Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S85 vs 2017 S75 for road trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weight really doesn't affect range as long as you drive a more or less constant speed like you do on a freeway. Even if the 75 was 300 lbs lighter, that would not any significant difference in consumption. I just did a test in EVTripplanner and changing the payload by 300 lbs changes the energy consumption from 380 to 381 Wh/mile. So weight can't be a factor here.

Ah OK, so that's eliminated. I just can't see how the 75 would be that much more efficient.

Back to the original question, I believe the 85 has a higher voltage battery so Supercharging might be faster.

Yes, Supercharging would be one reason. The other reason would be that the old 85 has an actual frunk that can be used to store luggage, while the new S75 barely has room for a chademo adapter. On the other hand, my S85 has no auto pilot of any kind.... Decisions, decisions...

Since range seems to be so equal between your two cars, why not use the one with autopilot, it makes a big difference in my opinion. Or do they both have?

Yes, it seems that range should not be a factor when picking between the two cars. I should probably take my new car for the autopilot (unless I need faster supercharging or more luggage space).

I'm just really surprised by this. Maybe some other 85 owner on the fence about the 75 battery will find this thread useful in the future, as it seems the 75 might not really be much of a downgrade from the 85 in terms of range..

Well, judging by the fueleconomy.gov numbers, the 2014 S85 uses 38kWh/100 miles and the 2017 S75 uses 34kWh/100 miles, ie, the 2017 S75 is 11% more efficient than the S85.

If the S75 is ~11% more efficient, 72.6kWh hours would be equivalent to ~81kWh in an S85, and remember, the S85 only has 77.5kWh available, ie, an S75 should have better range than an S85, yet the rated range on the S75 is only 249 while the rated range on the S85 is 265 miles.
Personalize the driving to be yours I.e. in this case of the OP he drives high way to test. Then you can get a good number on what the range is for each.

Looking at 2014/2013 S85 with all Highway driving, you get 267 miles. the 2016 S75 gets 253 miles.

Base on degradation of the S85, you should have around 90-93% of the range at new. So around 240-248 miles at 100% for the S85. The S75 is brand new so it should get close to 253.

So there you go you can see the new S75 is indeed equal or slightly better than the old S85 in terms of range.

Last edited:
Interesting thread! I have a 2014 S85 with AP that I keep for road trips and a 60D. While I did notice the 60D is much more efficient, I attributed that to dual motors. I thought about upgrading it to a 75D for about the same range as the 85 but so far have decided not to as the large frunk still wins over the newer car for road trips. If the S85 didn't have AP I'd probably upgrade the 60D and use it for road trips. I'll do a side by side road test when i can to determine the real world difference.

The 85 will charge faster than the 75. Evtripplanner tells me however that a 75 will spend less time charging vs a 90 stopping at the same superchargers which i know to be inherently false. The online tools are not the most accurate.

If your 2014 85 has autopilot then i'd stick with that.

Interesting thread! I have a 2014 S85 with AP that I keep for road trips and a 60D. While I did notice the 60D is much more efficient, I attributed that to dual motors. I thought about upgrading it to a 75D for about the same range as the 85 but so far have decided not to as the large frunk still wins over the newer car for road trips. If the S85 didn't have AP I'd probably upgrade the 60D and use it for road trips. I'll do a side by side road test when i can to determine the real world difference.
But if you charge the battery typically to 90% SoC on a road trip than even a 60D is not much of a downgrade from a 75D because that one could be charged to 100% and behaves like a 86% charged 75D (see discussion here)

Weight really doesn't affect range as long as you drive a more or less constant speed like you do on a freeway. Even if the 75 was 300 lbs lighter, that would not any significant difference in consumption. I just did a test in EVTripplanner and changing the payload by 300 lbs changes the energy consumption from 380 to 381 Wh/mile. So weight can't be a factor here.

Weight makes a difference if you have a lot of elevation change. If you stay on the coast or driving Kansas ther won't be much difference at constant speed. Going up and down hills it's a surprisingly significant factor.

Weight makes a difference if you have a lot of elevation change. If you stay on the coast or driving Kansas ther won't be much difference at constant speed. Going up and down hills it's a surprisingly significant factor.

Not really my experience. Extra weight needs more energy to get up but it also helps going down so it evens out pretty much.

This is an old thread but I thought I'd add my experience, I have a 2014 S85 and I got a 2018 75D loaner while it was in the shop.

The 75 seems way more efficient, I usually baby my S85 but I was driving the 75 harder and still getting good whr per mile values.

There only two things I can think make the difference are aerodynamics as the 75 has air suspension so might be running lower.

The other is motors, the older S large motor is an induction motor whereas the newer 75D might be? Permanent magnet motors, the PM motor is more efficient than induction but in theory less smooth and noiser. The 75D did seems noiser than my older S, more motor whine.

This is an old thread but I thought I'd add my experience, I have a 2014 S85 and I got a 2018 75D loaner while it was in the shop.

The 75 seems way more efficient, I usually baby my S85 but I was driving the 75 harder and still getting good whr per mile values.

There only two things I can think make the difference are aerodynamics as the 75 has air suspension so might be running lower.

The other is motors, the older S large motor is an induction motor whereas the newer 75D might be? Permanent magnet motors, the PM motor is more efficient than induction but in theory less smooth and noiser. The 75D did seems noiser than my older S, more motor whine.

It could be that the 75D is a bit more efficient, but like you mention, I find my S85 way more quiet than a D. The whining is not loud on D but I much prefer not hearing it at all. And the large frunk as well as the jacht floor remains key features for me. Oh and car dynamics of the RWD makes the picture complete for me.