Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very interesting quote from Musk in the Electrek article:

“We had a bit of a dip, obviously, because of the unexpectedly rapid transition away from Mobileye, where we’d expected to have the Mobileye chip on the board as we transitioned but Mobileye refused to allow that. So then we had to basically recreate all the Mobileye functionality in about 6 months – which we did.”

So in November, knowing he had six months of catch-up development to do, he still sold the feature to new owners telling us he "expected" it to pass final validation a few weeks later. A remarkable admission.

A very interesting quote from Musk in the Electrek article:

“We had a bit of a dip, obviously, because of the unexpectedly rapid transition away from Mobileye, where we’d expected to have the Mobileye chip on the board as we transitioned but Mobileye refused to allow that. So then we had to basically recreate all the Mobileye functionality in about 6 months – which we did.”

So in November, knowing he had six months of catch-up development to do, he still sold the feature to new owners telling us he "expected" it to pass final validation a few weeks later. A remarkable admission.

This is absolutely NO different from when they first sold cars with AP1 hardware. They sold you the car then with the hardware and you could buy the Autopilot option as it was in development. You could buy the autopilot option a FULL YEAR before it was available. You knew it going in. Same as now.

Apple Option P & R?
For those folks scratching their heads, that's a reference to a key combination which you hold down to clear parameter RAM (PRAM) on Apple computers when rebooting. In other words, it does a bit more than a "normal" reboot.

So the question would be, does holding down the brake pedal when rebooting your Tesla do something "extra" that a regular reboot doesn't? I've read that a "full" reboot is triggered by continuing to hold the buttons down for ~20 seconds, even after the 'T' reappears. My own contribution to this lore: back in 7.x, this method cleared up a problem where the media player wasn't working, even after a "normal" reboot failed to restore its functionality.

This is absolutely NO different from when they first sold cars with AP1 hardware.

No, it's completely different. There are multiple threads discussing this, and the class action suit it inspired, on this forum, and out of respect for those who are here to talk about today's release I won't continue the digression (which I started; mea culpa) here and now.

Hearty congrats to all AP2 owners who waited patiently for this day. While still not 100% parity with AP1, its pretty damn close now. So I would expect the next big firmware update will make your car better than my AP1 car. I still love mine of course. But now Tesla has given me a reason to start thinking about upgrading.

Between Elon's "six weeks" five weeks ago and this update, I expect the next update will be the real 8.1, bringing Navigation and kernel and browser and cabin overheat improvements. They've gotten AP2 to where they'd hoped to be in December, so now it's time to release the rest of their updates that have been on the back burner until AP2 caught up. :)

(Of course, they'll continue improving AP2 over time as well, and adding new features to it, but it doesn't have to be the sole focus any more.)

Of the registered teslafi users who've received the update, none are P100D or 100D vehicles as of yet. ;(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 2.04.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 2.04.59 PM.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 74
Between Elon's "six weeks" five weeks ago and this update, I expect the next update will be the real 8.1, bringing Navigation and kernel and browser and cabin overheat improvements. They've gotten AP2 to where they'd hoped to be in December, so now it's time to release the rest of their updates that have been on the back burner until AP2 caught up. :)

(Of course, they'll continue improving AP2 over time as well, and adding new features to it, but it doesn't have to be the sole focus any more.)

I really wonder what incentive Tesla has to improve AP1 at this point.
Does it sell more cars? - nope, if anything it is a discouragement from selling more cars.
Seriously, as an AP owner, try driving a non-AP car. It feels like using a slide rule after having used a MacBook pro.

I would love to see 2 more things added at this point on AP1,
a) Taking exits based on nav
b) Summon on private property, and not just in a straight line

Other than the above, I feel Tesla has "delivered" on AP1. Anything more than this, is just icing.
Of course if better maps make AP1 better, I'd be thrilled.

I really wonder what incentive Tesla has to improve AP1 at this point.
Does it sell more cars? - nope, if anything it is a discouragement from selling more cars.
Seriously, as an AP owner, try driving a non-AP car. It feels like using a slide rule after having used a MacBook pro.

I would love to see 2 more things added at this point on AP1,
a) Taking exits based on nav
b) Summon on private property, and not just in a straight line

Other than the above, I feel Tesla has "delivered" on AP1. Anything more than this, is just icing.
Of course if better maps make AP1 better, I'd be thrilled.

Elon suggested there would still be some improvements to AP1 in a tweet a while back as I recall. But I wasn't talking about that, but rather the overall system improvements that apply to all Ss and Xs and aren't directly related to AP.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
If we think of the Tesla as a computer with wheels, there are some useful analogies. Apple prides itself on accommodating its new Mac OS and iOS versions on its older hardware, but at some point the features designed for much faster and capacious machines just can't be shoehorned into the legacy boxes.

I think the same thing inevitably happens to Teslas. It's not so much a matter of policy as of practicality.