Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 nema materials checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I would like to know the materials list that needs to install nema 14-50 240v on the garage.. i don’t want my electrician buy the materials end up to be compromised on quality as I have no idea.. I told him, I’ll buy the materials and he is going to install.. if you can share some insight that will be helpful..

Thanks

I'm sort of surprised the electrician agreed to that. Aside from the outlet itself, the rest of the stuff he would install on a normal job would be the quality you'd want. Wire is wire, and there's only one GFCI breaker that will fit your panel.

There's no way for the TMC community to know what you need. You haven't told us anything about the install other than a "14-50 in the garage"

How far from the panel you are connecting to? Planning to use conduit, or run NMB inside the wall? What kind(brand/model) of panel is it? Do you plan to supply 40 amps or 50 amps to the 14-50?

If I were you, I'd let the electrician bring his own stuff except for the outlet itself, and make sure he up-rates the wires for EV (aka continuous) use. Unless you are absolutely sure you'll never want an HPWC set to 60 amps, go for the 50 amp 14-50 install. (Uprating might not really be necessary for a 14-50 install if you make it clear its gotta be a 50 amp circuit. The charger will know its connected to a 14-50 and will never attempt to get more than 40)

Just let the electrician know that Tesla recommends Hubbell or Bryant 14-50 receptacles. (These companies have now merged.) Also Cooper manufactures high quality receptacles. You do not want the electrician to install a Leviton 14-50 receptacle (this would be fine for an electric range/oven but not for charging an EV.)

Hubbell model 9450a ($85) *
Bryant model 9450fr ($40) *
Cooper 5754n ($50) *

Do not use Leviton model 279-S00

* Prices may have changed

For Hubbell or Bryant use the Hubbell cover plate part no. SS701 ($8.78). The Leviton cover plate will not fit (the hole is too small for use with the Hubberl or Bryant receptacle.

I'm sort of surprised the electrician agreed to that. Aside from the outlet itself, the rest of the stuff he would install on a normal job would be the quality you'd want. Wire is wire, and there's only one GFCI breaker that will fit your panel.

There's no way for the TMC community to know what you need. You haven't told us anything about the install other than a "14-50 in the garage"

How far from the panel you are connecting to? Planning to use conduit, or run NMB inside the wall? What kind(brand/model) of panel is it? Do you plan to supply 40 amps or 50 amps to the 14-50?

If I were you, I'd let the electrician bring his own stuff except for the outlet itself, and make sure he up-rates the wires for EV (aka continuous) use. Unless you are absolutely sure you'll never want an HPWC set to 60 amps, go for the 50 amp 14-50 install. (Uprating might not really be necessary for a 14-50 install if you make it clear its gotta be a 50 amp circuit. The charger will know its connected to a 14-50 and will never attempt to get more than 40)
Hi,

thank you for your response.

How far from the panel you are connecting to? Planning to use conduit, or run NMB inside the wall?

close to 40 feet.. main panel is in the basement. i think conduit.

What kind(brand/model) of panel is it? Do you plan to supply 40 amps or 50 amps to the 14-50?

i dont know.. but my house is built 2017. i am planning to use the charger that's coming with standard. so not sure which one is suitable ( 40 amps or 50 amps )

all i need know the best quality of products need to be purchased to install the 240V on my garage. so i can buy it best on recommendations from TMC..

Last edited:
Just let the electrician know that Tesla recommends Hubbell or Bryant 14-50 receptacles. (These companies have now merged.) Also Cooper manufactures high quality receptacles. You do not want the electrician to install a Leviton 14-50 receptacle (this would be fine for an electric range/oven but not for charging an EV.)

Cooper 5754n ($50) *

For Hubbell or Bryant use the Hubbell cover plate part no. SS701 ($8.78). The Leviton cover plate will not fit (the hole is too small for use with the Hubberl or Bryant receptacle.
Thank you for your response. can you share the best quality of Conductors: 6 AWG.

this is what i see from Tesla website.

Circuit Breaker: 50 amps - what is the brand?
 Voltage: Single phase, 208-250 volt AC supply, 60 hertz
 Four Wire Configuration: Line 1 - Line 2 - Ground - Neutral - what is the brand?
 Conductors: 6 AWG copper wire for circuits up to 150 feet - what is the brand?
 Outlet: Use a high quality, industrial grade outlet - what is the brand?
 Ground Pin Orientation: Top position of outlet
 Ventilation: Not required

Honestly, I would just let the electrician use their supplies, but specify a high quality outlet for use. Don’t use a Leviton outlet.

Wire is just wire. Almost everything is southwire, including what your electrician will have on the truck. Conduit is just conduit. It’s just EMT. Same stuff anyone can buy at Home Depot or wherever.

Again, the electrician isn’t going to cheap out and use subpar materials for the job. A 14-50 outlet is as straight forward as they get. Just let them use what they have and make sure you get a high quality outlet, like Bryant or Hubbell.

