Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Yoke vids…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready for something different. Remember, there were many saying that the wheel will never make it into production. I think this is a great feature to see the driver screen without obstructions.

Besides, I don't remember Dave ever having a problem with it.

View attachment 673608
Oh brother.
I'm ready for something different. Remember, there were many saying that the wheel will never make it into production. I think this is a great feature to see the driver screen without obstructions.

View attachment 673608
Oh Brother.

Weren’t they supposed to quicken the yoke so low speed maneuvering wouldn’t require so many turns?

As I understand it, yokes are used in applications where it takes one turn lock to lock, whereas a car takes 3 turns.

We were interested in trading our e-tron for a Model S, but the yoke and removal of buttons are just not something I would pay for the “luxury” of having.
Driver controls should be high quality and effortless at this price point.

Weren’t they supposed to quicken the yoke so low speed maneuvering wouldn’t require so many turns?

As I understand it, yokes are uses in applications where it’s one turn lock to lock, whereas a car takes 3 turns.

We were interested in trading our e-tron for a Model S, but the yoke and removal of buttons are just not something I would pay for the “luxury” of using. Driver controls should be high quality and effortless at this price point.
I have a used Model S that I would trade with you if you bought an S with a yoke. Make sure yours is blue, though. And please deliver to my place, also in USA.

It's a car that accelerates to 60 mph in under 2 seconds with modifications from previous Model S to allow it to sustain high acceleration and speed.

I'm sure that's very useful for a school run.
It's pretty simple.

Does your car need to drive on public roads, which implies regular tight maneuvers and 90+ degree turns?

If so, you should have a steering input that accommodates that need.

If not, you can pretend to be an F1 driver.

These anonymous nicks throwing shade at the yoke were never in the market for a Tesla or a S Plaid.

The S Plaid is a hypercar in every sense of the word, except for the price. It's value is absolutely incredible.

It's a car that accelerates to 60 mph in under 2 seconds with modifications from previous Model S to allow it to sustain high acceleration and speed.

I'm sure that's very useful for a school run.

View attachment 673608
Actually, do a little research and you'll see that David hasselhoff on numerous occasions commented on how dangerous the car was to drive for TV purposes with the top part missing. You're very example proves my point and the point that many others are trying to make that it's a significant step backwards in terms of safety and functionality for a perceived increase in coolness which I for one think it looks stupid.

View attachment 673608

Love how you're quoting a television show to justify something in the real world. There isn't a single scene where it shows Dave was turning the yoke to make sharp turns.... because it sucks.

You can keep fantasizing and evangelizing about wanting to be different, but this is not innovative. It has been tried in the past and there's good reason nobody does it. Let that sink in before you sing the praises. And just from the few video's I've seen of the yoke in use in the wild, it looks cumbersome and awkward to turn. All that just to have a tiny bit more visibility in front of you? No thanks. Not innovative whatsoever. In fact it's unsafe if anything. Not the kind of innovation we need from Tesla. I was almost considering a Plaid S, but this cement's my decision to hold off. I'll wait til Tesla actually give the option of a wheel.

Reactions: AMPd and TessP100D
Love how you're quoting a television show to justify something in the real world. There isn't a single scene where it shows Dave was turning the yoke to make sharp turns.... because it sucks.

You can keep fantasizing and evangelizing about wanting to be different, but this is not innovative. It has been tried in the past and there's good reason nobody does it. Let that sink in before you sing the praises. And just from the few video's I've seen of the yoke in use in the wild, it looks cumbersome and awkward to turn. All that just to have a tiny bit more visibility in front of you? No thanks. Not innovative whatsoever. In fact it's unsafe if anything. Not the kind of innovation we need from Tesla. I was almost considering a Plaid S, but this cement's my decision to hold off. I'll wait til Tesla actually give the option of a wheel.
Change for change sake is not good.
I know. Who will be the first moron to get an accident due to the yoke joke, then turn around and sue Tesla for making such a stupid wheel?

Reactions: AMPd and MagnusMako
And yet, modern steering is all done by wire.

Is it, tho?

A quick Google on the subject tells me the Infiniti Q50/Q60 uses steer-by-wire, but that’s all that turns up.

(It also tells me that reviews of the Q50 steering are largely negative, and that the steering system includes (requires?) a clutch-engaged emergency backup mechanical steering system in case of a failure, so it’s probably not saving any weight, cost, or complexity.)

Unless you’re not actually talking about steer-by-wire.(?)

Reactions: AMPd and X Fan
Here are two Yoke vids I found. Tesla Raj and the guy w the cartier bracelet seem ok, the second link below the guy really seems to struggle, I wonder if he has it on Sport

My favorite part of the 2nd video is at 1:45 when the horn goes off by accident when his hand accidentally hits the horn button on the RHS of the yoke while awkwardly executing a turn.

I had just seen another video from OCDetailing where the driver accidentally hits the windshield wiper button while making a turn.

Reactions: cityberty

As I understand it, yokes are used in applications where it takes one turn lock to lock, whereas a car takes 3 turns.

We were interested in trading our e-tron for a Model S, but the yoke and removal of buttons are just not something I would pay for the “luxury” of having.
Driver controls should be high quality and effortless at this price point.
Save your money. Tesla is strange to say the least.

The Dave reference was sarcasm. I see the chatter and know it's not well received. I was hoping the new S would come with a smaller wheel like on the 3/Y. I'll take that wheel over the older S/X.