Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ New Owner Gripes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

I've had the car for 2 weeks now and have some first impressions and gripes. I know these threads bug people so don't get too upset. I still like the car. I'm sure many of these things have been fixed in newer models, have aftermarket fixes, or some type of fixes I'm not aware of. Feel free to give me some tips on potentially improving these items.

1. I'm tall and fat and the seats/leg rest positioning isn't great. I rest my right knee on the side of the console and it's firm and uncomfortable.
  2. It's hard to buckle my seat belt every time.
  3. A pillar is a bit thick.
  4. B pillar so far back I can't rest my arm on the window. The belt line is too high also.
  5. Hard to get in and out.
  6. Heavy.
  7. Brakes are a little grabby.
  8. Wont stay in lowered suspension mode while driving.
  9. 3G is a bit slow. Nav/ other stuff loads slowly.
  10. Audio system is really quite bad. Very weak medium strength. Rock music sounds bad especially. Would like to have seen more speakers/bigger mid-woofers.
  11. No turn by turn audio instructions?
  12. Voice commands don't tend to work/slow also.
  13. Auto garage difficult to set distance. I want it to open when I'm far away then close when I leave but it gets confused sometimes. I've had it try to close the door on my car while pulling into the garage.
  14. Cabin feels a bit cheap, stiff, and lack of overall plushness.
  15. Rear window visibility is poor.
  16. B pillars are thick and difficult to see blind spots.
  17. Lots of wind noise on highway.
  18. Would like more seat controls.
  19. Would like an entry/exit mode to have the seat and steering wheel move so its easier to get in and out.
  20. A simple console storage box would be nice for odds and ends.
  21. Some type of phone holder near the big screen would be handy, without having to use an aftermarket a/c vent magnet.
  22. A little difficult to switch through music favorites, takes too many screen presses. There's like 18 hip hop channel options and none are hard core gangster rap style music. It's just 18 shades of pop-hop or 90's hits. Same with rock channels. But rock sounds terrible in the car anyways.
  23. I'd like more options and configurations for the dash screen.
  24. I'd like the door handles to open while I'm further away from the car. I have to stand for a second near the car for them to present sometimes when approaching from the rear.
  25. I want to be able to play videos easily on the big screen.
  26. USB and common file interface stuff is awkward and poorly done.
  27. Door handle near the windshield isn't correct, Really should be closer to the center of the door where the hand naturally falls.
  28. I don't like the power cut when low battery and charging is slower than advertised as well as range. Oh well.
  29. Lots of traction control intervention that feels awkward. Car needs more grip. PS2 tires aren't enough.
  30. Bumpy rough ride with the 21's. Would prefer 20's or just more tire on the 21's maybe. Not sure what fits without rubbing though.
  31. Some extra squeaking here and there from rear gate struts to brake pedal.
  32. Lots of interior trim parts are gaping or coming loose.
  33. Center screen does have glare and smudge issues.
  34. The lines on the rear view parking system don't seem very accurate. Still parking using mirrors.
  35. A 110v outlet would be nice.
  36. Chrome handles always smudged. Prefer body colored probably. Same goes for the rest of the chrome. Probably prefer body color or gloss/matte black materials.
  37. Rear seat head/leg room needs improvements as well as rear storage/cup holders/plug outlets.
  38. In general there seems to be too much rear trunk storage focus and not enough on driver and occupant comfort and space. I'd trade half the trunk space for more interior comfort and space.
  39. Non-adjustable headrest means my head can't sit on the headrest pad.
  40. Seats really just need more comfort, padding, adjustments, bolstering(adjustable). The seats also don't sit low enough for me.
  41. Steering wheel should firm up when parked so I can use it as a holding point when getting out.
  42. I sit back so far that I have to lean forward to use the main display. Not sure what a fix for this would be. Maybe a telescoping center screen?
  43. It's fast but.. I really doesn't seem as fast as advertised. I'd say it feels more like 4.7 seconds to 60's and falls a little flat after that. I know this is a silly complaint for a street car. I just figured this thing would be a little crazy at all speeds but it's pretty mild and reasonable. I suppose this is why I need to get the dual motor insane mode someday! Hopefully the future will have battery pack and DU upgrades for older models. If I could get an extra 100 miles of range and maybe 20% more power I'd be totally happy and content. I'd be willing to pay pretty well for that.
  44. Limits of service, warranties, lack of supercharging locations and service stations. All that stuff is a bit of a chore. I know it's always improving but yea.
  45. The car just seems too big. For how little interior space there is, it could be a smaller car. Cut 20% off the nose and the trunk, put some in the cabin for occupants and make it a slightly smaller car. This thing has too much storage actually. Perhaps this goes hand-in-hand with my desire for a coupe version. Something that's large and comfortable for 2 people and occasional back row occupants.
  46. Front windshield is a little small for me. Goes along with being too tall for car. Would like more visibility upwards especially to see lights while first in line at a stop light. Currently have to lean forward and look up waiting on the green. Something akin to the Model X windshield without being so extreme would be great.
  47. Larger panoramic roof/full convertible roof would be nice.
  48. Interior lights are pretty dim.
  49. The doors are awkward designed on the inside. Hard to open to the correct angle for egress. I think they tried too hard and it doesn't quite work.
  50. Would be nice to have just a couple more buttons for everyday things. Reprogrammable steering wheel controls are always handy.
  51. Noticed things like A/C is pretty loud and windshield wipers squeak and are loud in operation. Handful of little things like that need sorting out.

Well that's my quick, off the top of my head, list of things I haven't loved or would like to see improved on the car. Still really enjoy it!

No turn by turn audio instructions?

Turn by turn is there, you just have to unmute it.

Lots of batteries.

3G is a bit slow. Nav/ other stuff loads slowly.

Get the LTE upgrade $500.

Lots of wind noise on highway.

If you're still under warranty, have the pano roof checked out at the service center.

Would like an entry/exit mode to have the seat and steering wheel move so its easier to get in and out.

You can set up one yourself.

Some type of phone holder near the big screen would be handy, without having to use an aftermarket a/c vent magnet.

This is awesome: Magnetic Phone Holder (Slimline) Get one.

I'd like more options and configurations for the dash screen.

Wouldn't we all? Welcome to Tesla. It's that way, and you WILL like it.

I'd like the door handles to open while I'm further away from the car. I

Double click the key fob when approaching the car.

I want to be able to play videos easily on the big screen.

No can do. No video allowed.

I don't like the power cut when low battery

You'd prefer not getting to where you want to go over having more power? It's also there to protect the battery from pulling to high a charge. Otherwise your batter would degrade very fast.

Center screen does have glare and smudge issues.

Get one of these in matte finish: Screen Protectors (single pack) for Tesla Model S and Model X

Chrome handles always smudged. Prefer body colored probably. Same goes for the rest of the chrome. Probably prefer body color or gloss/matte black materials.

Get those parts Plastidipped, Autoflexed, painted, or vinyl wrapped. Lots of options.
It's fast but.. I really doesn't seem as fast as advertised. I'd say it feels more like 4.7 seconds to 60's and falls a little flat after that. I know this is a silly complaint for a street car. I just figured this thing would be a little crazy at all speeds but it's pretty mild and reasonable.

Something's wrong with your car. My P85+ blows the doors off my BMW e39 M5. And that car has 5 liters, 400 hp.

I suppose this is why I need to get the dual motor insane mode someday! .... If I could get an extra 100 miles of range and maybe 20% more power I'd be totally happy and content. I'd be willing to pay pretty well for that.

Maybe you should have started there? P90D maybe?

Hopefully the future will have battery pack and DU upgrades for older models.

That's a LONG way off, if it even happens. Although some other people might be offering pack upgrades.

The car just seems too big. For how little interior space there is, it could be a smaller car. Cut 20% off the nose and the trunk, put some in the cabin for occupants and make it a slightly smaller car.

You want more range, but a smaller car?

Does not compute. The batteries have to go somewhere.

This thing has too much storage actually. Perhaps this goes hand-in-hand with my desire for a coupe version. Something that's large and comfortable for 2 people and occasional back row occupants.

As others have said, it sounds like you want a different car. That Model S isn't that.

Larger panoramic roof/full convertible roof would be nice.

:eek: Not sure it could get any bigger. Convertible will never happen. Again, sounds like you want a MB SL500.

Interior lights are pretty dim.