Like the other user said, I’m surprised the electrician even agreed to owner-supplied materials. In their shoes, I would have passed on the job at that point because I don’t need the homeowner getting in my business. Just let them do their thing. They do it for a living. They know better than you do about material quality.

You really should be getting the electrician to do his thing. Plan for 50 amps to the 14-50. You don't strictly NEED it, since the UMC that comes with the car will only take 32 amps.

There really isn't a 'brand' choice for the breaker. You get what fits the panel, and that is determined strictly by the model of the panel. There are no competing brands. Get the wrong one, and you are out $100-$150

There really isn't a brand choice for the wire. Its all pretty much the same. Get 6 gauge. If it'll be in walls or ceilings the entire way, NMB is the way to go. If it will be running through the basement or garage on the surface(below like seven feet, I'm not sure of the exact rules), it needs conduit. Again... this is for the electrician to deal with! If it'll be through conduit, you'll want three individual 6 gauge conductors(usually THHN or THWN)(typically red/white/black), plus a 10 gauge ground wire which is usually left bare. Again... this is something the professional should deal with.

You've already gotten recommendations on the outlet.

I have a sense that what's gonna happen is you'll get a bunch of stuff and hand it to the electrician, and he'll say "nope, not allowed to use this-or-that", or your wires will be 10 feet short and you will have wasted a bunch of cash just because you really wanted a good outlet.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H

Cooper 5754n ($50) *

Why no to Leviton? What if that's the only one they can use because their supplier only carries that one?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and S-Faan
Why no to Leviton? What if that's the only one they can use because their supplier only carries that one?
Experience has shown that the Leviton 14-50 receptacle (model number 279-S00) is not up to the task of continuous use, i.e. maximum circuit load for a 50A circuit when charging an EV (240V and up to 40A) sometimes for longer than 10 hours.

Leviton manufactures electrical components at different price points. Leviton 14-50 receptacle model number 279-S00 sells for ~$10 retail and has been associated with overheating and failure when used to charge Tesla vehicles. Leviton has other models of 14-50 receptacles, higher quality for a bit more money.

A 14-50 receptacle is a common item sold at big box stores and also at electrical supply houses. The better quality 14-50 receptacles from Hubbell, Bryant and Cooper cost much more than the least expensive Leviton receptacle but as with many products you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Look at the pictures on the first post, and #60, and #97

If Leviton is the only one they can use because their supplier only carries that one, they either graciously accept a good outlet you buy from your own supplier(amazon/zoro/grainger or many others), or you find a different electrician.

Not to highjack the thread, but this is on point. I'm having an electrician run the wire from basement (inside the ceiling most of the way) to the garage, where it's going to go on the interior wall to get to the 6-50 outlet. I know the electrician, he knows what he's doing, but still I have two questions:

1. I need 120 feet of cable. It's a long run, and cable seems to wary in price from place to place, so want to see if it makes sense to shop around online rather than have the electrician buy whatever is quickest for him but maybe not most cost-effective for me. Can someone link to a place or two for the wire that I need to get an idea on pricing.

Asking because for ex.​
Lowes has 6AWG THHN at $1.68/foot.​
Meanwhile seems like $1.27 at Home Depot.​
But I'm guessing it can be ordered online at a further discount..???​

2. Lots of articles about 14-50 quality outlets. Are there recommended models to get for a 6-50 outlet?

Not to highjack the thread, but this is on point. I'm having an electrician run the wire from basement (inside the ceiling most of the way) to the garage, where it's going to go on the interior wall to get to the 6-50 outlet. I know the electrician, he knows what he's doing, but still I have two questions:

1. I need 120 feet of cable. It's a long run, and cable seems to wary in price from place to place, so want to see if it makes sense to shop around online rather than have the electrician buy whatever is quickest for him but maybe not most cost-effective for me. Can someone link to a place or two for the wire that I need to get an idea on pricing.

Asking because for ex.​
Lowes has 6AWG THHN at $1.68/foot.​
Meanwhile seems like $1.27 at Home Depot.​
But I'm guessing it can be ordered online at a further discount..???​

2. Lots of articles about 14-50 quality outlets. Are there recommended models to get for a 6-50 outlet?

1. You actually need two of those 6 AWG conductors and a 10 gauge ground wire(either insulated or not). I've used wireandcableyourway before.. 6 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Building Wire, at $1.06/ft. After shipping, it'll probably save you $30-40. You mention it'll be in the ceiling most of the way, are you sure you aren't really looking for NM-B wire?

2. I imagine Hubbell also makes a great quality 6-50.

7A5E9932-B495-49AC-9047-43D11804A73D.jpeg
Sooo, a little concerned. I read this thread and checked my outlet. It’s a Leviton. Can’t see a part number on it. Our charging sessions are typically 3 or 4 times a week for under 2 hours. Should I have this replaced. Has worked well for about a year. Max 32 amps as per EVSE. Fell free to share your opinion.

