Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The braking in stop and go is intense. I was inching along in traffic and the way it slammed on the brakes (how does ABS even engage at 3 MPH?) was totally over the top.

I yelled at my car, but it didn't help :(

That's for sure...there are times when I'm going 40, heading to a red light with cars stopped. Even set to 3 car lengths it just goes 40 until the last second then stops and jerks us in the car. There are times even though I know it will stop, I just take over so its not as scary as a slower decrease in acceleration vs. 40 to 0 in a second.

What I don't understand is: the complain was not enough data now they have plenty flowing in and it got WORSE. So instead of AI it's been A-unI

Usually when you start feeding data to a AI it has a abrupt increase in performance then it starts tapering off once Millions of data sets come in.

What all this looks to me is that they are picking iterations on some "over optimized" request that's not necessarily better.

Reactions: Prefect
AI isn't doing anything. This is all coded. FSD will use AI. An AI might be used to curate data which feeds AP/EAP since ME did that by hand but I don't think so. I think AP/EAP is just coded and its difficult to code this so everyone is happy. Turnover is a big reason by there was a huge gap between 17.17.xx and the latest versions. I hope they will improve the rate at which EAP and FSD is being developed but Tesla sucks at communicating and instead keeps us all in the dark. Seems to be working less successfully for them as sales have plateaued, especially for the Model S. If they delivered on time and communicated, sales would skyrocket again. Model 3 owners will not be a patient bunch.

I drove several people down the I-5 yesterday in slow traffic with the 90D and 17.26.76. They own an AP1 85D. While they were impressed with the bumper to bumper action, the full speed driving was another matter. Some of the automated lane changes caused them so much grief, that they occasionally yelled or shrieked in fright. Early in the day, "Oh, that isn't right" was the response. At night, they were not so calm. In it's present condition, AP2 lane changes turn off the Tesla complements. One positive; I expect car pooling requests to decrease.

• Funny
Reactions: Swift
I drove several people down the I-5 yesterday in slow traffic with the 90D and 17.26.76. They own an AP1 85D. While they were impressed with the bumper to bumper action, the full speed driving was another matter. Some of the automated lane changes caused them so much grief, that they occasionally yelled or shrieked in fright. Early in the day, "Oh, that isn't right" was the response. At night, they were not so calm. In it's present condition, AP2 lane changes turn off the Tesla complements. One positive; I expect car pooling requests to decrease.

All I know is what my AP2 90D does on the same firmware, but "yelled or shrieked in fright" seems like a massive exaggeration if it's anything similar to mine. Abrupt, for sure, but nothing close to having passengers shrieking in fright. You sure you don't have some other problem going on with your car? Why did you keep doing it if they were scared to death?

All I know is what my AP2 90D does on the same firmware, but "yelled or shrieked in fright" seems like a massive exaggeration if it's anything similar to mine. Abrupt, for sure, but nothing close to having passengers shrieking in fright. You sure you don't have some other problem going on with your car? Why did you keep doing it if they were scared to death?

I too had passenger shriek in freight about the abrupt lane change! I is really unpleasant, even if you are getting used to it.

I got all three front cameras replaced and a new alignment-bracket installed, but that did not change anything.

The last few software versions where a massive step back instead of forward and that is frightening me. Maybe it has something to do with the departing of Chris Lattner as head of the AP software team?

Only tried my 17.26.76 for a few comparison videos, driven less than 10 km. Can't notice any difference from 17.24.30 in general, that is mostly ok but a lot of situations it does not handle well. The sum of these bugs mean that you really need to pay attention.

Auto lane change still a bit violent but same as 17.24.30. I tried to make a video of auto lane change also, borrowing a monkey doll from my daughter to show the small movement. I wonder if Tesla collects data on lateral acceleration and steering wheel position of all manual lane changes?

AP1 here.

My initial impressions of 17.26.76 were "about the same", but after a few weeks getting quite a bit of AP under my belt on this version my conclusion is:

Steering: a bit worse. I've had a few instances where I needed to take over where I didn't in earlier versions. Still way better than when AP came out, but not the best AP1 steering version.

Speed control: about the same as previous versions. Haven't had any phantom forward collision warnings on this version. I've NEVER had a phantom AEB activation (obviously lots of people confuse these two). Had a few unnecessary slowdowns, but they were gradual and easily overridden with the pedal.

Yesterday we were on a 2 lane exit ramp, merging to 1, and a further merge onto a new road. Traffic was bumper to bumper across all lanes. Thought, "Great time to turn AS on! Wrong. We were about where the yellow truck is in the screen grab below, and within seconds as we got closer to passing under the railroad bridge, doing maybe 10 MPH, was rewarded with heavy breaking that also sounded like antilock kicked in. It was not due to traffic stopping dead as it was still a slow crawl.

I too got a "please turn that crap off!" from my wife. Not good, Tesla.

IMG_1248.PNG

I know the lane change is now more abrupt but it isn't necessary always a bad thing. Action always seem more abrupt if it is not under your direct control, and it would be interesting to measure lateral g and compare against mannually initiated lane change to see if it is indeed more abrupt or just feel as such.

One of the issue of auto lane change in the past is that it took so long that the traffic gap often closes before it can happen. The new motion actually allows the lane change to happen and is better at slotting gaps in traffic. Maybe we need a user configurable setting so we can choose the right level of aggressiveness.

