Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.76 New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm on 17.17.17. Should I update? Sounds like the update is worse!
I find the update to be significantly better on highways, about the same to slightly better on off-highway roads, and the perp parking is a nice feature. I am definitely happier with this over 17.17.17, if for anything, the radar seems to be more accurate tracking the front car.

• Informative
Reactions: Turing and EinSV
The lane changing on AP2 definitely got worse for me, it's now a more abrupt neck-snapping turn. My passenger asked me to do future lane changes manually and I was had argument. 17.17.17 took forever to change lanes (6-7 ticks of the turn indicator - and don't even think about letting up after 3 or you're returning to the original lane!); .76 takes about the same total time but with a longer initial lag.

All in all a worse experience. Shame as the routine stay-in-lane driving is excellent.

I found lane change to be better overall - but I have noticed that it operates very differently depending on the surrounding traffic situation. I could be wrong - but this is what I noticed

- I am below my set speed following the car ahead. If I let a car pass on my left, I'll turn on my blinker just as the car on the left is clearing my front bumper. It will now change lanes rapidly and fall in line behind the car that just passed without slowing down rapidly, instead gradually allowing the following distance to grow. This is how I would do it if I were trying to get into a narrow gap between cars.

- If the left lane is clear and no car has just passed, it is a bit slower to make the move - but still quite a bit faster than it used to be. Previously, I could have plenty of room but the long delay in changing would make the lane change less safe if there was a car approaching from behind.

- Lastly, I find the change to be close to how I would drive. I remember the first version which would sharply veer into the next lane. I have found the more current versions to be quite smooth on the lane change.

I'm curious if there's different forms of calibration/adaptation depending on speed/conditions. Today is my 4th day commuting with these changes. I already put on a 300 mile road trip with this update over the weekend, but when I started commuting I was disappointed with the way it drove in stop and go traffic. 3 days later, it's almost like it's slowly improving. Had far fewer questionable incidents on this morning's commute.

Had the first "it tried to ruin my car and maybe hurt someone" moment with the AP2 (17.26.76) today. Roadworks caused a freeway to turn and narrow a bit, with a solid white line on both sides of the lane, adjoined by another lane on the left (and beyond that a highway divider, behind which the opposing lanes) and by concrete blocks on the right. No problem with this for AP2, as the markings were clear and the weather was nice enough. Really, the road was clearly marked, the only problem was slightly narrower lanes and no room for error on the sides, so this was not the "road markings lead to a concrete divider" scenario at all.

Suddenly the road has a sort of diagonal, but partial (not fully across the lane) dark line going across the lane, covered in pitch/resin. Probably some remnant of old road markings or covering some cavity on the road or temporary changes made to the road during the work there. The actual roadmarkings on the side continue as usual in bright white, while this diagonal line twists/turns to one side, but again is dark and not a road marking by any standard. There are straight, solid, bright white lines marking the road on both sides of the lane. But this dark line does end under the left-side road marking, so it sort of starts extending from that.

It is sufficient for me to stiffen up expecting the worst - half thinking to myself I've spent too much time on TMC and am now dreading the unnecessary. Until now the only real problems with AP2 had been ghost brakes at overpasses (one bad, many unpleasant) and terrible undivided road performance. It had been pretty good on divided roads (which I was on), as far as following lane markings in good weather go...

But sure enough, AP2 starts turning alongside this sort of diagonal line! Straight towards those concrete blocks lining the lane on the right side! I mean - it stopped following beautiful, solid while lines on both sides of the lane and chose to start following a dark, partial twist in the middle of the lane into concrete obstacles. An absolutely insane decision from the EAP that just shows how limited its ability at the moment is... even if those road markings had not made sense, there was a huge wall of concrete right next to the lane it wanted to turn into, instead of that beautiful free air straight ahead.

It took a very strong twist of the already turning steering wheel on my part to cancel this movement. Everyone else in the car was stratled, though personally I was ready and was reacting, so it was more like adrenaline kicking in on my part.

Later on on the trip it got very confused again when overtaking and wanted to start following a car on the adjacent lane. At that point I just turned it off and drove the rest of the way. It stays off for now.

Other than that, staying within lane was slightly less ping-pongy for me. The overall feel is more aggressive than previous versions, I would not call it silky smooth.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: outie
The new software must be using new speed limit database. I just discovered that most of my local road's speed limit is gone (for tesla). The car used to display speed limit, when autosteer, it would set the speed to speed limit + X (relative). It worked great.

Now, my ap2 s90d displays no speed limit on many local roads (30-35, 40 ...45 mph). Autosteer works, but, speed limit control does not.

