Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.76 New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fine with the progress on freeways.

Trying it out on a local road, just straight with one lane in each direction and a center turn lane, it decided to suddenly turn left when the lines disappeared at a minor intersection. That seems to be a recurring theme here.

I would stay. Perpendicular parking and auto screen brightness, which I have no use for, would be a fair trade off for much better local street handling

Ok. Will stay and not update.

To be honest, after using autopilot for 1500km road trip, it seems self driving is SO far from being a reality. All it really is fancy cruise control. Self driving implies much more intelligence. There are so many situations where I needed to take over. And when I show it off to people, I always need to answer their questions by admitting that the system cannot read traffic lights, stop signs, avoid pedestrians or cyclists etc. All it does is stay within the lines.

Reactions: Dinosaver
So I'm on 17.17.17. Should I update? Sounds like the update is worse!

It totally depends on whether or not your driving is predominantly open highway or stop and go / city.

If you do mostly highway driving at highway-ish speeds (e.g. 50 to 90mph), the 17.26 update is TONS better than 17.17, particularly after 100 training miles or so. It's much more capable of following curves and making smooth adjustments.

If you do mostly local driving or dense urban freeway crawling (e.g. 0 to 20mph), and 17.17 works for you under such situations, you might want to hold off, because 17.26's aggressiveness tends to exacerbate bad decisions at low speeds.

For me, it's a bit of a toss up. For my road trips, 17.26 was a net win. A big win. Easiest Tahoe trip ever, including AP1 experiences. But now that I'm back home and driving 7 freeway miles in 45 minutes (glorious silicon valley commutes), I'm less happy with 17.26 compared to 17.17, as previously when the car was crawling at a few mph you can basically leave it unsupervised. Now, it makes all sorts of erratic mistakes at slow speeds.

Ok. Will stay and not update.

To be honest, after using autopilot for 1500km road trip, it seems self driving is SO far from being a reality. All it really is fancy cruise control. Self driving implies much more intelligence. There are so many situations where I needed to take over. And when I show it off to people, I always need to answer their questions by admitting that the system cannot read traffic lights, stop signs, avoid pedestrians or cyclists etc. All it does is stay within the lines.
It's true, and that's why in this case terminology is significant. Autopilot behaves very much like real autopilot on an airplane. The pilot is always responsible to fly the airplane and execute changes.

When I show people AP but they were expecting a robot chauffeur, I like to point out that ATC can't tell any airplane to make a turn, it tells the pilot. The same goes for Tesla AP and stops--for now!

Full autonomy will come, but we need to remind ourselves it isn't here yet. Over hyping AP is bad for PR and for safety.

The lane changing on AP2 definitely got worse for me, it's now a more abrupt neck-snapping turn. My passenger asked me to do future lane changes manually and I was had argument. 17.17.17 took forever to change lanes (6-7 ticks of the turn indicator - and don't even think about letting up after 3 or you're returning to the original lane!); .76 takes about the same total time but with a longer initial lag.

All in all a worse experience. Shame as the routine stay-in-lane driving is excellent.

The following is based on an 18 mile round trip from rural farm into small town 9 miles away. There was virtually no traffic. The roads were relatively flat, no large hills, overcast, early evening.

The update was done with the car's cell connection, 1 pip on the cell connection indication. It went quickly, much quicker than the initial update screen indicated.

A change (from 17.18.50) is that on secondary roads the display used to say autosteering was unavailable. Now it tells you it is restricted to 45 mph. This was on a 2 lane road with a 55 mph speed limit.
It is squirrelly at low speed crossing RR tracks at 35 mph in town, abruptly attempted left turn. It was quickly caught.
It makes abrupt inappropriate turns at slow speeds in town.
These are not gentle, they are fairly aggressive. I held the steering wheel and caught things early, I've got no idea what would have happened had I allowed the car to complete the maneuver.
The car seems quicker. This is purely subjective. It might be wishful. It is an S75D, mfg date May 2017. I do not know the motor codes.
Autosteer works well on a non interstate divided highway, ~5 miles each way, 55-65 mph.
Speed limits seem more accurately represented. The speed limit generally seems to change right at the sign, one was slightly after the sign, one was missed. I don't think it is reading signs although it might be. It is much more accurate than previously.