View attachment 733663Sooo, a little concerned. I read this thread and checked my outlet. It’s a Leviton. Can’t see a part number on it. Our charging sessions are typically 3 or 4 times a week for under 2 hours. Should I have this replaced. Has worked well for about a year. Max 32 amps as per EVSE. Fell free to share your opinion.
Do you like your house? Do you like your family? Do you sleep while its charging?

Its probably fine, but what if it's not.

1. You actually need two of those 6 AWG conductors and a 10 gauge ground wire(either insulated or not). I've used wireandcableyourway before.. 6 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Building Wire, at $1.06/ft. After shipping, it'll probably save you $30-40. You mention it'll be in the ceiling most of the way, are you sure you aren't really looking for NM-B wire?

2. I imagine Hubbell also makes a great quality 6-50.
Thanks for the link. Yes, I know I'll need two conductors plus the ground. Have a link for the appropriate ground wire?
NM-B is Romex right, I don't want Romex because 6 gauge isn't technically rated for 60A. So I assumed for this reason I wanted THHN cable.
That said, I am rather ignorant as to how the cable is supposed to go into walls, i.e. what if any conduit it would require, etc.

View attachment 733663Sooo, a little concerned. I read this thread and checked my outlet. It’s a Leviton. Can’t see a part number on it. Our charging sessions are typically 3 or 4 times a week for under 2 hours. Should I have this replaced. Has worked well for about a year. Max 32 amps as per EVSE. Fell free to share your opinion.
Leviton manufactures/sells other model 14-50R besides part no. 279-S00 (this one is suspect.) For example:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-279-...V,B0026H34K8,B07V5WXFNK,B000U39XQ4,B019YJPKWU

Thanks for the link. Yes, I know I'll need two conductors plus the ground. Have a link for the appropriate ground wire?
NM-B is Romex right, I don't want Romex because 6 gauge isn't technically rated for 60A. So I assumed for this reason I wanted THHN cable.
That said, I am rather ignorant as to how the cable is supposed to go into walls, i.e. what if any conduit it would require, etc.
Here's a ground wire for #6... 10 AWG Soft Drawn, Solid, Bare Copper Wire. If you end up switching to #4 for the conductors(admittedly unlikely), you need a #8 ground wire.

If its going to a 6-50 outlet, you don't need it to be rated for 60 amps. The outlet is only allowed to move 50 amps intermittently, so the UMC will only draw 40 when the 6-50 adapter is in use.

NM-B is indeed Romex, and its not technically rated for 60A in 6AWG, but it would be okay unexposed in a basement, even if only behind a drop-ceiling. I'm not sure of all the rules on when conduit is needed, but in general its 'if the wire is in habitable or likely to be habitable space, it needs to not be exposed below a certain height'. They are specifically(in a basement) trying to make sure people don't use this convenient wire spanning joists as a place to hang stuff from(clothing on hangers general stuff), and in a garage they want it protected from incidental damage, like the skis/rakes/brooms and other crap that likes to use the wire as a restraint in between wall joists(like in my garage, sadly!)

Here's a ground wire for #6... 10 AWG Soft Drawn, Solid, Bare Copper Wire. If you end up switching to #4 for the conductors(admittedly unlikely), you need a #8 ground wire.

If its going to a 6-50 outlet, you don't need it to be rated for 60 amps. The outlet is only allowed to move 50 amps intermittently, so the UMC will only draw 40 when the 6-50 adapter is in use.

NM-B is indeed Romex, and its not technically rated for 60A in 6AWG, but it would be okay unexposed in a basement, even if only behind a drop-ceiling. I'm not sure of all the rules on when conduit is needed, but in general its 'if the wire is in habitable or likely to be habitable space, it needs to not be exposed below a certain height'. They are specifically(in a basement) trying to make sure people don't use this convenient wire spanning joists as a place to hang stuff from(clothing on hangers general stuff), and in a garage they want it protected from incidental damage, like the skis/rakes/brooms and other crap that likes to use the wire as a restraint in between wall joists(like in my garage, sadly!)
Thank you. The plan is indeed to install a 6-50 outlet for a UMC for now, but with a thought of possibly upgrading to one or more, likely two, Wall Chargers in the future. This is why I want the full 60 amps for if/when one or two Wall Chargers are going to be drawing (the I believe) 48 amps max.

The ceiling in the basement is fully finished, and we will be fishing the wire along and through joists. Luckily there are some recessed lights that can be popped out to make the process less painful. I expect only one area (turn) where we will have to open up the ceiling sheetrock to run the wire. I'll leave this to the experienced electrician. He also did mention that in the garage the wire is going into a conduit. I guess I just didn't definitively clear with him that we're running THHN wire and not Romex, but I will clarify that. Plus I want to either order the wire myself or at least make sure he doesn't overspend on it (from the quick price check I did: WireAndCableYourWay is only about $20 cheaper than Home Depot, but Lowes is another $100 on top of that).

Any recommendations on a good quality 6-50 outlet and where to buy?
Thanks