Upgrade! Ultra-Bright LED Interior Lights

A pillar is a bit thick.

Yes, that's true.

I noticed in your other thread, you posted:

I went ahead and ordered some bits. Got brighter interior and license plate lights, frunk cargo nets, the center console organizer, some tesla tire stem caps, key fob case, and screen protector.

So why are those things still included on your new gripe list? It seems that would have fixed several of the items.

Reactions: CSFTN
OP, is this a serious list or did you just troll the forums?

As an 'off the top of your head list" it's amazing you still enjoy the car. Given height and girth, I'd say an MS is not the vehicle for you. I'm at best average height/weight and find the entry and exit reasonably cramped. I have a friend who is 6'4" and 280+ - he simply cannot fit in the driver's seat.

So much of your list would be discovered with a single test drive, or indeed just reading the forums it's hard to imagine how you got where you are today. Issues with chrome seem weird, it's not like it's a surprise that chrome is a smudge magnet.

You mentioned being prepared to pay more for more. Test drive a P90D, if you like it, buy it - fit and finish will be better, power will be better. Budget on dechrome (by the sounds of it), wheels and tires. Of course big loses on the P85+ if you bought from Tesla - if not, you might not lose too much.

Turn by turn is there, you just have to unmute it.
Got it working, thanks!

Lots of batteries.
I know. Just saying. This car would feel amazing with about 1000 less lbs. I know you can say that about any car. I went from a 2800 lb car, to 3100, to 3800, and now 4800. I just love that light car feeling. The car does handle great for its size tho.

Get the LTE upgrade $500.
This is something I am very interested in. When I make the trip to Jacksonville for my service and warranty repairs I'll ask about it. Is there any other upgrade associated with this other than LTE speed? Is it really noticeably faster?

If you're still under warranty, have the pano roof checked out at the service center.
I will. It sounds like it's coming from the windshield, mirrors, and nose of the car. Typical wind noise. Less than my truck but more than my other cars. It's tolerable just surprising given how aerodynamic the car is supposed to be. I've heard newer cars are better about this and have more sound deadening.

You can set up one yourself.
I've read about setting up multiple memory settings for this but, it would be inconvenient. I just wanna press park and have my chair and wheel adjust. Should be a super easy feature to add but I'm not an expert.

This is awesome: Magnetic Phone Holder (Slimline) Get one.
This looks great. Ordering one now.

Wouldn't we all? Welcome to Tesla. It's that way, and you WILL like it.
Yikes!@

Double click the key fob when approaching the car.
I like the convenience of never using my keys tho. I'd just like an option to program the unlock distance.

No can do. No video allowed.
Yea, lame. I plan on just using a tablet to play stuff on trips. I like to listen to shows on trips, usually Top Gear episodes.

You'd prefer not getting to where you want to go over having more power? It's also there to protect the battery from pulling to high a charge. Otherwise your batter would degrade very fast.
I know it's there to protect the battery. It would be nice if it didn't need to be though.

Get one of these in matte finish: Screen Protectors (single pack) for Tesla Model S and Model X
I'll try it. I just don't like the idea of trading off some clarity and prettiness. We'll see.

Get those parts Plastidipped, Autoflexed, painted, or vinyl wrapped. Lots of options.
Yea it's an option. Just think they would have known chrome handles would be a mess.

Something's wrong with your car. My P85+ blows the doors off my BMW e39 M5. And that car has 5 liters, 400 hp.
It's fast but I like having too much power. It's really acceptable. I just want a little more. My last car was a 500hp/700tq BMW 3 series and it had way too much power but I loved that. I like it to get a little scary when I'm on the throttle.

Maybe you should have started there? P90D maybe?
This was pretty much the cheapest Tesla I could get into while still being under warranty and having the options I wanted. This was a pretty big purchase for me as well. The next step up was a P85D at around $80k used.

That's a LONG way off, if it even happens. Although some other people might be offering pack upgrades.
I've read some threads about it. I imagine it'll happen in the not too distant future. My guess is 3-4 years. Need the Model 3 out and Gigafactory running full production I reckon.

You want more range, but a smaller car?

