Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Electricity Bill since purchasing the tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:rolleyes:
My bill has averaged about 5% lower comparing to same-month-last year in the 15 months we've had the Tesla.

Largely due to qualifying for an EV time of use plan where power is significantly cheaper 19 out of every 24 hours (and stupidly cheap during the overnight hours the car is charging- I'm paying roughly $2 per 300 miles of range... I guess maybe $2.50 if I was figuring charging loss but it's literally not worth my time to do that math)
Not everyone gets Stupidly cheap overnight plans, let alone cheaper ones. I guess you get all the breaks, enjoy!

:rolleyes:
Not everyone gets Stupidly cheap overnight plans, let alone cheaper ones. I guess you get all the breaks, enjoy!

Well, renewable energy kind of levels the playing field across the globe. Here's hope your area is successful in properly integrating and growing the renewables mix and lower of power rates.

Plan B: Buy your own solar and powerwall, put a new breaker and move part of the house to the powerwall. Keep the city power as backup. :)

My bill has averaged about 5% lower comparing to same-month-last year in the 15 months we've had the Tesla.

Largely due to qualifying for an EV time of use plan where power is significantly cheaper 19 out of every 24 hours (and stupidly cheap during the overnight hours the car is charging- I'm paying roughly $2 per 300 miles of range... I guess maybe $2.50 if I was figuring charging loss but it's literally not worth my time to do that math)
I just move to EVTOU2 billings starting Jan 1/2020 with SDG&E here in San Diego and I have solar array too....Im quiet curious to see my next bill...I usually charge my M3 from midnight to 6 at least 3X a week.

So last night parked at 28F with 168 miles
7miles to work 15minute preheat at 65F to make sure there is no frost. Drivers seat heater on
few miles for lunch
to Costco and home 20miles total driven 30-33F car has 116miles remaining 30mile average is 516wh/m.

So 52miles gone for 20 driven, now add 10% just for charging losses. Once you budget something for pack warming to charge you are at triple rated wh/m in real power use and this is right around freezing, not actually cold.

Wife's car is an Impala which is VERY similarly sized and with more miles needed fewer repairs offsetting the oil change costs and gets 25mpg. Think gas is $2.30ish a gallon here now or 9.2cents per mile.
Not a math major but I believe at $.14kwh trying to solve for an equal 9.2cents per mile would be about 660wh/m which while my dash doesn't show it the miles consumption is well over before charging losses and pack warming. My car is on older software pack heater is not coming on except to charge.

Not even cold, imagine what these numbers look like once it is subzero instead of 30F?

Now we can make the numbers different if we ignore real consumption just using dash display, compare it to a 40mpg compact car and use Cali gas prices.

So last night parked at 28F with 168 miles
7miles to work 15minute preheat at 65F to make sure there is no frost. Drivers seat heater on
few miles for lunch
to Costco and home 20miles total driven 30-33F car has 116miles remaining 30mile average is 516wh/m.

So 52miles gone for 20 driven, now add 10% just for charging losses. Once you budget something for pack warming to charge you are at triple rated wh/m in real power use and this is right around freezing, not actually cold.

Wife's car is an Impala which is VERY similarly sized and with more miles needed fewer repairs offsetting the oil change costs and gets 25mpg. Think gas is $2.30ish a gallon here now or 9.2cents per mile.
Not a math major but I believe at $.14kwh trying to solve for an equal 9.2cents per mile would be about 660wh/m which while my dash doesn't show it the miles consumption is well over before charging losses and pack warming. My car is on older software pack heater is not coming on except to charge.

Not even cold, imagine what these numbers look like once it is subzero instead of 30F?

Now we can make the numbers different if we ignore real consumption just using dash display, compare it to a 40mpg compact car and use Cali gas prices.

Your short trips did not help, especially if you had the cabin heater going as soon as you got in the car each time. That pulls ~7-8kW to get the cabin heated up.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
My electric bill only went up about 20$ and I drive almost 2000 miles a month. The trick is to basically just ask to switch plans to a much more cost efficient ev plan, in which case, most people will end up saving money, instead of spending more, despite increasing totalal kWh used. I have sce and pay about 13-16 cents a kilowatt depending on when I’m charging

My electric bill only went up about 20$ and I drive almost 2000 miles a month. The trick is to basically just ask to switch plans to a much more cost efficient ev plan, in which case, most people will end up saving money, instead of spending more, despite increasing totalal kWh used. I have sce and pay about 13-16 cents a kilowatt depending on when I’m charging
Great if you live in Cali, but contrary to popular belief, not all of us do.

TOU appears to be of no benefit to me.

I moved into my place on Jan 7. Set up pge for TOU plan but it shows it won’t activate till next billing cycle. Been charging at .26/kwh...

People are going to ask me about sentry mode and it's off.

It's cold out yes but I think that argument is moot since it's cold for my other cars too.

I'm not preheating and I'm not even using heated seats or accelerating fast.

My electric is expensive I live in Suffolk long island

South east PA elec rate about .132. Sorry you guys for those rates above 20. No off peak options here that I know about.

got the M3 on 12/17. Billing period ended 1/5. Elec bill seemed higher than I would have expected, but kids were home from school and weather was odd. So will wait a few billing periods and compare/analyze.

P3D - of course a big issue is that EV's have a bigger winter time hit than ICE cars (generally). You pay an artificially low gasoline rate and an artificially high electric rate.
The gasoline rate is artificially low because of federal subsidies (and unpriced externalities).
The electric rate is high because ... local decision making.
EVs do not have waste heat so winter hurts some. There is a decent amount of driver behavior regarding charging and battery heating that can make a difference.
And just since we are comparing to an H3 - what is the acceleration difference?
I think it was you that mentioned that your utilities use gas to generate electricity. They use NG of course which is very different than "gas" which most people use to mean gasoline. Shockingly different products.
The wholesale cost of electricity runs between 2-4 cents a kwh. There has to be profit and distribution costs but anything over 15 cents at the retail level is either to encourage conservation, poor decision making on peak issues, or excessive local costs/taxes. In CA - all of these are issues. LI - probably all except encouraging conservation.
I lived near Shoreham (PJ) as a child/teen. It was finished about 30 years ago and you are still paying for it? My single mom (and where she met her second husband) worked there so thanks for paying for my upbringing.

In NC - Duke Progress. 11 cents. There are some TOU but they tend to discourage it/not available. On my last house, solar installs forced a TOU-D rate. I paid 5 cents at night and 10 peak. The D stood for a demand charge which I was able to get to $20 a month on average. Needless to say, we have had 2 EVs for a long time.

Strange how there are so many people from LI who live down here now.... Most of the time, I can get to Manhattan just as fast as you can.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC