Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very pleased to be using AP more often with the new software. After some frustration with sudden braking or swerves over the lane markers, I decided to take the right attitude. The AP Tesla is like a ride at Disneyland where the rider gets to correct errors to stay alive and safe. Now the unexpected speed changes and turns provide surprise and thrills instead irritation. That attitude helps make AP fun to drive.

The first few times of using AP or any other L2 ADAS system will be inherently frightening. But as you gain miles with the system, you start developing an intuition for the situations it can handle well, and the situations where you should intervene proactively.

It's a different kind of learned skill compared to driving yourself, and it takes a bit of time to get used to.

Compared to over 900 weeks of Mobileye experience, not bad!
And FSD was never promised for a 2017 release! Just a demo drive by the end of 2017. Which implements NO release before that!!! Otherwise nobody would need to see a demo if it is available already...

Who said anything about FSD? What Tesla promised on their web page was that safety features like AEB will roll out to cars in December 2016. AEB rolled out last week, and is not at the same level as AEB in AP1 cars. Tesla is 18 weeks late and counting.

Tesla said "In only a few quarters, we have developed industry-leading vision technology that we had previously sourced from a third party." In other words, we did what Mobileye did and it only took us "a few quarters". Well, when did they start, December? Because they sure aren't done. An AP2 car CANNOT do what AP1 did, so they have yet to develop what they say they have. I don't care if it's working internally. R&D projects are not the same as having a shipping product.

It doesn't matter how long it took Mobileye to develop their technology. That's like saying "I built a computer in an evening using a Raspberry Pi and those idiots at IBM took a decade back in 1970!" You get to build on the shoulders of giants, and unless you developed at exactly the same time as your competition, it doesn't count. Building something in the future will always take less time than doing it now because you get to take advantage of all the other things the world has built, coded, and proved in the meantime.

gear - agree everything in principle on what you said. Saying Tesla achieved in 5 months what it took MobileEye 5 long years is plain silly.

But then achieving even this much in a few months starting from scratch on a new system, even with the added advantage of building on the knowledge they gained from MobileEye system, is praise worthy.

I am surprised that nVidia does not have an equally competing out of the box system like MobileEye.

But then achieving even this much in a few months starting from scratch on a new system, even with the added advantage of building on the knowledge they gained from MobileEye system, is praise worthy.

no it is not.

I am surprised that nVidia does not have an equally competing out of the box system like MobileEye.

They do, and it only took acouple engineers to do.

Last edited:
gear - agree everything in principle on what you said. Saying Tesla achieved in 5 months what it took MobileEye 5 long years is plain silly.

Aren't you just contradicting yourself? I don't understand the distinction but would like to give your argument the benefit of the doubt. Please elaborate.

Reactions: NerdUno and croman

I don't find making promises to your customers, charging them money, making statements about how good you are doing when you aren't close, releasing software that isn't ready just to meet deadlines, hiding important details deep in user manuals, treating your customers like alpha testers and being many multiples of your estimates late to be praise worthy.

I have a car that at least once every 10 miles attempts goes completely into the oncoming lane on well marked roads at low speeds. That's not impressive, nor indicative that Tesla has done particularly well in their development.

It's a different kind of learned skill compared to driving yourself, and it takes a bit of time to get used to

I think there are some personality types that will just never get it until they can crawl in the backseat and go to sleep. Like those people who never adjusted their VCR clocks and they just blinked forever.

Some people just don't understand technology in the way that they can use it to help them unless it just simply does everything for them. They can't work with it and use it as a tool, they can only just be served by it passively. Those people probably shouldn't buy teslas, or at least not AP.

well mine jumped from 17.11.45 to 17.17.17 - so there's hope yet for those who hadn't received the update completely skipping 17.17.4 (only thing that might help - I emailed service [email protected] and they said the update was already in progress when they replied (perhaps they had something do with it or coincdence

I called my local SC today for an unrelated issue, also mentioned that I hadn't received a firmware update in 6+ weeks (I was still on 17.11.3). They mentioned the car had a failed download 4 days ago and it should "try again in a few days". Told me to call back in a week if I still hadn't received anything.

Got the update notice about 30 minutes later for 17.17.17, they obviously pushed things along somehow.

Reactions: cybergates
that was pretty useless. no offense but there's no way to know which was the old or new version.
You could have simply put them side by side (especially if you are testing on the same route) and put a caption over them.

That is a good idea, but since I have no clue how to do that, I post the separate clips here instead. (and youtube has removed ability to add text on the video...)
Maybe there is hard to tell the difference because it really is no improvement on these type of roads?

And a wide angle lens doesn't really reproduce the sensation of speed our stereoscopic vision do.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
I think there are some personality types that will just never get it until they can crawl in the backseat and go to sleep. Like those people who never adjusted their VCR clocks and they just blinked forever.

Some people just don't understand technology in the way that they can use it to help them unless it just simply does everything for them. They can't work with it and use it as a tool, they can only just be served by it passively. Those people probably shouldn't buy teslas, or at least not AP.

There's a big difference in not understanding technology and not understanding outright lying. You've basically equated the two which many of us don't understand either.

While using AP this morning, my car felt obligated to follow the older, covered-up lane lines as opposed to the newer, very clear lane lines. As a result, I almost side-swiped the truck on my right. Despite my display indicating yellow from the passenger-side sensors for being very close to an object, there was no side collision warning and I was forced to disengage AP and pull the wheel back to my lane. I am surpised that there are not more news stories about accidents resulting from Tesla's AP. Looking forward to the next software update.

*** Please turn the volume down as I let out an expletive.***

I haven't figured out how to edit out the sound yet.

In response to some earlier posts...

Recent software updates including 17.17.4 and discussions on AP kind of go hand-in-hand. Perhaps another thread is needed labeled: 17.17.4 / No AP Posts Allowed

My apologies to those offended by comments relating to age and the perceived difficulty adjusting well to AP. It's not that it is overly complicated to engage AP. Controlling the car while in AP is another story (let's not try to argue how easy it is). AP2 in particular requires almost cat-like reflexes to avoid accidents. People of all ages can do it, it's just that in my experience, those who are in retirement age would likely have a more difficult time with AP2 and be turned of by it due to the inherent danger that it presents.​

Last edited:
*** Please turn the volume down as I let out an expletive.***

Perfect! Actually it would be terrific if that's what came out of the speakers whenever AP is about to do something suicidal.

As one of those ancient drivers I don't take offense, but I don't think the danger of relying on AP is especially age-related. The danger is trusting it for even a few seconds to look at a text or turn around to tend to a child. In a way, doing those unsafe things without AP may be safer: at least if you're on a straight road the car will obey Newton's First Law and stay in motion in a straight line. With AP it might instead lurch off toward disaster.

Speaking of children, my advice is to treat AP like a four-year-old that you're letting sit in your lap to "drive" daddy's car: Do it away from other cars, and be ready to grab the wheel at every instant.