Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 or 30 amp breaker for tesla wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently renting a condo in Florida and it bums me that there's no way to charge there and virtually no j1772 around. I have to drive 20min to get to the nearest supercharger. I would love any charging, even 10A...
We face a similar situation visiting some relatives. There is a supercharger but it's a half hour each way. Plugging into 120 is absurdly slow, but running an extension cord to the dryer outlet is very usable and will fully charge overnight. Easily triple the speed even dropping to 16A to avoid the voltage drop.

Not really the point of the discussion but the circuit at home is 6/3 NM on a 50A breaker. It was originally a 14-50 outlet with a gen 2 mobile connector. Admittedly my concern over the cable temperature is unscientific, as you'd certainly assume Tesla knows what they're doing, but the other motivation for "dialing it back" was to avoid stressing the $8 leviton 14-50 discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. When the wall connector was installed I provisioned it for 50A and kept the same breaker, as I have some hesitation over over the 60A breaker on the #6 NM even though some say it's fine.

OP stated "Before we had the wall connector we used the mobile connector on a 14-50 outlet. I didn't like the way the cable got warm and found that dialing the charge rate on the car back to 16 amps kept it cool as a cucumber." Assuming this install was up to code there is a 40A or 50A 240V charging circuit. Now that the 14-50 receptacle has been replaced with a Wall Connector the circuit should be able to support charging at 32 amps as with the 14-50 and Mobile Connector, possibly 40 amps if this is a 50A circuit. "I did not like the way the cable got warm" is not a valid way to measure the temperature of the cable, connector or receptacle nor is it a good reason to limit the charging to 16 amps.

The OP is free to do what they want with their property. I'm free to take my vacation money and rental business elsewhere. I also would not consider a rental where I could not control the thermostat or if there was a timer on the water heater.

I usually agree with you, but in this case I simply do not understand where you are coming from. Its a vacation rental, and a locked out thermostat or timer on the water heater is not nearly the same thing (not even close to being the same thing).

You act like in the vacation listing its going to say "I put in a 50 amp circuit but downgraded it" or something like that, which we obviously know that no one who owned a vacation rental property would do. It would simply be an available circuit, and NO ONE would ever, ever know what the wiring was behind it, or why the circuit was 20amps.

In your water heater / thermostat example you also wouldnt find that out till you were there, but you WOULD reasonably find that out soon after you walked into the properly. You are not going to know what wiring is behind any HARD WIRED charging circuit at all, unless you are going to take the wall connector off the wall and inspect it, then get upset that the charging isnt faster, which no one is going to do.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Negative reviews are actually a really big deal. I'm already concerned the rental company isn't going to like this just because it's one more thing to deal with, more downside risk than upside potential. I could put in the listing "Tesla charging, 5.7kw max".

As for the NACS vs J1772 question the last thing I want is somebody burning the place down with some non-Tesla, although if they brought one of those lectron adapters I guess nothing would stop them. (come to think of it was that a config option on the wall connector to only allow Teslas)

Negative reviews are actually a really big deal. I'm already concerned the rental company isn't going to like this just because it's one more thing to deal with, more downside risk than upside potential. I could put in the listing "Tesla charging, 5.7kw max".

As for the NACS vs J1772 question the last thing I want is somebody burning the place down with some non-Tesla, although if they brought one of those lectron adapters I guess nothing would stop them. (come to think of it was that a config option on the wall connector to only allow Teslas)
Right... the solution is a Tesla HPWC that comes equipped with a J1772. https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-wall-connector

And you've already figured out the solution to the bad review problem, "J1772 charging, 5.7kw max"

I don't think a Chevy, BMW, VW, Nissan, etc... is any more likely to burn down your place than a Tesla. Just put in a quality EVSE.

Reactions: Rocky_H
6 gauge NM-B is rated for up to 55 amps so there is no issue with a 50A breaker and configuring the Wall Connector for a 50A circuit. I can understand dialing the Wall Connector back, setting for a 40A circuit so that charging would be limited to 32A (7.7kW) but down grading the charging any more than that just makes no sense.

6 gauge NM-B is rated for up to 55 amps so there is no issue with a 50A breaker and configuring the Wall Connector for a 50A circuit. I can understand dialing the Wall Connector back, setting for a 40A circuit so that charging would be limited to 32A (7.7kW) but down grading the charging any more than that just makes no sense.
In a hypothetical vacation rental, unless you’re taking things apart that you really shouldn’t be, you really have no idea what wiring is being used or how much capacity there is in the panel.

And in any case, I could easily see someone going with with 6AWG wiring even if they don’t have the capacity for the full rate, just so they don’t have to redo it if they end up deciding to upgrade the service coming into the house

In a hypothetical vacation rental, unless you’re taking things apart that you really shouldn’t be, you really have no idea what wiring is being used or how much capacity there is in the panel.

And in any case, I could easily see someone going with with 6AWG wiring even if they don’t have the capacity for the full rate, just so they don’t have to redo it if they end up deciding to upgrade the service coming into the house
I was thinking of either that or maybe splitting the difference and putting in #8 just for that reason. It's a 200A panel but the incoming service is 100A. I don't foresee upgrading the service in my lifetime unless they outlaw natural gas.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to go for it and note the kw rating in the picture and listing. Pretty sure I can go 30amp circuit, we'll see what the electrician says next week. Tesla offers the option to take the WC all the way down to 15a so they must think it's got value. Even that would still be twice as fast as a wall outlet.
The remaining question is NACS vs J1772. True every Tesla came with the J1772 adapter, but NACS is 80% of the market and a number of Tesla drivers may have misplaced the adapter, never used it or not even be aware of it. They do make NACS to J1772 adapters that are relatively inexpensive. It boils down to who gets inconvenienced dealing with an adapter. I'm leaning towards the 20%, those people already made the choice to be inconvenienced :)

Is this a long term thing or short term thing? I would be inclined to say a J1772 setup would cover 100% of renters and you could still provide a Tesla/J1772 adapter at the rental for those Tesla people that may have forgotten their adapter somewhere.
This would protect you from people plugging into random outlets because they don’t have a Tesla.

It also keeps the current draw under your control, which is better for you and your panel.
I hear the Air conditioner/heat pumps in Florida are huge.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to go for it and note the kw rating in the picture and listing. Pretty sure I can go 30amp circuit, we'll see what the electrician says next week. Tesla offers the option to take the WC all the way down to 15a so they must think it's got value. Even that would still be twice as fast as a wall outlet.
The remaining question is NACS vs J1772. True every Tesla came with the J1772 adapter, but NACS is 80% of the market and a number of Tesla drivers may have misplaced the adapter, never used it or not even be aware of it. They do make NACS to J1772 adapters that are relatively inexpensive. It boils down to who gets inconvenienced dealing with an adapter. I'm leaning towards the 20%, those people already made the choice to be inconvenienced :)

This paragraph about NACS or J1772 I just don't think makes any sense.
True every Tesla came with the J1772 adapter, but NACS is 80% of the market
...while J1772 does cover 100% of the market because the Teslas INCLUDE the adapter.

and a number of Tesla drivers may have misplaced the adapter,
Very unlikely.
never used it
Irrelevant.
or not even be aware of it.
Possible, but still not very relevant. They DO have it.
They do make NACS to J1772 adapters that are relatively inexpensive.
But since these are not sold by any of the actual OEM car makers, people will not have these, and it's FAR more likely that people won't know it exists.

It boils down to who gets inconvenienced dealing with an adapter. I'm leaning towards the 20%, those people already made the choice to be inconvenienced
Right. If you go with J1772, no one gets inconvenienced. If you go with NACS, 20% of the people get inconvenienced.

And there is an additional factor to this. The non Supercharger network is a difficult unreliable mess, so people with J1772 cars need and appreciate the overnight charging far more. I don't really even care to try to look for charging at places I stay overnight when traveling because the Supercharger network is so reliable and easy.

Last edited:
I mean it’s needed to use nearly any public charger. If they’re specifically seeking accommodations that have an EV charger, they’re probably aware of j1772 plugs.
People on this forum are EV enthusiasts, probably many from CA, who made their bones on patchwork L2. I know it's dangerous to draw conclusions from anecdotes but my friends and family members with Teslas either charge at home with the mobile connector or wall connector or the go to superchargers, and have never been to any other public chargers. Frankly in three years with our Tesla I only did once, and it was only because it was free and it brought back decade old memories of the LEAF. It seems like Tesla is succeeding in bringing the technology to the masses, and the masses aren't interested in parking for four hours at the public library.
At any rate I appreciate the input. You've given me a lot to think about.

Reactions: gtae07
People on this forum are EV enthusiasts, probably many from CA, who made their bones on patchwork L2. I know it's dangerous to draw conclusions from anecdotes but my friends and family members with Teslas either charge at home with the mobile connector or wall connector or the go to superchargers, and have never been to any other public chargers. Frankly in three years with our Tesla I only did once, and it was only because it was free and it brought back decade old memories of the LEAF. It seems like Tesla is succeeding in bringing the technology to the masses, and the masses aren't interested in parking for four hours at the public library.
At any rate I appreciate the input. You've given me a lot to think about.
Imagine how pissed off those same masses would be to come to your property to plug in their non-Tesla EV and get stranded.

Imagine how pissed off those same masses would be to come to your property to plug in their non-Tesla EV and get stranded.
Just for a little perspective it would be no different from any other rental property in town.
If I go with the NACS WC I would clearly advertise it as Tesla charging. For the price difference to the 1772 WC I could leave a Lectron adapter hanging on the wall.

Reactions: MattM24