Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got it, though I've had poor WiFi in my garage until tonight when I starting getting my UniFi products going. The Tesla just did not like my ASUS router previously. Once the new AP was active I could see the car downloading the update.

Just got the update installed tonight, looking forward to a long drive tomorrow to check out the Autosteer improvements...sounds like progress is being made.

Regarding the Fan Speed part of the update - what did that actually do ? I had fan speeds 1-3 available already.

At this rate it will be August 2017 before it can do 90 MPH like AP1 can.

your statement is true ("at this rate") but it's possible (likely?) that Tesla will increase the rate in the future..
My guess is that they'll go slowly up through 65mph or so, then start increasing top speeds faster after that.

I personally would rather that they open up the other cameras and give the car more info on what's left and right, than increase speed.
but I'm biased, because I have no qualm with driving in free flowing traffic at 65 to 70mph, and most of my commute is in 10 to 45mph highway traffic during rush hour (when Autosteer and TACC work).

Reactions: disagree
I received 17.9.3 three days ago and have driven quite a few miles testing it. I really don't have too much different details than others have posted but I still will summarize experiences:

1. BOTH side road and freeway Autopilot experiences have been IMHO significant improvement over the last release - it seems to track much more stable (so far a lot of driving in Autosteer - at least 130 freeway miles and 50-80 backstreet/side street logged).
2. No more pulling off on freeway ramps....it may flinch a little but then it goes back to a steady drive.
3. Others have had bad experiences in rain - I have not. The Autosteer and TACC worked well in the rain AND at night in the rain.

I plan to put a lot of learning miles on this and will update this........

Just had a chance to use 17.9.3 today on I-495 Long Island Expressway for about 1-2 hours. The TACC used to be very smooth and keep a good distance on highway. I use TACC almost all the time. But with 17.9.3 it speed up and slow down and speed up and slow down even the travelling speed of the car in front is quite constant. Is it just my car or if anyone experienced it as well? It almost got me motion sick.

Noticed the same speed changes, worse around curves where the car speed up, just a bit, as if the radar didn't quite see the lead car anymore and tried to get back to the set speed if it had been going slower. When the "gap" closed, TACC slowed the car as it was now too close to the lead.

Reactions: wesley888
They only up the speed when things are moving along and improving to parity. It literally means exactly what you are asking for when they put out an update that ups the speed.

Hi, @dhanson865,

Do you have a citation to support your claim?

I haven't seen anything that supports the claim that Tesla permitting a new, greater level of speed in Autosteer can be taken as an endorsement that previous speeds are AP1-equivalent. Much less better.

I have never had personal experience with AP1, only with AP2. One unexpected "benefit" of AP2: I find its behavior sufficiently unpredictable that I am tense while using it, hence way more alert than I am with AP2 off. On this basis alone, AP2 may be cutting down my risk of driver-caused accidents.

Thanks,
Alan

I just installed 17.9.3 yesterday on my HW2 S90D. Although the increase in speeds is minimal (50 on interstates and 35 on surface streets), it appears to be driving much better! (Although still with improvements needed, of course.)

Like many here I've tried to use the pre-17.9.3 auto-steer on surface streets with wildly variable results, and I too had considered it far too dangerous to use there (other than for experimenting) unless I was not in the right lane and on well marked pavement. On poorly marked 2-lane roads it was just plain dangerous. And on interstates, stuck in the right lane because of the speed restriction, it would always try to take any exit it approached (again with some occasional wild gyrations.)

Since I installed 17.9.3 yesterday, it's a much tamer beast. On surface streets, its now much better about not noticing something out of the corner of its electronic eye and heading towards it. Still too variable to trust, but much better. Well marked surface streets seemed OK. And on the interstate, it no longer wanted to leave at every exit! But I also notice a small bit of TACC speed variability as someone else mentioned.

So -- rather understated release notes for what I believe was a significant under-the-hood improvement in the firmware. I remain really excited to see what shows up next.

I'll be interested in others' reaction to this update.

Reactions: cdub
I just received the update. Scheduled to install tonight. I just got home from a weekend in Palm Springs. TACC worked amazingly. I set it for 80 mph and it did all the work. At on point the lanes narrowed from 4 to 2 and traffic slowed abruptly. It handled it not problem. I let my foot just hover above the brake ready to intervene but I didn't need to. I had no issues with signs or overpasses, no issues with curves. It was the easiest drive I've done. That said autosteer was out of the question given it's limits. I am excited to test out the new update and see the difference.

But I also notice a small bit of TACC speed variability as someone else mentioned.

I am hoping this isn't the case because I had a flawless trip there and back.

And on the interstate, it no longer wanted to leave at every exit!

This will be very welcomed as my morning commute is short. I generally stay in the slow lane as I only travel 2 exits but traffic is always awful so autosteer is fantastic until you hit an exit. I am excited to test this out.

I'll report back.

Intersections where there are no lane lines are still dangerous with AS. Hard dart to the right seeking a line, and will pull you across lanes. Needless to say, be aware and hold the wheel tightly to force a disengage.

Don't expect this to change. All AS is supposed to do is keep the car between the lane markers. If the lane markers disappear you should expect the car to behave wildly. It isn't designed to be used in that situation. You should have taken control before entering the intersection at all.

Wishing I had the update still, but no luck yet, as I am still on 17.7.2 as of Sunday night. I could use the extra 5 MPH on the highway with my daily commute of 40 miles each way. AutoSteer has worked like a champ on I-85 into/from Atlanta daily since I took delivery on 02/28, but when the traffic gets above 50, I am back to active steering. Will be interesting to see if getting to 55 with 17.9.3 (once I finally get it) will make that much more of the drive "automatic". Wondering what it will be like when all of the cameras are active and all systems are working in harmony.

Wishing I had the update still, but no luck yet, as I am still on 17.7.2 as of Sunday night. I could use the extra 5 MPH on the highway with my daily commute of 40 miles each way. AutoSteer has worked like a champ on I-85 into/from Atlanta daily since I took delivery on 02/28, but when the traffic gets above 50, I am back to active steering. Will be interesting to see if getting to 55 with 17.9.3 (once I finally get it) will make that much more of the drive "automatic". Wondering what it will be like when all of the cameras are active and all systems are working in harmony.

It has made a huge difference for me. Not only does it operate way better it also allows me to use it constantly in the slow lane behind or in front of other slow moving vehicles. It's a champ on the highways now. I expect highspeed auto steer is not long away.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV