Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$16 million fine possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wells Fargo was fined $16 million by the Feds due to their communication policy with deaf customers.
There are approximately 20 million Americans unable to effectively use the telephone due to hearing losses.
ADA policy includes a provision that when a telephone is the only means of contact, the agency MUST provide an alternative method (email or chat are two possibilities).
I need service and the website for Jacksomville FL service center only provides a phone number.
If you say why don’t I just get someone to call for me, it is like telling a person in a wheelchair to build his own ramp.
I lectured on accessibility law as a senior lecturer at the University of Florida so maybe Tesla should take this seriously and take immediate remedial action or the Feds may add them to the same list as Wells Fargo.

I'm surprised your Sales Advisor didn't supply an email for you to use. I'm guessing you have an email address for the SA, since it would have been difficult to arrange delivery without any contact. Have you brought this up to Tesla? (This forum is not an arm of the company.)

Deaf or not, carrying on a conversation with a Tesla Service Center by phone is usually a frustrating and often a futile exercise. Many Service Centers (I've dealt with about 12 over the past year) seldom answer their phones, and almost never follow up by phone when they say they will. In my latest interaction there was even a signature line in the emails from them indicating that email or text was the way to contact them. As Bonnie said, there must be an email address you can get. That should give you much better communication with them. Certainly Tesla is not in the position of the phone being the only means of communicating, so the Wells Fargo citation would be irrelevant in this circumstance.

Deaf or not, carrying on a conversation with a Tesla Service Center by phone is usually a frustrating and often a futile exercise. Many Service Centers (I've dealt with about 12 over the past year) seldom answer their phones, and almost never follow up by phone when they say they will. In my latest interaction there was even a signature line in the emails from them indicating that email or text was the way to contact them. As Bonnie said, there must be an email address you can get. That should give you much better communication with them. Certainly Tesla is not in the position of the phone being the only means of communicating, so the Wells Fargo citation would be irrelevant in this circumstance.
I've made most appointments over the years via email - both with my local service center (Portland) and former service center (Rocklin),

I dropped my X off yesterday for seat latch recall completion & took advantage of getting some minor stuff addressed. The appointment was set up via email. I find that a lot better than phone because then they have a written list. I emailed at the end of last week, response email was 'Want to come in on Monday? What time works for you', I confirmed via email. I did get a call during the day as to status, but a text would have been fine, too.

635873D8-C8FD-4FCE-889F-0716E094DCFC.png
Here’s a screen shot. NO EMAIL or text options.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nikxice
I've made most appointments over the years via email - both with my local service center (Portland) and former service center (Rocklin),

I dropped my X off yesterday for seat latch recall completion & took advantage of getting some minor stuff addressed. The appointment was set up via email. I find that a lot better than phone because then they have a written list. I emailed at the end of last week, response email was 'Want to come in on Monday? What time works for you', I confirmed via email. I did get a call during the day as to status, but a text would have been fine, too.
I'm surprised your Sales Advisor didn't supply an email for you to use. I'm guessing you have an email address for the SA, since it would have been difficult to arrange delivery without any contact. Have you brought this up to Tesla? (This forum is not an arm of the company.)

My SA was in Orlando. Jacksonville is a closer service center. I just posted a screenshot of the website for Jacksonville. NO EMAIL option.

I find getting an email or direct phone number to be difficult. The two Service Centers I use never answer their phones so I end up transferred to the call center. Then when I drop my car off, they do not provide me with an email or direct phone number ever, as the technicians take down my info with a clipboard, not the service advisors. Then they text me from a central service, so if I try to text back, I have to wait several hours for a response.

It was very annoying just the other day as we were going to be maybe 2 minutes late picking up our car. We tried to call as we were stuck in the traffic jam 1 mile away to let them know we were almost there and to not close the doors. Couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. The central call center couldn't get them either and advised us that we had better just be on time. Which is a crappy message when we had driven 1.5 hours to get there. We made it in time, but I wasn't too happy about that.

So I certainly feel for the OP who has even fewer methods of contacting a service center than I do

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DrivingRockies
This is one (of many) area where I've found Tesla to be rather buraucratic. If you learn specific people, then you can bypass the bureaucracy, but otherwise expect to be thrown around without direct contacts. In Europe it may sometimes mean your case is "handled" by someone in a different country (even though the Service Center is in your own country).

All I can advise is somehow try to get the names and addresses of a couple of good folks at the actual location and then always keep in touch with them directly bypassing all official channels.

Anyone know direct names or emails for OP at that particular location?

Great news! I got this below response from Tesla Service Jacksonville. Apparently Tesla does read our forum.

“I wanted to take a moment to offer our most sincere apologies regarding visibility of an alternate communication platform on our website. This matter is important to us at Tesla and our corporate office is making immediate changes to the information provided by adding an email address to bridge the communication gap between us and the hearing-impaired community . I would like to reassure you that your opinion is taken extremely seriously and being able to provide you with the full Tesla experience is a privilege.”

This is great for Tesla’s hearing impaired customers. US News & World Report stated 53% of senior citizens are hearing impaired so this WILL improve things a lot.