Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100KW battery upgrade now available $20k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The upgrade from regular 90D to 100D will be available in a few months, most likely. This is when the non-performance 100D will start shipping.

That would be supported by history, of course. It seems very likely the 90D and P90D will hover around only as long as logistical considerations warrant - and then disappear in favor of 100 pack.

However, I guess we can not completely discount the possibility that the 100 kWh pack is a difficult and expensive engineering feat with the current cell/pack (and whats the talk about the weight needing different seats/suspension etc.?), in which case keeping the 90 significantly longer until they can bring that cost down could be a (remote) option.

But yeah, I think most likely Tesla is merely looking to balance three things here:

- Limited initial production availability of the 100 pack to begin with, make the best of that
- Maximize revenue/margins in the initial demand which can absorb more cost than perhaps sustainably could, offer alternatives only after this demand is exhausted
- Clear out existing orders for 90D/P90D without obsoleting them (and offer an upgrade for P90DL) so as to minimize disturbance to current order pipeline

It seems likely the 90s get replaced by 100s in some months time. But I guess there is a small chance that Tesla might try to direct the best range crowd to the P100D longer than usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: systemcrashed
I admittedly didn't read every post in this thread, but I wonder if Tesla requires that you "surrender" your 90D battery packs in the $20k purchase price. Couldn't we resell our 90D packs to someone with a 75D back?
I would make you an offer, but I bet Tesla would not go along with it, and then what to do with a barely used 75 pack? What we need is for Tesla to make a refurbished upgrade pack price for 75 to 90 and later 75 to 100, 90 to 100.

I admittedly didn't read every post in this thread, but I wonder if Tesla requires that you "surrender" your 90D battery packs in the $20k purchase price. Couldn't we resell our 90D packs to someone with a 75D back?
My guess is they're pricing in the surrender of the old pack, and they won't allow you to keep it. However, I don't think there's official word on it yet.

Especially since they are charging us 10k to recycle it.
I think that was unfortunate phrasing on their part. The better way to phrase it would have been "..since we have to have built two packs instead of just one." I think that's the more appropriate way to look at it.

I think a common mistake people are making is thinking that the 100kWh pack costs $10k. It doesn't. It's a $10k premium over the built in price of a 90kWh pack. So if the "retail" price ends up being something more like $30k, then trading in the old pack becomes an obvious necessity.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and macca99
My guess is they're pricing in the surrender of the old pack, and they won't allow you to keep it. However, I don't think there's official word on it yet.

I think that was unfortunate phrasing on their part. The better way to phrase it would have been "..since we have to have built two packs instead of just one." I think that's the more appropriate way to look at it.

I think a common mistake people are making is thinking that the 100kWh pack costs $10k. It doesn't. It's a $10k premium over the built in price of a 90kWh pack. So if the "retail" price ends up being something more like $30k, then trading in the old pack becomes an obvious necessity.
You are exactly right, I just didn't push my tongue into my cheek enough for you to see it :D

I've asked this above, but do we know the cost of a 90kw pack? Can it be deduced from other info that is readily available.

The cost of the upgrade is still a sore spot for some new P90DL owners who have only a couple months use or less on their packs. I know that Tesla has extended the lower 10k upgrade fee to those who will be taking delivery soon and let them drive on their 90 packs for a "few" months until the 100 is ready. How is that any different from someone who just took delivery before the announcement?

Having taken delivery of a Model X, P90D(L) two months ago, I am a little disappointed the upgrade cost is so expensive for existing owners. I am new to the board and admit lack of knowledge with past upgrades, but is there any possibility that the cost of this upgrade will be cheaper a year from now? I probably would have paid the extra $10k for the P100D(L) initially, but $20k is too rich for me.
In case it makes you feel better...

There is NO upgrade option from 85 to 100 at this time -- an any price. That's the response I got directly from Tesla via email.

You are exactly right, I just didn't push my tongue into my cheek enough for you to see it :D

I've asked this above, but do we know the cost of a 90kw pack? Can it be deduced from other info that is readily available.

The cost of the upgrade is still a sore spot for some new P90DL owners who have only a couple months use or less on their packs. I know that Tesla has extended the lower 10k upgrade fee to those who will be taking delivery soon and let them drive on their 90 packs for a "few" months until the 100 is ready. How is that any different from someone who just took delivery before the announcement?
As @outie wisely points out, the difference is that Tesla has considered the difference and made a business decision. If Tesla delivered P90DLs and requested a $20k fee to upgrade, owners would decline delivery, lose $2500, and order again for only a $10k upgrade. They'd net $7500. Tesla, meanwhile, would be left with high margin inventory vehicles. This avoids all of that.

On the pack price, I don't think we know. If someone else has tried to back it out, I'd love to hear their analysis.

Also, sorry I missed the sarcasm. I'm usually a pretty good judge of that! Too much seriousness in my head today, I guess...

As @outie wisely points out, the difference is that Tesla has considered the difference and made a business decision. If Tesla delivered P90DLs and requested a $20k fee to upgrade, owners would decline delivery, lose $2500, and order again for only a $10k upgrade. They'd net $7500. Tesla, meanwhile, would be left with high margin inventory vehicles. This avoids all of that

I think there is more happening here than just avoiding a certain percentage of dropped orders. Tesla has also incentivized those who ordered a P90D to upgrade to P90DL for an additional 10k first before being eligible for a 100kw pack. That's why only Ludicrous P100D's are offered first.
Maybe someone at Tesla can think of an ingenious path for the barely used 90kw packs without having to take loss, therefore incentivizing the non ludicrous P90D owners to spend another 10k to be eligible for a 10k battery swap. Essentially, reducing the the cost of the upgrade across the board for existing owners, which would net more upgrades.

There seems to be no wiggle room after you take delivery. Picked up p90d on Saturday and asked on Tuesday about 100 upgrade. 20,000.00 since delivery was taken. Looks like I will be getting my 7,000.00 deposit money back. Looks like they will lose around 200,000.00 in future purchases from me. Sorry Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: systemcrashed
And therein lies the problem...

There seems to be no wiggle room after you take delivery. Picked up p90d on Saturday and asked on Tuesday about 100 upgrade. 20,000.00 since delivery was taken. Looks like I will be getting my 7,000.00 deposit money back. Looks like they will lose around 200,000.00 in future purchases from me. Sorry Tesla.

If Tesla can't work out solving both sides of this problem then no one can.

Sure, once they get the battery recycling operation going at the Gigafactory they can recover all of the base minerals/materials to make new batteries. But that seems like a huge waste, and very in-green, when the, barely used, batteries could be put to good use either for stationary storage or to upgrade an existing Model S to a larger capacity/more performance. (For example to replace a ~4-5 year old version A battery that can't even Supercharge at full speed. Or to replace the 60 kWh batteries in the original 40s/60s that come in for CPO to make them software upgradable.)

Hey, maybe that is what they will do with the returned batteries from the upgrades. Any 40/60, or 85 with a Ver. A battery, Model S that get returned to Tesla will get a 90kWh battery put in it as part of the CPO process. That would give a huge boost in sale price for essentially a free battery, a software change, and a few dollars of badge changes.

IF the Service Centers ever need work, battery swapping upgrades might be a great idea.
I