Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch Uberturbine wheels on Model Y + optional thicker 45 profile sidewall.

Hey, curious what your wh/mi is like with the 20's and also the CC2's. I've heard the CC2's are fairly inefficient.

And no rubbing anywhere, correct? I'm really excited to get this same set up.
I don’t pay much attention to the wh/m and drive accelerate hard whenever I get a safe opportunity, but I’ll isolate a few miles at 70mph and get back to you.

Nope, no rubbing at all

MatildaModel3

Apr 15, 2017
Chicago
Loving my crossclimate 2’s at 255/45r20.

Attachments

• 37F55DA4-F83B-4355-BA95-FA2C2BC5630B.jpeg
    37F55DA4-F83B-4355-BA95-FA2C2BC5630B.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 47
Pretty good coming from 19" Gemini. Since I am in Socal weather here was primary sunny and dry so no benefit on "weather" tires. Overall it's been a great drive so far.
Thanks! I’m also socal but make frequent trips to the mountains and want a single wheel/tire setup that will perform decently in snow without sacrificing too much in terms of handling/performance everywhere else. Not sure how the (relatively) narrow tires would feel on the Performance.

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
Thanks! I’m also socal but make frequent trips to the mountains and want a single wheel/tire setup that will perform decently in snow without sacrificing too much in terms of handling/performance everywhere else. Not sure how the (relatively) narrow tires would feel on the Performance.
Are you comparing performance/handling between the stock staggered setup to a squared A/S setup, or are you comparing a squared summer setup to a squared A/S setup? I ask, because you are changing two attributes at the same time.

Comparing squared to squared, the only difference I think you'll notice is at the limit dry handling. That's how I felt on my other car, when I switched the staggered Pilot Sport Summers to a staggered Pilot Sport A/S. Dry handling was very good, but not quite as good as the summers. However I felt the wet handling was near identical... This was reflected in pretty much every review I've seen as well. In the case of the DWS 06-Plus, I saw the tirerack review, when you look at their charts and read their reviews, the DWS 06 Plus, exceeded the Pilot Sport A/S 4 in both dry and wet handling, so should translate into an even smaller gap in performance discrepancy between your summer and a/s setup...

The main factor you can't get around, is if you are comparing the staggered setup to a squared setup... I'm not sure how prone the Y is to rotate the back, as I've never taken mine to the limits yet... But if my Infiniti is any indicator, it's easier to rotate the back around when running on a squared setup then a staggered setup.

On a side note, on my commute this morning, I was pondering tires, and I realized something. Unlike other cars with a staggered setup, the Tesla uses the rear tires for regen braking, which means if you one pedal drive most of the time, the rears will probably wear faster than other RWD biased cars. Which means on a staggered setup, you'd go thru tires faster than other RWD staggered cars.

For me, personally, I got sick of the hassles associated with a staggered setup, which is why on my next car, I decided to go for a squared setup.

Reactions: Heintzer
Know this is an Ubertine thread, but figured i‘d take a shot. On a MY LR with 20” inductions (9.5” vs 9”uber) would it be best to go for the 245/45r20 or the 255/45r20s? I thought the load rating was too low but for the Michelin CC2 245/45r20 it’s 103V XL vs 105V XL on the 255s. I’m unsure of the ride difference/range/safety/etc. It looks like the speedo difference would be closer on the 245 at -2.3% vs -3.5% on the 255s.

Last edited:
Know this is an Ubertine thread, but figured i‘d take a shot. On a MY LR with 20” inductions (9.5” vs 9”uber) would it be best to go for the 245/45r20 or the 255/45r20s? I thought the load rating was too low but for the Michelin CC2 245/45r20 it’s 103V XL vs 105V XL on the 255s. I’m unsure of the ride difference/range/safety/etc. It looks like the speedo difference would be closer on the 245 at -2.3% vs -3.5% on the 255s.
Ignore this message, the 245s only fit up to 9” rims. Over 60 minutes so couldn’t delete. I guess 255s it is.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC