Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery Just Died - Total battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been very liberal with covering these 12V batteries under warranty. Even do it via Mobile Ranger Service.

Yep. For my 1y.o battery:

Concern: Tech noted during inspection, foul odor coming from frunk area.
Replaced 12V Battery. Verified Proper Operation.
Correction: Battery - 12V (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASY,12V BATT AND VENT PLUG,M3(1129182-00-B) 1.0
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty 0.00

LOTS of us who have this battery in the car have experienced the SAME result! some cats on here have tried to dispute this and say its placebo, but virtually everyone who has this battery say otherwise.
I've been one of those doubters, yet realizing it is possible. There could be a good reason for why it is true, but I can't think of a reason why the battery would make a difference. Perhaps someone can explain why it works.

Am I understanding this correctly that the battery was NOT a Lithium one? I thought they were all Lithium on the Tesla, but frankly speaking, I have not looked into that in a long time.
Not lithium ion. The 12V accessory battery is still a lead acid based battery. No sense adding cost to the car for zero gain. Lithium ion batteries for 12V accessory use are still maturing. More useful in motorcycle world where the weight savings are more useful. Taking 15lbs out of your Model 3 isn't going to be significant to much at all.

Am I understanding this correctly that the battery was NOT a Lithium one? I thought they were all Lithium on the Tesla, but frankly speaking, I have not looked into that in a long time.
I've been one of those doubters, yet realizing it is possible. There could be a good reason for why it is true, but I can't think of a reason why the battery would make a difference. Perhaps someone can explain why it works.
Not lithium ion. The 12V accessory battery is still a lead acid based battery. No sense adding cost to the car for zero gain. Lithium ion batteries for 12V accessory use are still maturing. More useful in motorcycle world where the weight savings are more useful. Taking 15lbs out of your Model 3 isn't going to be significant to much at all.
Yeah, it's not a weight issue. It is more of a temperature tolerance issue. Lithium ion batteries get damaged if you try to recharge them while they are really cold, like below freezing. They need to be able to sell these cars in Canada and northern Europe and other places where it stays very cold through winter days and doesn't get above freezing, as well as in very hot places. The main battery is temperature controlled, so they can manage that to keep it OK, but the 12V isn't. So lead acid batteries can be discharged and recharged in very hot or very cold conditions and handle that reasonably well, whereas lithium ion wouldn't tolerate a very wide temperature range well.

• Informative
Reactions: kailm and Adam3
right? Getting rid of a nagging spouse is wayyyy more than 15lbs. Just don't tell them I said that.

• Funny
Reactions: toolman335 and Tz00
A Lot of the 12V automotive Lithium replacement batteries have BMS/ regulation built inside the battery case. All that is presented outside the case is the two terminals. Assume the Ohmmu is like that if it requires no special charging regime and a true lithium drop in replacement battery. It would be interesting to see inside one.

Ohmmu BMS is the main reason I'm hesitant to buy their battery. I've heard stories of the BMS failing but I'm not sure how common it is. Not interested in adding another failure point to the equation. I mainly want their 12V for the bass boost everyone has been talking about.

Reactions: engineered
Yeah, it's not a weight issue. It is more of a temperature tolerance issue. Lithium ion batteries get damaged if you try to recharge them while they are really cold, like below freezing. They need to be able to sell these cars in Canada and northern Europe and other places where it stays very cold through winter days and doesn't get above freezing, as well as in very hot places. The main battery is temperature controlled, so they can manage that to keep it OK, but the 12V isn't. So lead acid batteries can be discharged and recharged in very hot or very cold conditions and handle that reasonably well, whereas lithium ion wouldn't tolerate a very wide temperature range well.

Good point. How about the other end of the spectrum with hot AZ? Ohmmu is made here . I believe they last longer in the heat or is that AGM?

Ohmmu batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate, which is different than the normal Lithium Ion that most people are familiar with, for whatever that's worth.

Good read on the differences here Lithium Iron Phosphate Vs. Lithium-Ion: Differences and Advantages

The key difference in our application IMO is that Lithium Iron Phosphate can handle more charge/discharge cycles than Lithium Ion.

Ohmmu BMS is the main reason I'm hesitant to buy their battery. I've heard stories of the BMS failing but I'm not sure how common it is. Not interested in adding another failure point to the equation. I mainly want their 12V for the bass boost everyone has been talking about.

not to be combative, but can you link up some sources that say the ohmu battery bms failed?

i read every ohmu battery thread on this site and the official tesla site before purchasing and all the people had nothing but positive things to say about the battery. its those threads that made me feel confident that purchasing this battery would be a good investment for the car.

mind you my 12v was just fine. no issues and was at full charge when i took it out the car. I wanted the ohmu battery for the benefits it has over conventional lead , and the extra clarity and umph of the sound system was a VERY pleasant surprise. it is noticeable. you may not be interested in that based on what I read here but you may still hear better sonics overall.

these ohmu batteries are still relatively new on the scene so there may not be much of long term experiences but there is a cat on here who has been posting about this experience with the ohmu battery and in over a year he has had no issues.

"heard stories" from where? I 'd be interested to see the evidence of this? looking forward to your response.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Doubt it. Tesla probably pays $50.00 per 12V battery. Switching to lithium iron phosphate would cause a significant parts cost increase.

A lot of vehicle manufacturers are looking at moving from 12V to 48V. You gain a lot of efficiencies. Lighter wire harness, etc. I bet when the time comes to make that change Tesla will just roll their own lithium ion solution. Or they will just tap the HV battery. They already allow the PCS to access a few bricks to get a limited voltage power supply to power itself.

Doubt it. Tesla probably pays $50.00 per 12V battery. Switching to lithium iron phosphate would cause a significant parts cost increase.

A lot of vehicle manufacturers are looking at moving from 12V to 48V. You gain a lot of efficiencies. Lighter wire harness, etc. I bet when the time comes to make that change Tesla will just roll their own lithium ion solution. Or they will just tap the HV battery. They already allow the PCS to access a few bricks to get a limited voltage power supply to power itself.

Yeah I wish they'd just allow HV access now at least in an emergency/ 12V battery dead situation. I believe the roadster had no 12 V?

Yeah I wish they'd just allow HV access now at least in an emergency/ 12V battery dead situation. I believe the roadster had no 12 V?
The car can almost do it. The PCS gets all it's running power directly from the HV battery. BUT, it still needs 12V to startup the PCS. Perhaps Tesla should add a little crank generator to the front of the car. Like an old-timer car.
hand-crank.jpg