Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch Uberturbine wheels on Model Y + optional thicker 45 profile sidewall.

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
I tried 245/45/20 and took them off after one day. The car bounces too much and lost road feel. Especially with acceleration boost option the LRY wants to run fast and hard. I now put 255/40/20 Pilot Sport 4S on and it’s like a new car with instant torque and unreal grip.
Which tires did you try in 255/45-20?

smithrukami

May 8, 2019
irvine
Which tires did you try in 255/45-20?
Sumitomo. Maybe that’s partly why. I did notice great grip and feel with M3P stock 235/35/20 but they look terrible in wheel well. Now I have pilot sport 4S in 255/40/20 and they feel really good. Wondering if I could go 235/40 or 245/35 for improvement??

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
Sumitomo. Maybe that’s partly why. I did notice great grip and feel with M3P stock 235/35/20 but they look terrible in wheel well. Now I have pilot sport 4S in 255/40/20 and they feel really good. Wondering if I could go 235/40 or 245/35 for improvement??
I was just curious, becuase I would've thougth that tire model would have more an impact on what you describe, vs simply a small change in profile. Especially since on my other car, I have 275/40 on the rears, which is the same sidewall height as a 245/45. I've run that size in several different tires by Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone, and never noticed anything like what you described. I would at least try to keep the stock tire width tho, so I wouldn't drop down to 235 or 245. Especially since the load rating on the sizes you mentioned are much lower than the OEM size.

smithrukami

May 8, 2019
irvine
I was just curious, becuase I would've thougth that tire model would have more an impact on what you describe, vs simply a small change in profile. Especially since on my other car, I have 275/40 on the rears, which is the same sidewall height as a 245/45. I've run that size in several different tires by Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone, and never noticed anything like what you described. I would at least try to keep the stock tire width tho, so I wouldn't drop down to 235 or 245. Especially since the load rating on the sizes you mentioned are much lower than the OEM size.
Thank you. I’m a novice. But doing research. I bought M3P wheels with 235/35/20 and ran them for one week. Amazing road feel. Looked weird in wheel well so I replaced. Now my PS4 have 500 miles and feel great. But I have to admit the 235/35/20 felt a bit more track ready probably because of profile. I can’t imagine 245/35 or 245/40 would be worse maybe just look too small. But I think the car is so close to a M3 it can take a range of sizes.

MaxHG

May 12, 2021
North Miami Beach
I wanted to chime in now that I have over 1000 miles on the wheel and tire set.

Overall I’m very happy I went this route but there are a few things to be aware about.

1) Efficiency : Wh/mi went up from 270 to 295. I do mostly highway driving. So a 9% decrease in range. This is due to both the wheel aerodynamics and the tire rolling resistance. (Inflated to 46 psi.)
2) Noise Vibration and Harshness : Observed improvements in all these categories. I feel that the frequency of the harsher smaller bumps have been reduced significantly.
3) Cornering : There is a more spongy feel when cornering hard. Makes sense and the sidewall is softer. It’s definitely noticeable for the avid enthusiast.
4) Appearance : I’m a lot happier with the way these tires and wheels look together. A more.. rugged look with the Cross Climate 2s. Thicker profile tires retains the same sidewall as the Gemini wheels and tires also helped me reduce curb rash.
Hi,

Great info, thank you for taking time to share. I am looking to do the same setup. I do mostly Highway 120 miles a day Thus prefer to maintain as much range as possible.

I am curious as to why you experienced a loss in range with the Uberturbine 20”. Tesla shows the Model Y with either the 19” Gemini or 20” Inductions advertised with the LRY as having 326 miles range. Naturally the performance with 21” it shows less range. Did you put the same size tire the factory 20” Induction Wheels have?
Thank you in advance for any info.
Max

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC