Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P90D - Slow Supercharging Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently driving and early 16 P90D from FL to Minneapolis and I'm concerned with my supercharger speeds.

Last night, I arrived in Ocala, FL and about 15% and plugged in. Charging started at about 78kw and quickly tapered before even hitting 50% didn't see much past about 40KW through most of my charge, most of which ended up in the mid 30's. I called roadside, and they suggested shutting the car down manually through the center display. I did that when I reached my hotel in Valdosta, GA.

Set the Valdosta charger as my destination, 4mi. Saw initial speeds of ~112kw and it hung in just under 60kw until about 75% when I unplugged.

My next two charging stops were bad...about 33kw at the next stop.

Currently sitting in McDonaugh, GA and at 46% I'm down to 27kw with 46% SOC. I pulled in at 15% and it ran up to 78kw and then quickly tapered way down again.

Roadside says everything looks fine from what they can see. Given that I'm headed to Minneapolis, I'm not sure if it's just a "deal with the slow speeds" or a "Visit a Service Center on the way" kind of problem, but it sure feels really slow to me.

Thoughts?

Currently driving and early 16 P90D from FL to Minneapolis and I'm concerned with my supercharger speeds.

Last night, I arrived in Ocala, FL and about 15% and plugged in. Charging started at about 78kw and quickly tapered before even hitting 50% didn't see much past about 40KW through most of my charge, most of which ended up in the mid 30's. I called roadside, and they suggested shutting the car down manually through the center display. I did that when I reached my hotel in Valdosta, GA.

Set the Valdosta charger as my destination, 4mi. Saw initial speeds of ~112kw and it hung in just under 60kw until about 75% when I unplugged.

My next two charging stops were bad...about 33kw at the next stop.

Currently sitting in McDonaugh, GA and at 46% I'm down to 27kw with 46% SOC. I pulled in at 15% and it ran up to 78kw and then quickly tapered way down again.

Roadside says everything looks fine from what they can see. Given that I'm headed to Minneapolis, I'm not sure if it's just a "deal with the slow speeds" or a "Visit a Service Center on the way" kind of problem, but it sure feels really slow to me.

Thoughts?
You’ve been nerfed. #chargegate

This sure seems even worse than that, hence the concern.

I spoke with roadside again, and they suggested there were temperature warnings that the could see. If Georgia driving wasn't bad enough... I'll be swinging by a service center.

It's possible that you have a problem with the battery cooling circuit - bad pump, low on refrigerant, clogged radiator and/or air conditioning condenser. You might want to make an appointment to have service take a look at it. I agree that your speeds seem significantly lower than what "chargegate" cars are experiencing, plus you're noticing slower speeds as your day progresses, indicating that heat buildup could be an issue.

It's possible that you have a problem with the battery cooling circuit - bad pump, low on refrigerant, clogged radiator and/or air conditioning condenser. You might want to make an appointment to have service take a look at it. I agree that your speeds seem significantly lower than what "chargegate" cars are experiencing, plus you're noticing slower speeds as your day progresses, indicating that heat buildup could be an issue.

That's a good point about earlier in the day. Ambient temp was ~68F. My last stop was 101F in the sun. I'm hoping it's just low coolant/refrigerant.
🤞

We saw a significant accumulation of leaves and debris between the radiator and condenser on our Model 3 and it was starting to impact cooling performance while Supercharging.

We disassembled the front of the car in our driveway and cleaned everything out with foaming coil cleaner. If this sort of thing is beyond your abilities, Tesla Service should be able to do it for you.

After cleaning, cooling is much improved, Supercharging speeds are faster and the cooling fan and compressor are much quieter.

Pics taken at 125,000 miles.

41AE8026-F72D-4DA2-8636-3B0A8F0538E2.jpeg
9FC92175-CCCF-4192-B216-EA8972C05263.jpeg
53196B64-3AF7-49D9-A640-5CD0ABD46463.jpeg
691D50C2-554F-4766-9DCA-58829574A9D0.jpeg
1793F4DE-DDFE-41EA-82EF-4FF705E07931.jpeg

Last edited:
This sure seems even worse than that, hence the concern.
I have a 2014 S and just did an 1800 mile vacation trip, so I got to see a lot of Supercharging speeds. It's still been pretty decent for mine, but yours seems a lot lower.
I spoke with roadside again, and they suggested there were temperature warnings that the could see.
All right, that's something specific then. This did sound like it was reducing because of some heat related problem.

We saw a significant accumulation of leaves and debris between the radiator and condenser on our Model 3
Holy cow, dude! That looks like you drive through swamps regularly. That's pretty wild.

Service Center in Marietta, GA took a look. They said it's definitely something to do with the cooling system. They suggested it would need a flow test, as it could be an air bubble in the pack, a kinked hose, or a pump that's disconnected.

Because it drives perfectly and charges fine (albeit slowly) I have opted to try and get back home to Minnesota for my local service center to review. Assuming I make it from just south of Nashville home by Monday morning. 😂

I thought that significantly lower ambient temps would help keep me charging faster. While I'm seeing 35kw to 38kw after a fairly quick initial taper, it's still just super slow.

Lots of nap time, which is fine. But I wouldn't mind getting home this week.
😂

This is very interesting. Both my model S and my model X experience super slow super charging. Mine is very similar to yours in that it tapers down below 40 rather quickly. I was on a long road trip last weekend and it was painful stopping to charge. It added hours to my drive. I talked to a Tesla ranger one day at a supercharger about it and he told me it was completely normal.
I’m going to reach out to my SC and ask them about the thermal management. I love my Tesla’s but hate having to supercharge due to the extremely slow speeds.

Reactions: basilray
This is very interesting. Both my model S and my model X experience super slow super charging. Mine is very similar to yours in that it tapers down below 40 rather quickly. I was on a long road trip last weekend and it was painful stopping to charge. It added hours to my drive. I talked to a Tesla ranger one day at a supercharger about it and he told me it was completely normal.
I’m going to reach out to my SC and ask them about the thermal management. I love my Tesla’s but hate having to supercharge due to the extremely slow speeds.

Worst they can say is "Everything looks normal". It's worth having examined.

If you haven't, I'd suggest checking with Roadside the next time your charging appears slower than normal. They may see some warnings or error that are not presented to you in the car.

I'm anxious to get my X back. They put me in a Y for now, which is a perfectly fine vehicle, but, it doesn't ride or handle nearly as nice as my X does.

I'm anxious to get my X back. They put me in a Y for now, which is a perfectly fine vehicle, but, it doesn't ride or handle nearly as nice as my X does.
I just picked up a Y today for a 24 hour test drive and I fully agree with your comment above. The Y is a nice vehicle but it’s certainly not as nice of a ride or handle like my X or S. My X and S are way more comfortable to drive.

When I stopped by the service center yesterday (Monday) a week after having dropped off my X, they still did not have a shipping estimate for my new pack.

The advisor said the regional-whoever that needed to approve was out of office. I have a feeling I may be in this Y longer than I would have liked...

On the bright side, that's 2k miles that's not on your X. That said, 2000 miles in 3 weeks?? Damn! That takes me over 2 months.

We had a roadtrip planned from Minneapolis to Mt Rushmore, followed up by a family wedding in Iowa the next weekend.

I made sure they were aware before I went on either trip, partially to cover my own behind, and partially in hopes they would expedite a bit to try and keep some of those miles off their loaner fleet. 😂