Does not compute. The batteries have to go somewhere.
I imagine they could make the packs more dense, or change geometry slightly. It's just a hair long and wide for my taste. Mostly the lack of interior space and the vast amounts of storage irk me. I'm sure it's perfect for a smaller person with a family that hauls lots of stuff. Definitely should make the car for the masses and not just big dudes.

As others have said, it sounds like you want a different car. That Model S isn't that.
Yea, ideally I want a Model S sized convertible/coupe but beggars can't be choosers. The roadster will be too small for me probably.

:eek: Not sure it could get any bigger. Convertible will never happen. Again, sounds like you want a MB SL500.
My other option was an M6 convertible. I liked it quite well. I just didn't want an ICE car really. Pretty done with gas.

Upgrade! Ultra-Bright LED Interior Lights
I'll try these soon. Just haven't had time to dig up a DIY and start tinkering.

Yes, that's true.

It's fast but I like having too much power. It's really acceptable. I just want a little more. My last car was a 500hp/700tq BMW 3 series and it had way too much power but I loved that. I like it to get a little scary when I'm on the throttle.

That still totally described my P85+.. and that's not even a D car with 'Insane' mode!!! (Which, by the way, I'm getting in about a week!!).

Shameless plug!!: P85+ for sale ($70,000): 2013 P85+, Loaded, Extended Warranty, 8-year Service Plan

:)

@tallypwner Wow after two weeks you come up with 51 reasons why you don't like your car? Really? I am with @CarlK and @larmor and agree you should sell it. Too bad. The P85+ is a fantastic car for me, but I guess not for you. As I read your list I could respond to each item as @HankLloydRight has done. But to have 51 issues, the sheer volume of issues is insurmountable. It's like two weeks into a marriage and now you have 51 gripes about your wife! Sell the p85+. Many of your issues would be an issue in a new Tesla also. A pillar and B pillar placement, Seat width, etc. Sorry to see you go, but any Tesla is not for you.

Howdy,

I've had the car for 2 weeks now and have some first impressions and gripes. I know these threads bug people so don't get too upset. I still like the car. I'm sure many of these things have been fixed in newer models, have aftermarket fixes, or some type of fixes I'm not aware of. Feel free to give me some tips on potentially improving these items.

1. I'm tall and fat and the seats/leg rest positioning isn't great. I rest my right knee on the side of the console and it's firm and uncomfortable.
  2. It's hard to buckle my seat belt every time.
  3. A pillar is a bit thick.
  4. B pillar so far back I can't rest my arm on the window. The belt line is too high also.
  5. Hard to get in and out.
  6. Heavy.
  7. Brakes are a little grabby.
  8. Wont stay in lowered suspension mode while driving.
  9. 3G is a bit slow. Nav/ other stuff loads slowly.
  10. Audio system is really quite bad. Very weak medium strength. Rock music sounds bad especially. Would like to have seen more speakers/bigger mid-woofers.
  11. No turn by turn audio instructions?
  12. Voice commands don't tend to work/slow also.
  13. Auto garage difficult to set distance. I want it to open when I'm far away then close when I leave but it gets confused sometimes. I've had it try to close the door on my car while pulling into the garage.
  14. Cabin feels a bit cheap, stiff, and lack of overall plushness.
  15. Rear window visibility is poor.
  16. B pillars are thick and difficult to see blind spots.
  17. Lots of wind noise on highway.
  18. Would like more seat controls.
  19. Would like an entry/exit mode to have the seat and steering wheel move so its easier to get in and out.
  20. A simple console storage box would be nice for odds and ends.
  21. Some type of phone holder near the big screen would be handy, without having to use an aftermarket a/c vent magnet.
  22. A little difficult to switch through music favorites, takes too many screen presses. There's like 18 hip hop channel options and none are hard core gangster rap style music. It's just 18 shades of pop-hop or 90's hits. Same with rock channels. But rock sounds terrible in the car anyways.
  23. I'd like more options and configurations for the dash screen.
  24. I'd like the door handles to open while I'm further away from the car. I have to stand for a second near the car for them to present sometimes when approaching from the rear.
  25. I want to be able to play videos easily on the big screen.
  26. USB and common file interface stuff is awkward and poorly done.
  27. Door handle near the windshield isn't correct, Really should be closer to the center of the door where the hand naturally falls.
  28. I don't like the power cut when low battery and charging is slower than advertised as well as range. Oh well.
  29. Lots of traction control intervention that feels awkward. Car needs more grip. PS2 tires aren't enough.
  30. Bumpy rough ride with the 21's. Would prefer 20's or just more tire on the 21's maybe. Not sure what fits without rubbing though.
  31. Some extra squeaking here and there from rear gate struts to brake pedal.
  32. Lots of interior trim parts are gaping or coming loose.
  33. Center screen does have glare and smudge issues.
  34. The lines on the rear view parking system don't seem very accurate. Still parking using mirrors.
  35. A 110v outlet would be nice.
  36. Chrome handles always smudged. Prefer body colored probably. Same goes for the rest of the chrome. Probably prefer body color or gloss/matte black materials.
  37. Rear seat head/leg room needs improvements as well as rear storage/cup holders/plug outlets.
  38. In general there seems to be too much rear trunk storage focus and not enough on driver and occupant comfort and space. I'd trade half the trunk space for more interior comfort and space.
  39. Non-adjustable headrest means my head can't sit on the headrest pad.
  40. Seats really just need more comfort, padding, adjustments, bolstering(adjustable). The seats also don't sit low enough for me.
  41. Steering wheel should firm up when parked so I can use it as a holding point when getting out.
  42. I sit back so far that I have to lean forward to use the main display. Not sure what a fix for this would be. Maybe a telescoping center screen?
  43. It's fast but.. I really doesn't seem as fast as advertised. I'd say it feels more like 4.7 seconds to 60's and falls a little flat after that. I know this is a silly complaint for a street car. I just figured this thing would be a little crazy at all speeds but it's pretty mild and reasonable. I suppose this is why I need to get the dual motor insane mode someday! Hopefully the future will have battery pack and DU upgrades for older models. If I could get an extra 100 miles of range and maybe 20% more power I'd be totally happy and content. I'd be willing to pay pretty well for that.
  44. Limits of service, warranties, lack of supercharging locations and service stations. All that stuff is a bit of a chore. I know it's always improving but yea.
  45. The car just seems too big. For how little interior space there is, it could be a smaller car. Cut 20% off the nose and the trunk, put some in the cabin for occupants and make it a slightly smaller car. This thing has too much storage actually. Perhaps this goes hand-in-hand with my desire for a coupe version. Something that's large and comfortable for 2 people and occasional back row occupants.
  46. Front windshield is a little small for me. Goes along with being too tall for car. Would like more visibility upwards especially to see lights while first in line at a stop light. Currently have to lean forward and look up waiting on the green. Something akin to the Model X windshield without being so extreme would be great.
  47. Larger panoramic roof/full convertible roof would be nice.
  48. Interior lights are pretty dim.
  49. The doors are awkward designed on the inside. Hard to open to the correct angle for egress. I think they tried too hard and it doesn't quite work.
  50. Would be nice to have just a couple more buttons for everyday things. Reprogrammable steering wheel controls are always handy.
  51. Noticed things like A/C is pretty loud and windshield wipers squeak and are loud in operation. Handful of little things like that need sorting out.

Well that's my quick, off the top of my head, list of things I haven't loved or would like to see improved on the car. Still really enjoy it!

I don't know what it is, but I found this list absolutely hilarious. I feel as if many of your concerns are valid however could have been avoided by simply sitting in the car for 5 minutes and possibly asking the forum prior to purchasing.

anyway....

This reminds me of a story of why you should always test drive first...

A buddy of mine was approaching his mid 40s and has never been married . He's not the best looking guy in the world but he had lots of money so he decided to outsource his love. He went to a site for mail order brides, fast forward 6 months, he saw this girl (smokeshow), met up with her in person a few times, and finally decided to tie the knot. She was hot and was trying to get a green card, but 2 weeks after she came we hung out to talk about how things were going and he told me some unsettling news... turns out she had a tallywhacker.

This was 2 years ago and they are still together because he just wanted companionship, but please do yourself a favor and actually test drive the car first, don't be like my friend. He spent north of 15k to bring her over here and he cant really enjoy her company.

I bought my car sight unseen, never had touched a Tesla. I had read all the horror stories on this site, so I was prepared for the car to live on the barge to the service center. Funny, car is as near perfect as any car I've owned.