Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for considering the T Sportlline Model TST wheel.

Our wheels are low pressure casted. We are unaware of what method of construction Rial uses for their cast wheels. More importantly what sets us apart from Rial is that our wheel is specifically engineered for the Model S. Being a Tesla specific tuning brand, we took into consideration building a wheel that appealed to Model S owners in design but also in function.

Specifically:
Our wheel has a max load of 790kg. This translates into 6,952lbs of load on 4 wheels. We estimate the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the Model S is about 5,800lbs. Therefore we gave ourselves a 20% padding in the load rating. This is quite standard in wheel manufacturing.
When installing, our wheel uses the Tesla factoy lug nuts. No need for aftermarket lug nuts.
Your factory Tesla center cap also fits on our wheel.
From an aesthetic standpoint, our TST simply has more detail than the Tesla 21". Our spokes have more detail and the surface area around the lug nut holes is larger.
No one else in the aftermarket manufactures a Model S specific wheel.

The Rial Luganos weren't made specifically for the Model S. The Lugano design was out before the Model S. They simply happen to have a 5x120 bolt pattern, an offset which the Model S can accept and a 72.6mm bore which tells us they were intended for BMWs. 19" aftermarket wheels on BMWs are commonly found on the 3 and 5 series. The gross weight of a BMW 550 V8 is 4971lbs, 14% lighter than a Model S. We've also done our own digging and can't find the load rating on a 19x8.5" Lugano. Nevertheless, our background in the wheel industry tells us the Lugano wasn't made to hold the weight of a model S.

PS:
Bending is a common occurrence with potholes and other road hazards. It happens even to the best manufactured wheels. We've seen the Rials bend, and we have multiple factory 19" Tesla wheels in our facility that are also bent. Rest assured, the TST is on par if not better constructed than a 19" factory Tesla wheel.
I assume that these are made in China?

Mounted the bright silver Rials this afternoon. I personally like the bright finish against the dark blue:

IMG_1759.JPG

The max load capacity on our 19x8.5" Lugano is 1,653 lbs. for reference. The last Model S we inspected had Gross Axle weight ratings of 2,776 lbs for the front axle and 3,131 lbs. for the rear axle, so GVW "estimates" aside the Lugano can handle the Model S just fine. Anyone with a background in the wheel industry would know the consequences of selling a wheel that did not have enough load capacity for the intended application, so stating that the Lugano can't carry the weight of the Model S (without knowing the actual max load capacity) is merely self serving. While the Lugano was originally designed for BMW, we have had Rial change the casting of the wheel to make it hubcentric for Tesla long ago.

Rial has had the Lugano tested and approved by TUV for use in Germany, and the wheels are made in a plant in Poland that is also manufacturing OE wheels for VW, Audi and Mercedes using the same low pressure casting methods.

Thanks for letting me contribute to the discussion, as friendly competition is a good thing (as long as all the facts are available).

I am using these for my "winter tires"... same as the 21 grey Tesla rims but I didn't want to change the look so I bought the 19" grey. Car preforms great and no performance issues.

The aftermarket wheels from the original poster look awesome. Better than the Tesla stock ones, IMO. But then, I've always been a huge fan of the machined aluminum look (which is actually hard to find now), and not really a fan of wheels bigger than 19", so I may not be the norm.