Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ trade-in value at local BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'll say this as i own the "premium audio" in my P85. i also recently bought a Range Rover Sport and opted for the $6k top-o-the-line Meridian Signature stereo upgrade....

yes, the Range Rover sounds better. but not THAT much better. not $4k better.

i've heard Audi's B&O top end system. i've heard Porsche's Burmeister top end system.

my conclusion? NO car company's upgraded option is worth the money they charge for them. NONE OF THEM. you would be FAR better off going with their most basic, least expensive option, and going to a high-end car-audio company and have them upgrade your system. you will get FAAAR more bang for your $5k than any of these car company's systems.

so even tho the Range Rover's Meridian Signature system sounds better, I would say that Tesla's $2k "Premium Audio Upgrade" has more bang-for-the-buck.

i'm an audiophile and take all this for what it's worth... :redface:

i'm an audiophile and take all this for what it's worth... :redface:

Mmmm, well I can't take it for what it's worth.

B&O and top end 3D Burmester (pls check your spelling) will kill any after market system no matter the price. Notice, I never mentioned Meridian--they are NOT that great a system, hence they are in Range Rover's.

Good luck with you Range Rover and enjoy the 'upgraded' Tesla system, as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

B&O and top end 3D Burmester (pls check your spelling) will kill any after market system no matter the price. Notice, I never mentioned Meridian--they are NOT that great a system, hence they are in Range Rover's.

Good luck with you Range Rover and enjoy the 'upgraded' Tesla system, as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

This is one of your more crazy statements. Give me the aftermarket thank you very much. I'd just like to point out that you come across as someone I would not want to get a beer with....

I think for the money, around $3-4K, porsche offers a decent system with Burmeister, so does Audi with B&O....will it "kill" a system we can design for a client. Absolutely not. Have you seen the speaker quality in a Burmeister? Compare that to a pair of DynAudio and you'll see why just 6 DynAudio speakers up front on a 911 will make your music come alive compared to a complete Burmeister. OEM systems can make decent sound by time aligning so-so speakers. Just open your driver door and then "hear" what music sounds like coming from that single speaker zone.

IMHO, all factory systems, even upgraded ones, are fine up to a certain volume. But at some point, you will get distortion and music will sound muddy. But, the VALUE proposition is there. And for most people, having an audio system that is seamless and "OEM" AND sounds good/great, well....how can you beat that.

But, if you truly want an audio system that SOUNDS like a high-end home audio, well, you need to go aftermarket. A real audio system further involves sound proofing the car, attaching speakers to better housing points to reduce vibration, and having much better speakers, amplifiers and processors that allow the audio system to be "tuned" and "tailored" to the client's ears. What sounds good to me, may not sound good to another person's ears.

As someone already mentioned, if you are really wanting amazing AUDIO, opt for the standard option from OEM, then upgrade aftermarket at a high-end audio tuner that knows your car. You'll be amazed at what you get for $3-5K

I'm not one of the mods here but we should all try and calm down. Audio is totally subjective anyway. Someone may be perfectly happy with a bad system and others not so much. Everyone is difference so these are all opinions.

This thread's a bit snippy!

It terms of the RS7, that's a glorious car. I know it's an ICE, but I still respect it for the fantastic engineering and finish. When I was weighing up the Model S, it was against an S7. Price-wise they were close. The Audi clearn won (for me) on interior finish, but for many personal reasons Tesla won out overall. If I had the time and money, I'd be moving through cars a lot more rapidly that I do currently, as I tend to get a bit bored by them.

In terms of the audio, I think if you read the many threads about it on TMC, the general consensus is that the Model S is relatively unimpressive. I agree with that. The front-loading is just weird, and the A-pillar speakers are just not man enough for the workload that the amp pushes to them. I still think a lot of the shortcomings could be fixed in software, but with the crossovers as they currently are, the mix is just strange at louder volumes. 60% of my listening is now to Podcasts (spoken word) so I'm less bothered, but when I play music the sound systems in all my previous cars (A5, SLK, TT) beat it. The B&O system option for the A7 is something else, it really is, but, it's also the price of a small car (around $6k I think), so we're not comparing apples with apples. When I was spec'ing out an A7, I couldn't bring myself to keep that option, you'd lose most of that investment right away, but if you can find a car on a lot with it already installed, then it's an amazing system.

- - - Updated - - -

I sold my 2013 P85 with 18,000 miles on it for north of $92k. But then again one typically gets less for a trade in than selling it direct. Congratulations on the RS7. It is a fantastic car, I have driven the base model a few times and it really is nice. Significantly quieter than the Model S at higher speeds.