I'd do the update, just be cautious of the low speed sudden moves. I would not use autosteering in town if there is traffic.

I did attempt to use the windshield washer. It turned out the reservoir was bone dry so wasn't filled at delivery. New owners might want to check for washer fluid before needing to use it. The resevoir doesn't take much fluid. It worked once filled.

Last edited:
The following is based on an 18 mile round trip from rural farm into small town 9 miles away. There was virtually no traffic. The roads were relatively flat, no large hills, overcast, early evening.

The update was done with the car's cell connection, 1 pip on the cell connection indication. It went quickly, much quicker than the initial update screen indicated.

A change (from 17.18.50) is that on secondary roads the display used to say autosteering was unavailable. Now it tells you it is restricted to 45 mph. This was on a 2 lane road with a 55 mph speed limit.
It is squirrelly at low speed crossing RR tracks at 35 mph in town, abruptly attempted left turn. It was quickly caught.
It makes abrupt inappropriate turns at slow speeds in town.
These are not gentle, they are fairly aggressive. I held the steering wheel and caught things early, I've got no idea what would have happened had I allowed the car to complete the maneuver.
The car seems quicker. This is purely subjective. It might be wishful. It is an S75D, mfg date May 2017. I do not know the motor codes.
Autosteer works well on a non interstate divided highway, ~5 miles each way, 55-65 mph.
Speed limits seem more accurately represented. The speed limit generally seems to change right at the sign, one was slightly after the sign, one was missed. I don't think it is reading signs although it might be. It is much more accurate than previously.

I'd do the update, just be cautious of the low speed sudden moves. I would not use autosteering in town if there is traffic.

I did attempt to use the windshield washer. It turned out the reservoir was bone dry so wasn't filled at delivery. New owners might want to check for washer fluid before needing to use it. The resevoir doesn't take much fluid. It worked once filled.

"A change (from 17.18.50) is that on secondary roads the display used to say autosteering was unavailable. Now it tells you it is restricted to 45 mph. This was on a 2 lane road with a 55 mph speed limit."

Clearly, there must be a new database being used. As I noted yesterday, here in Naples, a few local 45mph (divided, 3 lane) roads that previously were 5+mph restricted are now unrestricted.

HW1 X....

"A change (from 17.18.50) is that on secondary roads the display used to say autosteering was unavailable. Now it tells you it is restricted to 45 mph. This was on a 2 lane road with a 55 mph speed limit."

Clearly, there must be a new database being used. As I noted yesterday, here in Naples, a few local 45mph (divided, 3 lane) roads that previously were 5+mph restricted are now unrestricted.

HW1 X....
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is using existing AP1 vehicles to build a new database of speed limit signs.

Autopilot behaves very much like real autopilot on an airplane. The pilot is always responsible to fly the airplane and execute changes.

Wellllllll, although I generally agree with all your points, I am MUCH MORE comfortable with AP in a plane than on my MX. I can depend on the plane to make various mid-course way-point changes without worrying about running into another plane 3 feet off my wing-tip :eek:

I wait for the day when EV AP will be as safe as for planes...... and it eventually will as you say.

This is definitely not road conditions. The same behavior happens on all roads, all lanes, all lighting conditions. I see multiple Teslas every day here, so if our roads had some special sauce screwing this up other's would have reported as well.

It's also interesting that the vehicle knows that it isn't in the center of the lane and continues to drive this way. I even allowed it about half a mile to see if it would eventually snap out of it, I hugged the curb for half a mile with the best performance coming on a slight curve when the car got inside the lane for a few feet.

If this were a damaged sensor, I would expect the dash to show the car centered. If this were a change in AP software, I'd expect more reports (I've seen one other). I certainly hope that the SC has an explanation after fixing it. It's quite frustrating to be without lane keeping for a week, I didn't realize how often I use it.

I have seen a few more people also reporting this, I strongly suggest you document with some photo's video (safely of course) and send to Tesla. There is something not right here.