tesla is probably going to keep 60-75 and 90-100 for the time being, at least until Model 3 is out. The 60 which is now positionned to attract model 3 resa holders may dissapear. The next battery upgrade may come soon after model 3 (using the new cell format) but I doubt there would be demand for more than say 110 or 120 KWh, apart from the Tesla pick-up truck. We would be around the 350 miles range that I agree is probably the sweet spot.

90 to 100 battery should hopefully be same size just more efficient cells, I would think.
I agree. As they improve chemistry, they have the ability to shave some weight or add additional capacity (or a combination of both). However, using 90 out of 100 (or 60 out of 75) is an acceptable amount of dead weight to carry around. Using 60 out of 100 is a significant amount of dead weight that would be better eliminated to improve range.

Reactions: ohmman