TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12v battery died 250 miles from SC making me pay for 150 mile towing

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lhagin, Dec 20, 2015.

1. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

The service menu has all of that info, but is not available to the user. The 12V battery isn't easy to change, as the wheel must be removed, along with the fender liner on the early cars, and frunk tub on the later cars.

2. napabill

napabill Active Member

If I were to call my SC could they provide a decent report on the current health of my 12v battery? Would rather not find out about it in the middle of the Mojave Desert, where I'll be next week.:smile:

3. Vic_F

Vic_F Member

Why can't the 12V battery just be replaced in the field? Sears etc.

4. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

#44 islandbayy, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Pone of my channel sponsors sent me this to test out, lithium powered jump pack. While in the video I jumped a 1938 Cadillac series 60 beast, it's small. And I keep it in my trunk. I've helped two stranded model s drivers sonfar with 12v issues, and about 10 jumps for ice cars/trucks.

Amazon.com: Portable Car Jump Starter, JDB 400A Peak Multi Function Emergency Starter Kit 12000mAh Power Bank External Battery Charger with LED Flashlight for Laptop, Smartphone,Tablet and more. -Green: Automotive

5. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

OP may not have had an issue with the 12v battery if it was anything like mine. I had the same thing happen, thought it wasn't a supercharger I was plugged into, and the issue wasn't the 12v battery. April 2014 build S85, stopped charging at a L2 charger and threw the 12v battery low/car needs service warning and the car would not start. Turns out it was something else and the battery was fine. They replaced the "Front Junction Box", whatever that is.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

If we compared everything Tesla was to do with existing manufacturers, we wouldn't have a BEV vehicle and we also wouldn't have first class service. Tesla is supposed to be better, since when do we compare Tesla with what the other guys are doing? You're lowering the bar.

Furthermore, given Tesla's few and far between service centers, Tesla should be towing inoperable vehicles AT TESLA'S EXPENSE. That is only the right thing to do. What other manufacturers do is beside the point because other manufacturers have thousands of dealers nationwide and much less distance to tow. Why should an owner be asked to pay for Tesla's lack of service centers?

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I'm not lowering the bar. I'm being reasonable. Tesla also has to make a profit. They could offer free Ranger service to everyone's house as well. People would love that but might get a little expensive. If all other manufacturers would come pick up their warranty cars up in the middle of the desert 300 miles away from the nearest dealership for example then yes, Tesla should at least match that.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's an automotive battery in that it's 12V AGM, but it's small and hard to get to. A Ranger replaced mine in the field, so it's possible if you know what you're doing. I understand that the newer cars have a somewhat easier to replace battery location. I wouldn't trust Sears to do the replacement.

9. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

#49 MsElectric, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Wow so this could actually jump start a Tesla with a bad 12V battery?

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I hope they used a larger 12v battery in the Model X.

11. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

See some of the above posts for explanation. It's not a normal car battery and it's not easily accessible.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

As far as I know, all cars with a big battery have a way-too-small 12V battery. Apparently the designers believe that saving 10kg is more important than user convenience.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Probably been said, but there's no way I'd tow my car 250 miles (500 if you include the return trip) for a 12v battery. Would rather pay out of pocket and ask for reimbursement (which I may not get, but still, for the inconvenience it's worth it).

14. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

Who would you propose do the work if not the Tesla Service Center? I'm 150 miles north of the nearest Service Center so, should this happen to me, I'd like to understand my options ahead of time.

15. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I'd propose using a CTEK to recondition/recharge the existing battery and then drive it to the center instead of towing the next day or later that week. Essentially put it off short term and replace it ASAP after that.

Another option is to have the car towed by a 3rd party to the limit Tesla will tow to the Service Center and have Tesla's tow pick it up there.

16. !S4

!S4 Member

I carry this in the MS:
    Amazon.com: Anker PowerCore Jump Starter 400 Compact Car Jump Starter and Portable Charger Power Bank with 400A Peak Current, Advanced Safety Protection: Automotive

It's a really good flashlight and I've jumpstarted my Subaru with it several times with no problem. Haven't used it for the MS yet, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I decided I wouldn't use any of those other features, but it still has a USB charger output and the flashlight/lamp I can easily see using. It's BRIGHT and has an adjustable lens to make it really carry a long distance.

17. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The use of AGM helps a bit, but I agree that the core issue is because the 12V battery is too small. With the load many times more than a typical car, such a small battery simply isn't going to be robust enough to last very long. I hope by Model 3 at least the vampire drain has reduced drastically even if they keep the same battery size. I know for certain I'll probably keep it in energy saving mode as much as possible.

18. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

The portable power bank will only help of the real problem is failed 12v. I understand there are other failures that can cause the the same / similar error.

19. tga

tga Supporting Member

I doubt putting a charger on the battery is going to help. If the 12V battery is low, one of two things likely happened:

a) Your battery is dead (shorted cell, dried out, tired, etc, anything that can kill a battery). A charger won't help, because the battery is done for.
    b) Your battery is discharged, because your DC-DC converter died, and the vampire drain ran the battery down. Charging will bring the battery back and start the car, but without a functioning DC-DC converter, you're SOL.

In scenario A, you want a jumper battery to wake the car. Once the HV contractors close, the DC-DC will energize, and the car should be driveable (although if you shut if off, you'll need to jump again). In scenario B, you need a tow, plain and simple. Charging doesn't really help in either case.

20. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Lexus wording: Emergency Towing: Lexus will tow the vehicle to the nearest authorized Lexus dealer as long as the vehicle is inoperable due to a warranty-related disablement.

Bmw: If your vehicle should break down while coveredunder warranty or require towing after an accidentor collision, it will be transported to the nearestauthorized BMW center. You may also elect to haveyour BMW towed to the BMW center of your choice,provided that the center is within a 50-mile radius ofthe closest center.

Pretty much standard fare. All "to nearest SC", as it should be. I hadn't realized TM had a restriction here, though for the tows I've had (tires...) these have all been within 50 miles however I often travel further and this is disappointing.