Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$20,000 Discount on Ludicrous Mode for existing owners. Still applies to new price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard if you didn’t opt for ludicrous at the time of purchase, what the cost to add it on now is? Or if they will even push you the software?
Wondering the same thing. I just got my performance X 2 weeks ago. Was waiting to add Ludicrous later after saving for awhile. Had it been the extra 2-3k I would have bought. Big difference from 20k. Hoping he will at least lower the add on price some.

Reactions: dk10438 and willw64
I called my service center today and after a brief hold the service tech said i could purchase it from within my Tesla app with a credit card but i can not for the life of me find it in my app, in the car UI, or in my account page on my mac. He did mention it requires the Performance level but that's been the case forever AFAIK.

I sent tesla an email just now asking for details as well. If I find the option or price, I'll let ya know.

Please do. I did the same and haven’t heard anything and I imagine the sales reps are getting plenty of calls. I also checked my app and online account and couldn’t find any pricing on ludicrous.

Except that it killed my P100D order. I received a full price off for my P85D on Sunday and this morning the buyer backed out telling me I either needed to drop the price $10K from what we agreed given that a new P100D just dropped $20K in price. So that sale just vanished and all used Ludicrous optioned Tesla's just took a massive resale hit.

I guess I should clarify my mistake. The price dropped $16K because the base price went up $4K.

I don’t think that is an option at present, I’ve followed the ups and downs of Tesla in the news and here, I’ve never seen an option to remove the FSD from one car and add it to another. It makes perfect sense from our point of view but not from Tesla’s. There used to be an option to add or subtract software packages from their used cars and that would change the purchase price, such as autopilot, fsd, and ludicrous. If you found a car with one of the packages and you wanted the car without, they could remove the package and credit the difference against the purchase price. I don’t know if they still do that, but I’ve never seen an ability to transfer a software package from a car that one owns then apply it to a new car one is purchasing.

Anyone know if we paid for the FSD upgrade back in March if we end up getting a new S/X will they credit that purchase back considering nothing new has come out for it?

EDIT: Credit it towards a new vehicle

I would guess not. When you pay for FSD, it gets added to the build sheet of the car, so the car will pretty much forever need to have that feature for whoever it's sold to later. So your previous car with FSD that you're selling / trading in will have its value proportionally increased because of the FSD and that should be about it.

I would guess not. When you pay for FSD, it gets added to the build sheet of the car, so the car will pretty much forever need to have that feature for whoever it's sold to later. So your previous car with FSD that you're selling / trading in will have its value proportionally increased because of the FSD and that should be about it.

To some degree that contradicts what some of the above people said where Tesla can add or subtract from the used vehicles when reselling. Regardless, it is still a tough one because I paid for the FSD back in March, but now I'm considering upgrading into a new Raven. It would literally be thrown away money if I don't hang onto my car since I paid for the FSD back in March... so basically this policy is stifling potential upgrades from current owners.

Has anyone heard if you didn’t opt for ludicrous at the time of purchase, what the cost to add it on now is? Or if they will even push you the software?
Tesla service center here in Decatur GA just quoted me $21600 to add Ludicrous mode to a 2019 Raven Performance Model S (non-L). I brought up that I could sell my 9 week old car, buy a new one, and save ~17k minus depreciation vs adding the option after the fact but they seem fairly rigid in keeping the prices the same for the point in time you purchased your car so the option is there, albeit not one that i think makes much sense financially for those like myself that didn't opt for the feature during the initial purchase.

Tesla service center here in Decatur GA just quoted me $21600 to add Ludicrous mode to a 2019 Raven Performance Model S (non-L). I brought up that I could sell my 9 week old car, buy a new one, and save ~17k minus depreciation vs adding the option after the fact but they seem fairly rigid in keeping the prices the same for the point in time you purchased your car so the option is there, albeit not one that i think makes much sense financially for those like myself that didn't opt for the feature during the initial purchase.
Unbelievable. Now that’s that bullshit

And add FSD now part of all S’ (For a while now) and it really does kinda bite.