Did you sell privately, or back to Tesla? I ask, because I'm vaguely considering upgrading to a P85 with some of the newer options, but, I don't want to lose a stack of money doing it.

I'm not one of the mods here but we should all try and calm down. Audio is totally subjective anyway. Someone may be perfectly happy with a bad system and others not so much. Everyone is difference so these are all opinions.

that's fine. however, texex91 took a veiled shot at my Range Rover. and that's okay. yet when i hit back, my post is deleted? the Sausage King prizes consistency, and he sees none here.

texex91's entire history at TMC consists of admonishing anyone who didn't get the P85+. then he sells it and has a superiority complex about his Audi. even its stereo. there's a reason so many people consider him objectionable. so maybe you should consider deleting some of his posts in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

please check your spelling.

I hope to buy another once they have a larger battery pack. All's good in my book.
Interesting. How much bigger? Can you elaborate on this point (specifically for your car needs not the general populace)? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, in a car environment, I'm not looking for a concert hall. But that's my priorities. Until we get noiseless roads/tires, I personally fail to see the point.
I'm with you on this one. I'd love a noise-cancelling option that focuses specifically on road, tire, and wind noise -- but leaves horns, sirens, humans, birds, etc. sounds untouched. I'd also like to be able to disable that option (for track use). It's so far down on my Tesla wish list that I haven't even considered mentioning it formally yet though.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla has occasionally bought back good-condition low-mileage Model S from owners wanting to purchase a new/different/better model. I don't think it's any kind of official policy, but it's happened.
It was official policy the day the loaner fleet was announced. The phrasing was something like "when your car is in service, you get a loaner vehicle and if you like the loaner you can keep it (trade in)."

texex91's entire history at TMC consists of admonishing anyone who didn't get the P85+.
- - - Updated - - -

False--but nice try...take care. I love Tesla and never bash it (I was merely mentioning that one aspect of it could be improved--car as a whole is great).

Interesting. How much bigger? Can you elaborate on this point (specifically for your car needs not the general populace)? Thanks.
]"

Would be nice to have a 400-500 range battery, so I could travel round trip to a Texas destination (Dallas or Houston) without stopping to charge. I noticed Elon mentioned this past week that would be possible (more cost), of which I'd gladly pay to get back into Tesla. That was it.

Tex - Welcome back from Asia! Sad to see you in the Audi, hot machine though she be :) Friends of mine have sold their non-P S85's for pretty close to what they paid (in order to buy P85's, of course), but I don't know anyone else who sold a loaded P85+. I'd love to see someone start a thread compiling member experiences. Maybe someone like Bill who's personally bought more MS's than most small towns could get it up and running ;)

I'm definitely one of your P85+ upsell victims, but I pushed back delivery on a strong rumor (is there such a thing?) about AWD in August-ish after the line(s) opens. We'll see. I'm most interested in it for the probable range improvement in range at highway speeds and handling. Sadly, astute members from the other forum pointed out that it may not improve the 0-60 times at all, since the max power draw will likely be the same if it's the same size battery. Still, exciting times!

Sorry for cross-contaminating the thread, mods, couldn't help it! :)

Tex - Welcome back from Asia! Sad to see you in the Audi, hot machine though she be :) Friends of mine have sold their non-P S85's for pretty close to what they paid (in order to buy P85's, of course), but I don't know anyone else who sold a loaded P85+. I'd love to see someone start a thread compiling member experiences. Maybe someone like Bill who's personally bought more MS's than most small towns could get it up and running ;)

I'm definitely one of your P85+ upsell victims, but I pushed back delivery on a strong rumor (is there such a thing?) about AWD in August-ish after the line(s) opens. We'll see. I'm most interested in it for the probable range improvement in range at highway speeds and handling. Sadly, astute members from the other forum pointed out that it may not improve the 0-60 times at all, since the max power draw will likely be the same if it's the same size battery. Still, exciting times!

Sorry for cross-contaminating the thread, mods, couldn't help it! :)

Hey NoMo!

I've heard something of the same regarding AWD, that's why I want to see if it happens, and hey a larger battery would be awesome too (but might be swayed on AWD alone). For me it's all about the handling of the car with AWD vs RWD, not a weather issue (being in Texas).

Exciting times for sure--hope to hear announcement next month!

I'm going to stick to my prediction (based on information from roughly a year ago) that the AWD Model S will not be available until after Model X hits production, in part because the majority of design focus is on Model X. On the other hand, Tesla has a tendency to do awesome things even if it doesn't make a lot of business sense, so I'm ready to be proven wrong.