Also, the relative speed limit in autosteer can be overridden, it used to be not the case. For local road, I can now autosteer at "any" speed. This is okay, but, missing speed limit on many road is very frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Just noticed something today. I did a lane change to the left, the X changed lanes. I was a little slow in turning off the blinker, and happen to glance at the dash. I saw that the blue line on the left had turned to dotted lines, implying that it was getting ready to change lanes again. I turned off the blinker. Has anyone tried to see if leaving the blinker on will cause it to change multiple lanes in succession?

Unfortunately stuck at home tomorrow so won't be able to try it at least until the weekend.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
The new software must be using new speed limit database. I just discovered that most of my local road's speed limit is gone (for tesla). The car used to display speed limit, when autosteer, it would set the speed to speed limit + X (relative). It worked great.

Now, my ap2 s90d displays no speed limit on many local roads (30-35, 40 ...45 mph). Autosteer works, but, speed limit control does not.

Also, the relative speed limit in autosteer can be overridden, it used to be not the case. For local road, I can now autosteer at "any" speed. This is okay, but, missing speed limit on many road is very frustrating.
Whoa that's like "God mode". How did you unlock it?

I have seen a few more people also reporting this, I strongly suggest you document with some photo's video (safely of course) and send to Tesla. There is something not right here.
I did get video and have an appointment Monday. It resolved after a few days, but I need a FWD serviced anyways, so I'll share the video with a tech and hope they can look at the logs the I filed as well.

Reactions: jlarmstr
I was loving the newest firmware (17.26.76) until the auto steering behavior changed. Now, the car keeps the right side tires a few inches into the next lane. Interestingly, the car is aware of it's position, correctly indicating that it is over the line in the dashboard display. I've already reset the systems and the behavior stays. This didn't happen for the first two drives on the new firmware. SC is already scheduled for next week, but if anyone has ideas to fix it now I would love to hear them.

Now that you mention it, the new firmware does the same for me, though not in such an extreme sense. But it definitely had a right side bias on the drive I mentioned above (#125). I especially noted this when overtaking a Volkswagen and decided to cancel AP2 when it was hugging the side of the lane a little too close for comfort, compared to the Volkswagen.

Thinking beyond the extreme example of @tlouden... This, I expect, overall is actually one challenge of self-driving. Not lane keeping, but how we perceive the driving actions of the car. How is the trust issue handled when the decision and preference of the self-driving system differts from the intuition of the human sitting in driver's seat. The car was still behaving fine in and of itself, but it was making me nervous - and possibly the other Volkswagen driver as well...

We all have our unique driving style and perception/view of the world. When that doesn't mesh with the car's, that will induce trust issues. Especially so in a Level 2 system like the Tesla, where the driver must remain in charge at all times.

Interesting times.

Thought I would share one of my observations regarding the Garmin vs TomTom speed limit situation as an occurrence happened yesterday that caught my attention and perhaps may be a partial cause of what some have been experiencing.

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday morning that required me to travel the same road both ways coming and going. For the most part, I had no problem with speed limit signage matching what the car was showing. However, there is a stretch of city street that has a downhill section going one way and a corresponding uphill traveling the opposite direction. At the base of the hill is a busy intersection where there are entrances and exits onto and off of I-5 so it makes sense for traffic to slow down before reaching the intersection. As you approach the downhill section the speed limit drops from 45 to 40 and then reduces the speed down to 30 in increments of 5mph as you approach the intersection. When traveling the opposite way the speed limits increase in 5mph increments as you get further away from the intersection. While traveling downhill the speed signage matched what the car was showing. However, when traveling uphill the car would show 30mph when it should have changed to 35 and showed 35 when it should have shown 40. It wasn't until I reached the point where both directions of traffic matched the same 45mph that the car synced up with the signage. I did not have this problem under the old Garmin data but now it happens with the TomTom data. It seems like the TomTom data has an issue with understanding which side of the road the speed limits apply to and uses only one direction as it's guide.

Anyone else experience a similar situation?

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I was loving the newest firmware (17.26.76) until the auto steering behavior changed. Now, the car keeps the right side tires a few inches into the next lane.

Now that you mention it, the new firmware does the same for me, though not in such an extreme sense. But it definitely had a right side bias on the drive I mentioned above (#125).

I upgraded the FW over a week ago but didn't get it out for a drive until today.....same bias, riding the bots dots consistently and regardless of speed. I've got dash cam video for SvC, but did manage a few stills while in traffic.

Interesting to me, I caught (but couldn't capture a pic), the nav system noting along the display bottom that I was riding the HOV lane CA-60 East, coming down from the Badlands. It disappeared and reappeared several times as I crossed city boundaries but never stayed on permanently. Just a flash.

Message like this: "HOV lane CA-60 Jarupa Valley" or "HOV lane CA-60 City of Industry" etc.

IMG_1381.JPG