Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 EV Household - what else you got?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this to see how everyone is getting on with their second EV's? Are there any interesting smaller EV's coming in the next 6 months? I think its time to swap the old Suzuki swift for something more EV-ish.

Currently I think its between the e-corsa, 208e and possibly the Zoe for something super mini sized?
As well as my M3P, we have an electric Smart Car. It has a range of 90 miles in summer and 60-70 in winter. It's just 2.6m long, and a spacious but only two seats witha very tight urning circle. very bumpy ride, but so cheap to run, and ideal for us. We have had it 18 months and I paid £16k for it when it was £22k list. It uses Apple CarPlay ( as does my M3P 😁) No regrets.
4F042C2E-BBE1-4F07-833A-44932FE557A6.jpeg

Last edited:
I still love my e208 and it’s my preference if I’m not going on a long trip. It’s like the hot hatches (XR2s and XR3) I had in my 20s but much quieter and more reliable.

At motorway speeds I doubt it’ll get you 150miles in the winter and I personally (not typical) have an issue that Peugeot are struggling (2+ years later) to resolve for connectivity from app to car.

Reactions: Avendit
Just got our MYLR last week to replace our 2007 Prius which we are selling to my nephew this week. The MY joins a 2015 Leaf, making us an all EV family. In addition, we got Tesla solar installed a couple months ago which provides a great offset as we are perfectly south facing with no obstructions in San Diego. Finally, we just changed our community aggregation provider to be 100% renewable so even when we are pulling from the grid, it is renewable.

Reactions: MrT3
Resurrecting this to see how everyone is getting on with their second EV's? Are there any interesting smaller EV's coming in the next 6 months? I think its time to swap the old Suzuki swift for something more EV-ish.

Currently I think its between the e-corsa, 208e and possibly the Zoe for something super mini sized?
I had 22kwh and 40kwh Zoe's, both of which did the job, but I didn't think the later 50kwh model justified the increased price, especially as the range is hardly different from the 40kwh.

The 22kwh battery on a 2015 Zoe lost 20% capacity in 4 years / 20k miles giving range around 70 miles while the 2017 40kwh did much better at 8% lost with years / 30k miles and 170 miles range. Both mine were battery included (not rented).

As a daily run around I found the 40kwh was very acceptable and the 22kw AC charging was ok too. All had heat pumps as standard so while the car was not by any means luxurious, it was very suitable for its purpose.

It's 18 months ago that I replaced the Zoe with a Kona EV Premium and at that time there was very little difference in price between the Kona and a new Zoe but the Kona is ten times the car. I gather the Zoe is due to be retired very soon so don't know how that will effect prices.

One thing that surprises me is that both the Zoes and Kona seem to make far less fuss about battery management. IIRC the later Zoes have 6 or 7 year battery wty, and new Hyundais 10, with no requirement to not charge to 100% etc and minimal vampire drain.

..and minimal vampire drain.
Less stuff running when 'powered down'?

Thanks for the info, I forgot the Zoe was nearing EOL. That and it's poorer crash safety probably tips it I to the no thanks list. Isn't the Kona a significant step up size wise? My wife likes small cars (had a row of Arosa's and would prob be in an Adam now if it wasn't for the need to compromise and fit kids seats).

Check the dimensions as I don't want to mislead, but I believe that when I measured the Kona I was amazed that it was hardly different to the Zoe. The Kia variant is slightly longer and bigger boot, but for me the smaller boot size was still comparable with Zoe.

I haven't looked recently, but if you could still find a 20 or 21 Kona demonstrator you might get a deal..... The Kona manages 300 miles from 64kwh and I have found it compares really well in real terms with my MS R LR.

Reactions: Avendit
Less stuff running when 'powered down'?
Or indeed no stuff running or waking up on a regular schedule? Although the Hyundai remote app does get push messages from the car so there must be some background stuff running. Both the Zoe and Kona (and other non Tesla cars) seem to offer decent battery warranty and a lot less battery 'fuss'. At 100% soc and 4 deg C the Kona still gives quite a bit of regen braking before finally giving regen unavailable message.

Other Ev is a Brompton electric. Awesome machine…

-2 predicted this week, out on country side roads I suspect it'll be lower, I've fallen off twice this year on the pedal bike already, so trying to avoid a third time before the end of 2022. I'm doing the 'sensible' thing this week, using the Tesla for work commute instead of the eBike.

We have a Y as 2nd EV - probably extravagant as it is only used for short trips (although it has replaced both the Backup ICE and the People Carrier - kids have left home, so that was only used for rash eBay purchases ... so the Y's Hatch and Tow will be used infrequently longer distance).

For anyone contemplating 2 EVs on the driveway might be worth thinking about how you park on your drive and location of chargers etc. - with benefit of hindsight I got mine wrong :(

We have in-and-out, so can come in either end so charger-flap-side won't bother us, but it might do for others.

I positioned 2nd charger where 2nd car would park. 1st charger is at the furthest position a flap-at-one-end could park.

With benefit of hindsight I should have positioned both chargers in-between the two car parking spots. Both have cables long enough to reach "far end" of a vehicle parked in position (maybe not farthest corner, but if the car has turned round to present its charging-side that would be fine)

Would have meant that either car parking space could use either charger (e.g. prioritise the Zapi that is wanting to divert excess PV). Also my backup Commando is (now) at the farthest end. Having all that lot in-the-middle would have been better.

Another option, for someone with 4 parking spaces, would be to put the chargers between 1-and-2, and 3-and-4, so they could charge either vehicle (which can be handy with visitors instead of having to move own-cars out of the way to facilitate an adhoc visitor-charge

I've just taken delivery of our latest EV in the household.....I'm normally one to stand up for Tesla 'build quality' but even I have to admit Teslas interpretation of 'build quality' is way behind many other EV manufacturers.

Honestly the finishing on my latest EV acquisition makes our X look like a 6th form D&T project!!

52581229807_c7d8974cea_k_d.jpg

52581229607_e7903597fd_k_d.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Caramel and Avendit
I've just taken delivery of our latest EV in the household.....I'm normally one to stand up for Tesla 'build quality' but even I have to admit Teslas interpretation of 'build quality' is way behind many other EV manufacturers.

Honestly the finishing on my latest EV acquisition makes our X look like a 6th form D&T project!!

52581229807_c7d8974cea_k_d.jpg

52581229607_e7903597fd_k_d.jpg
That is gorgeous. I have a first gen Diverge in that same paint and it still looks stunning when its clean. Enjoy!

Reactions: gangzoom