My main concern isn't that this latest version is worse, to me it is better. However, I am concern d about the slow pace of overall improvement, if we are still debating these basics, when can move onto the true enhanced part of AP, such as auto highway ramp navigation, true auto lane change, or more advanced summon?

Reactions: mach.89
I operated the Model S normally and at freeway speed of the traffic. No one was "scared to death", those are your words, not mine. They did yell out and shrek with some sudden movements that occurred during some of the sudden lane changes. There is no setting on the touch screen that allows me to adjust how fast the vehicle will change lanes. Previous versions did it comfortably. This version causes concern. Remember, these are Tesla owners who were my passengers. Their AP1 vehicle does not act this way. I doubt they will be recommending a new AP2 Tesla to any of their friends.

My wife was literally scared with the lane changes.... They were abrupt and didn't always stop at the adjacent lane. Several times I had to grab the wheel and jerk back to the original lane. Not good. Ruined my drive back to NJ from WI.

I know the lane change is now more abrupt but it isn't necessary always a bad thing. Action always seem more abrupt if it is not under your direct control, and it would be interesting to measure lateral g and compare against mannually initiated lane change to see if it is indeed more abrupt or just feel as such.

One of the issue of auto lane change in the past is that it took so long that the traffic gap often closes before it can happen. The new motion actually allows the lane change to happen and is better at slotting gaps in traffic. Maybe we need a user configurable setting so we can choose the right level of aggressiveness.

My main concern isn't that this latest version is worse, to me it is better. However, I am concern d about the slow pace of overall improvement, if we are still debating these basics, when can move onto the true enhanced part of AP, such as auto highway ramp navigation, true auto lane change, or more advanced summon?
It's coming in December as promised :confused:

I have used 17.26.76 in my AP-2 60D a modest amount, on a mix of highway and local roads. My impression of this release is that it is definitely better than 17.4.4, my previous version. I am surprised by some of the reports I see here because they don't match my experience. It's very hard to tell to what extent the differences are due to different expectations or different hardware issues (like maybe sensor alignment, e.g.).

I would summarize my experience to date as:
- Highway lane following - significantly better

- Lane changes - improved (I have not experienced overaggressive lane changes at all. My wife, who can be nervous, agreed that they were fine. I have no explanation for why my experience here is different that others.)

- Local road lane following - improved. That said, the car requires supervision at all times on local roads. I had one incident where the car would have gone into an oncoming traffic lane had I not intervened. It was a fairly tight right turn where the center line disappeared in the middle of the turn for a fairly large arc in the turn. The car stopped turning enough, drifting into the oncoming lane, and was just starting to correct back with the tires maybe 6-12" in the other lane at the point I took control back. I think the car was headed back to it's lane, but I'm guessing it might have been 18" into the other lane had i not taken it back.

- TACC following in stop and go traffic - improved. Seems better at holding a constant distance from the lead car. I thought the accelerations were a bit too aggressive at low speeds, but that didn't seem extreme to me. Overall, more human-like following, if the human is a bit aggressive.

So to summarize, when I read the reports of some others, it seems like we are not having the same experience. I wonder how we can disentangle personal reactions from differences between cars?

• Informative
Reactions: daktari and EinSV
Agree on both accounts. X Owners (and AP1 S) owners seem to like the latest updates and see as improvements. Met several on my 1000 mile return trip this week.

I found no evidence of the software "learning" or changing behavior in any way during trip. Behavior only changes with updates.

For what it's worth.... I do the same 60 mile loop each day on weekends to compare versions....The service tech in Austin told me when we were installing 17.26.76 that the most recent updates were different in that it does in fact, improve within the update itself... That being said, there are many factors which can affect autopilot even though I'm doing the same loop each day...

this service Tech, may or may not know what's truly going on... he seemed to know, but unless we can look at the code and talk to the developers, it is only so valuable.

For most of us, our observations of autopilot are kind of like a placebo... in that we are so prone to bias. . Today, I felt like my autopilot took a step back, that it was not staying as centered on highways... this was complicated by the fact that the lane lines were painted since yesterday... (loop 360 from mopac)... so you see... nothing is constant not even the 60 mile loop I drive between days on the weekend.

The fact that I didn't sleep well last night and my back hurts from yesterday is probably the biggest factor in my observation that my autopilot took a step back today.

But if it helps... it is my opinion that something is changing ... perhaps "learning" is not the correct term, but rather, "continues to calibrate" may be more accurate.

Reactions: daktari
Ok, so 18 pages into this thread, and my own experience, I feel like it can be summarized as:

1)much better at highway speeds in turns
2)much better at quicker initiation of lane changes, so as to not miss your opportunity in traffic.
3)much worse in stop and go traffic when it comes to smoothness of acceleration and braking
4)much worse in terms of lane changing smoothness.

2 steps forward and 2 steps back. Hmm. What are the chances Tesla reads these user "reviews"? Sure hope they do.
I did a couple hundred miles of freeway driving this weekend. There was no question the AP was improved with the latest update.
The lane changing is definitely more aggressive, but I thought it felt very sure and solid. Not sure if it was an improvement because I thought it worked pretty well before. Way better in stop and go traffic now. The difference was like night and day. Everything about AP feels silkier and smoother to me.