Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forged BMW M6 wheels ... saved 10lbs per corner!

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

Reactions: davidc18
Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW
page says 23.3 lbs for the 20 X 9" wheel... I remember the rims being about ten pounds lighter than the stock Tesla 19s I removed. The nice thing was that all the weight seemed to come from the rim area which dramatically reduced rotational intertia.

The tires are Pilot Super Sport 255/40 ZR 20. I believe I used the Porsche variant that has a less rounded or more square patch to sidewall which provides a bit wider contact patch.

The only issue I have with aftermarket rims is I've found I need to buy a spare when I buy the set of four. I've been caught out a few times where I've damaged a rim years down the road (pun intended) only to learn that the series was discontinued. I've taken to buying a spare and have not needed it since. Go figure.

Question. This is my FIRST post, btw. I talked to T Sportline and they recommended only for Model S the tire size 245/40-20 for 20×9.0″ wheels with the TST 20s. They also stated it will be dangerous to install a 255/40 ZR20 tire on the TST wheels. Does anyone know why they are saying this?
Should I follow their recommendation?

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I just pulled the trigger on a set of 20" wheels. I have staggered 21's and am concerned about potential for wheel damage and the inability to rotate these expensive tires, so the investment should pay off. I learned the hard way when I blew a rear within 24 hours of taking delivery of my MS and the SC was glad to fix me up for $600 (tire was not fixable).

I'm going with TSW Genevas in gun metal grey. I really like the look of the Vorsteiner VFF103 but they are on backorder for a few months and they are really pricey @600 ea. The TSW Geneva, new for 2016, looks very similar to the VFF103, are also flow-formed, weight is similar to the VFF103 (which means they are way lighter than my OEM 21" turbines), and they are $200/wheel less. I'm also following @lolachampcar 's lead and getting aluminum hub rings (using plastic to pilot an aluminum wheel onto a steel hub does not seem ideal). Getyourwheels said they could do it for $85 for the set.

For tires I'm going with Michelin PSS 245/40/R20 which will give me the same circumference as the standard MS 19" wheels. I'll talk to my SC to see if I need to bring it in and have anything done as I have the "+" suspension. I know, whatever I have done will be on me, but since I will wind up width and circumference the same as Tesla OEM 19" I don't expect too much drama.

At two weeks the machined hub rings are the long lead so when they show up I'll make the switch and post pics.

Reactions: DIL
SPX,
Make sure you have a die grinder or a torx set and a belt sander handy. The pockets on the hub mounting face of the new wheels does not line up 100% with the protruding brake disc retention screw. I marked the part that hit the wheel with a sharpe then removed the screw and used a belt sander to remove just a bit of the head so that the portion that was hitting was not flush with the disc. You'll see what I'm talking about when you pull one of your stock wheels (if you do not already know).

You may want to snag a spare rim just in case you take one out years from now and TSW is no longer making them. It happened to me once in the past where I basically scrapped the other three rims. I learned my lesson, buy a spare as cheap insurance and have not needed one since.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Question. This is my FIRST post, btw. I talked to T Sportline and they recommended only for Model S the tire size 245/40-20 for 20×9.0″ wheels with the TST 20s. They also stated it will be dangerous to install a 255/40 ZR20 tire on the TST wheels. Does anyone know why they are saying this?
Should I follow their recommendation?

Many people including myself run 255/40-20 on 20*9" wheels. For the Michelin Pilot Sport (best summer street tire on the market, period), Michelin says you can safely use anything from a 20*8.5" to 20*10". 245s are closer to stock diameter, but 255s work fine in all situations except when reversing at an angle, when the fronts rub a bit. Even this likely could be solved by using a heat gun on the fender liners, if it really bothered you. But dangerous? No. I had 245/40-20 ContiSportContact 5p before and they were far inferior, despite being the "correct" size.

SPX,
Make sure you have a die grinder or a torx set and a belt sander handy. The pockets on the hub mounting face of the new wheels does not line up 100% with the protruding brake disc retention screw. I marked the part that hit the wheel with a sharpe then removed the screw and used a belt sander to remove just a bit of the head so that the portion that was hitting was not flush with the disc. You'll see what I'm talking about when you pull one of your stock wheels (if you do not already know).

You may want to snag a spare rim just in case you take one out years from now and TSW is no longer making them. It happened to me once in the past where I basically scrapped the other three rims. I learned my lesson, buy a spare as cheap insurance and have not needed one since.

Copy all Lola. I have the tools required to remove and resurface the screw and I will add another rim to my order. Thank you for your advice!

I'd be interested to hear how the ESE CF wheels are doing on Teslas. I wonder if they have any issues. I've read that CF can be more difficult to balance and design perfectly for NVH and ride quality.

I'd like to buy a used set of them at some point, 20's preferred. Holler if you can help.

"switch to 20 inch rims, you might risk damaging the Tesla’s body structure. And in doing so, because the damage is caused by a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]party product, will as a result void the warranty." Hmm, that's concerning...

That's total fiction and an irrational fear. Tesla delivers many cars with 19" wheels. Will they void their own warranty because 19" wheels might damage the "body structure." Total BS.