Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.50.180 Auto Headlights Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 120 yesterday and my lights have turned on and off as I'd expect. It's been overcast here all day, and the lights have switched on and off with it getting lighter and darker outside. With 180, they were always on unless it was blue sky.

Heard back from Tesla - it's a known issue and will be fixed in the next update.
That seems to be the latest Tesla go-to response to many problems. It's the new "Tesla soon" . There is always "the next update". Notice how they never tell you which version or when. :(

Btw, same "auto lights" behavior here. And a mirror that won't unfold or auto-tilt, or set itself with driver profile. It will all be fixed in the "next update".

Question: How do you guys know for sure whether or not your headlamps are on? If the problem is that they are on in daylight, you would be unlikely to see the beam reflecting off nearby objects, would you? So are you judging from the cartoon image in the Controls screen? That is the only way I have been able to tell, and it is distracting to peer at the screen to see the difference of DRLs vs headlamps....Just curious how you know they are really on.

My headlights on my MX AP2 are always on when I'm in Auto headlights, thought it was because I parked in garage and it was dark but when I backed out into the sunlight they were still staying on so I switched it to Daytime, kind of annoying to do it each time I drive but it may just be a bug. 2.50.1.20

Question: How do you guys know for sure whether or not your headlamps are on? If the problem is that they are on in daylight, you would be unlikely to see the beam reflecting off nearby objects, would you? So are you judging from the cartoon image in the Controls screen? That is the only way I have been able to tell, and it is distracting to peer at the screen to see the difference of DRLs vs headlamps....Just curious how you know they are really on.

I'm going by the little cartoon. But, I spend a LOT of time in traffic and can see my lights reflected in the car ahead of me and that's matched up with the status of the cartoon. Yesterday I pulled into a parking lot with them off per the cartoon, but could see what I would take to be DRLs on in a reflection in a storefront window.

That seems to be the latest Tesla go-to response to many problems. It's the new "Tesla soon" . There is always "the next update". Notice how they never tell you which version or when. :(

Btw, same "auto lights" behavior here. And a mirror that won't unfold or auto-tilt, or set itself with driver profile. It will all be fixed in the "next update".
I look at it this way - yes it can be annoying but how great is it that its something that can be done with an update over WiFi versus having to take it to the dealer to be fixed. You are after all driving a computer on wheels. How many times does your OS on your computer get tweaked/updated? At least they are acknowledging the issues as opposed to "all working fine" or "we don't know"

Get out of your car and look. Or reflection in the back of a car. Plus the image on IC is accurate as far as I know.

I look at it this way - yes it can be annoying but how great is it that its something that can be done with an update over WiFi versus having to take it to the dealer to be fixed. You are after all driving a computer on wheels. How many times does your OS on your computer get tweaked/updated? At least they are acknowledging the issues as opposed to "all working fine" or "we don't know"

Double edge sword because the ability to fix things over the air is what motivates manufacturers to ship unfinished and untested products. "It should be fixed in next update" is equivalent to "we don't know", since there are no details when or any guarantees that it will be fixed ever. It's like me saying "check should be in the mail" - I doubt Tesla hand out cars on such promises.

I checked mine yesterday when I was out and about and my headlamps do not stay on when set to Auto (which is how I have always had them, from the beginning).
My car is pre-facelift and has DRLs. So is it possible this is only a problem for facelift cars?