Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 90D vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
new member here and not sure if this is the right forum for this post. Also I am coming from a Prius, so Tesla technology is fairly new to me. Been eyeing a used 2016 Model S and a friend suggested to go with a Model Y instead. The MY is a bit out of my budget at this point. Just wanted to gain more knowledge from this forum and hear everyone’s thoughts on this topic.

new member here and not sure if this is the right forum for this post. Also I am coming from a Prius, so Tesla technology is fairly new to me. Been eyeing a used 2016 Model S and a friend suggested to go with a Model Y instead. The MY is a bit out of my budget at this point. Just wanted to gain more knowledge from this forum and hear everyone’s thoughts on this topic.
Drive both. The MY will have the range advantage. It’s still an expensive car, but the 3 and the Y feel a lot cheaper to me than the S and X. Lack of the instrument cluster and ride quality kills it for me. I’d never trade my 2016 S or 2016 X for a Y, but there are many here who are doing just that. Personal preference at the end of the day, although the Y is definitely more comfortable than the 3 imho, even though I love the look of the 3

I need a sunroof so any of the newer Teslas are non starters. I like the heat pump vs resistance heating tech though and if you live in a cold climate and need the winter range that may be an important factor. They are all awesome cars and as ucmndd says , details matter.

I was in the same spot. I opted for a pre-facelift, AP1, Model S P90D over a new Model Y. Got the S for $53k, which is about $5k cheaper than a non-performance Y.

The S is just so much more luxurious. Plus the free connectivity and free supercharging were huge pluses. Range isn’t a big deal to me, the ~247 miles this car gets lasts me at least 2 weeks - especially these days.

Y will have the latest computer and self driving though, so if that’s important to you consider that. I have the upgraded autopilot and with AP1 it’s plenty enough for me.

I wouldn’t recommend the S you are going for but once they update the batteries and add the heat pump, the S will be the superior vehicle.

Ride quality in the Y is brutal (coming from a 2015 P85D)

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
Echoing what others have said, I just gave up my 2017 MS for a new M3. I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but the ride quality difference is no joke.

Premium fit and finish of the new car, newer tech, more contemporary looking are making me happy overall. The seats are way more comfortable in all new Tesla's vs. older ones -- I also do not think the leather ages well in older Teslas, so buying used would bother me if not in tip-top shape.

Detailed a bit here if you'd like to read more.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland
Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I'm in essentially the exact same spot right now: wavering between a used 2015 Model S P90DL (AP1, pre-facelift) with just under 40k miles for $47k or a base model Y for ~$51k (not including other fees). Prices between the two are relatively even, so I can see why it's a common decision for prospective buyers right now.

For me, the big trade-off seems to be that the S has exhilarating acceleration and handling, but it has dated electronics, no warranty, and inevitable problems to be fixed (like with the MCU, I assume). Plus the particular one that I'm looking at is currently 100% dead in the dealership's parking lot, which isn't exactly a confidence-builder (means it was neglected so long that the battery drained out). Meanwhile, the Y is more boring (I know I don't need to go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, but I can't deny it would be a fun option to have), but it's undoubtedly more practical with its increased storage space, better range, current electronics, and warranty. Plus, with a new Y, I would be the original owner, which is better than buying a used P90DL that might have been abused by its previous owner.

I've heard that model S owners love their cars and find them fun to drive. But then you get a few people with horrible experiences who visit the shop way too often, and it kind of scares me. But when I put it all in perspective, it seems like S owners are generally happy with their cars. Some folks just wind up with lemons, which sucks, but it could happen to any model of Tesla. Meanwhile, the Y is an untested product, and it's in its first few months of production. That first model year might have some kinks to iron out.

I didn't give you an answer, but maybe hearing some thoughts from someone making the same decision might help. Let me know what you plan on doing and why.

And if anyone else wants to weigh in on my wavering between the 2015 model S P90DL and the base Y, I'm all ears.

Y because Munro recommends it. It's the only Model he recommends to his family and friends (until the CT comes out).

...and he knows Teslas inside & out.

Go watch Munro Live on youtube and see Y.

Personally, I'd go and test drive both just to see which you prefer especially if you have children.

Last edited:
I’m coming from a Prius, so either car would be a awesome upgrade. Do the 2016-2018 MS have the same autopilot and FSD features as the MY?

You will have to pay for the FSD on either Y or an older MS. Depends if the used 2016 was transferred through Tesla. If buying from a private original owner the 2016 may be equipped with it. Autopilot and Full Self Drive are two levels of automation. Learn the difference so you understand what the FSD does better.

Also, the charging is better in the newer models, as they can take advantage of the faster Supercharging. The Y has the latest battery technology.

Drive both. The MY will have the range advantage. It’s still an expensive car, but the 3 and the Y feel a lot cheaper to me than the S and X. Lack of the instrument cluster and ride quality kills it for me. I’d never trade my 2016 S or 2016 X for a Y, but there are many here who are doing just that. Personal preference at the end of the day, although the Y is definitely more comfortable than the 3 imho, even though I love the look of the 3

I’m coming from a Prius, so either car would be a awesome upgrade. Do the 2016-2018 MS have the same autopilot and FSD features as the MY?

Completely agree with the two above. If coming from an ICE vehicle, any Tesla is a step up and will blow your mind. As a repeat customer, that's where the differences really stand out.

We have a Raven S and I test drove a Y and Raven X a few days ago. The Y is okay to me and a good value for the price, just like the 3 is, but the ride quality of the 3/Y is something I can't compromise on and is a deal breaker to me. Fifty-thousand is still a lot of money, but I'll echo that the Y does show the cheaper quality. I like the minimalist interior design of the 3/Y, but much prefer the dual screen setup in the S/X and the main display provides more information options than the 3/Y. I also didn't like the rubbery feel of the turn-signal stalks on the Y and like the dedicated AP stalk on the S/X. As been mentioned before, it's down to priorities and personal preferences.

Side note: I know it's much more money than what we're discussing here, but I came away very impressed with the Raven X ride quality! It literally matches the smoothness on a Raven S. I did not expect how good it really is. A tremendous improvement! Initially, we were all set for a 6-seater X, but back then the ride quality on 2017 X was atrocious and a dealbreaker. Glad to see the huge ride improvement and better noise insulation on the latest X.