I sold my 2013 P85 with 18,000 miles on it for north of $92k. But then again one typically gets less for a trade in than selling it direct. Congratulations on the RS7. It is a fantastic car, I have driven the base model a few times and it really is nice. Significantly quieter than the Model S at higher speeds.

Hey, guys,

I am a little bit like TexEx in that I like to change cars more frequently than recommended! Ha!:biggrin: I also, like TexEx, plan to jump into a Tesla again in the future (once more tech and safety options are available) - for example, I have had 3 Acura NSX's over the last 12 years (crazy, I know! Just kept going back to that car!).

I am considering parting with my P85+ through private sale possibly (since trade-in is a little low as in the original post). Do you guys think that a firm sale price of $96K is reasonable for the following:

2013 P85+ (built at $114,520, delivered September 2013, VIN 17833)
8,500+ miles, no accident or paintwork history
Green metallic paint
All Glass Panoramic roof
Carbon fiber spoiler (the matte version)
21" Grey Performance Plus Wheels (no scratches)
Black Performance Interior (with Alcantara roof headliner)
Piano Black Decor
Tech Package
Sound Studio Package
Active Air Suspension
Twin Chargers
Supercharging Hardware and Access
Performance Plus Package

I also added the following:
4 years prepaid maintenance (taking it for its first annual service next month!)
Suntek (CXP 80, I believe) window tint (including windshield)
Blackvue 550 front and rear dash cam
Parcel shelf
Opti-Coat Pro clear ceramic coating
Brand new, never mounted 19" Rial Lugano grey rims with OEM Michelin Primacy tires and tire sensors from TireRack (all still in packaging from Tire Rack).

Thanks, guys, for any thoughts on this.

P85+ through private sale possibly (since trade-in is a little low as in the original post). Do you guys think that a firm sale price of $96K is reasonable for the following:

8,500+ miles

In California, I would take $10,000 off the top of that sales price in federal tax credit and state rebates, so it seems high. But, actual sales price has nothing to do with cost. Good luck.

Do you guys think that a firm sale price of $96K is reasonable for the following:

8,500+ miles, no accident or paintwork history

IMO that's too much. I have almost the same car, built in July. I bought it as an inventory car in January with 5,800 miles and paid $95K after the fed tex credit.

You have more miles, a few months older and shorter warranty (with an inventory car the warranty starts when it's sold, so mine started in January).

On the plus side the buyer does not have to wait for the tax return.

I'd say advertise it at $96K, but don't expect more than low 90's.

All in my opinion, of course...

No doubt...like I said I like Tesla (and owned a P85+--and might buy another in the future).

All's good for me. Just a little anger from some.

Cheers.

PS - Nice P85 build you have.

Dude! I for one am happy to see you. I'm guessing some of these new guys probably don't remember you. You were a lot of fun when I was buying my car, but you cost me a lot of extra money I hadn't planned to spend. :D Not that I have any regrets. Love the "P" and glad you talked me into it. :)

ETA:

As far as the sound system goes, it's made by Alpine and it needs a lot of tweaking to sound it's best. Here's something to try for anyone adventurous:

1. Turn off Dolby
2. Fade the rear to -11
3. Turn Midrange down to -3
4. Depending on your source material you *can* boost the Bass by +1 to +3. I personally listen to a lot of Dubstep so the stock +0 works fine for me.

That will improve the sound dramatically. I used to sell Car Stereos and had an award winning Corvette that took many 1st and 2nd place place trophies. Of course that system cost ten grand and that was back in the 80's. I think with the settings above, the Tesla sound system is pretty darn good as stock ones go. Certainly better than the ones in my Lexus and Acura SUVs (which to be fair, aren't ideal for sound compared to a Sedan). I've personally never owned a high end German car so I can't speak to those.

Having said that, it is a bit underpowered if you really like to crank it, but I'm not really into that much volume these days and keep it within it's sweet spot (around 6 to 8 on the volume readout) and it sounds pretty good to me. It's detailed without being harsh and it has good bottom end without being boomy or muddy. I imagine a more powerful Amp would probably improve things a bit, but then you are messing around with the battery and alternator's capabilities and that can lead to problems with dead batteries and burned out Alternators (ask me how I know). I am personally happy with mine and I have no desire to upgrade. Mainly because I remember how unreliable upgraded systems can be. ;) I really don't want to start pulling panels. I think the current system was a compromise designed to be energy efficient and cost effective for their first venture into a ground up vehicle. I expect future versions will probably be better.

Last edited: