Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017.28 c528869

I took a 100 mile or so trip last week with this firmware and had no issues. Today I turned it on (AP2) on the highway and the car immediately dodged to the left placing its left tire right on the lane divider line. Display indicated the same thing, car hugging/on top of left line. Re-tested several times, different roads, different locations, same thing. Did a report via voice and contacted support, waiting to hear back if they notice anything.

More experience with 2017.28: I was on US 101 south of Gilroy, just before the 156 exit, in stop and go (mostly stopped) traffic. This is a hilly divided highway with two lanes each direction. I found that with this release, in this location, as the car creeped forward it made very large steering motions, basically large S turns from one side of the lane to the other. It got so bad I had to take over. All this at less than 5 mph.

I've had it happen on a silver vehicle before, doing 80 on a freeway it was set to follow at 7 and it just plain didn't see the silver van. I got within 10-20 feet and still nada, Moved over a lane and back and still it didn't see it. I sent the issue and email to tesla. Definitely can't have that happening.

stevez | July 24, 2017
So I received 17.28.c528869 on Friday the 21st. While it has its issues I use AP every day on the highway and City streets. I have over 14,000 miles on my MS now in about 6 months. This is by far the best version yet. I just finished a 550 mile trip this weekend on both highway and 2 lane divided highways. Mostly Florida i75 and us27. It was not perfect of course but really really good. This made the drive so much easier. I did experience something strange on the way there and back.

So it's about a 3.5 hour drive each way. Both ways it rained the last 20-30 min of the drive. AP worked the whole way including during very heavy rains but 2.5 -3 hours in I disabled it by manually changing lanes ( feature disabled off the highway) and then AP would not re engage. Adaptive cruise was fine but no AP. It just said temporarily not avalible. No other error. Even when the rain stopped no luck. Then after about 20 min it started working again.

The same thing happened on the way home but this time I was in stop and go traffic. When if finally re engaged while I was stopped, I re enabled it and waited for the cars to move forward. When they did the wheel turned hard to the right and then started beeping and disengaged. This happened twice on the way home and then it would not work again. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Has anyone seen this? Not sure why it stopped working after around 3 hours of spectacular use and not sure why it wanted to turn hard right- that was a little scary. It reset and did this twice.

Although most of the postings here have been about how the car drives better with AP2, I'm unfortunately finding the opposite to be true for my AP1 Model S.

I was running just fine with an older release (I believe it was 17.14.23), and I had to take my car into my local service center for something. After reading about how many of the recent releases have been less than stellar for AP, I explicitly told them NOT to update my car while in the shop. Unfortunately, they still updated it to 17.28.c528869, which the work order identified as 17.28.27.

Over the last few days, I'm finding that my AP1 car is now hunting more on the highways, and subsequently more ping-pongy with this release. It now honestly feels more like the AP2s I have test driven recently, where the car seems to be more rapidly analyzing / over-correcting when the camera doesn't perfectly see the lane markers. Almost a more "frantic" and unsure driving feel, if I was to describe it. As for backroad driving, I'm seeing a similar regression in AP1 performance with this release, albeit I tend to primarily use Autopilot on just the highways.

Such a disappointment that the AP software releases from Tesla have seemingly digressed over the last few months. I certainly hope their engineering teams get their act together.

If what you are stating is true, I am going to be very upset. As an AP1 user, I feel cheated. Everyday I used to pop-in here and brag about how AP1 is better, and now if I can't do that, that has a yuge emotional impact !:)
Keep bragging.......you've got time left.

I do have a vested interest in AP2, so I am patiently awaiting its progression. Just as we did for AP1.

But I do not agree that it is at par, or near par yet. While some drivers see improvement in handling certain routes, AP2 is supposed to be able to drive centered in the lane along various routes. It is the most primative function of AP, and it should be damn near perfect by now, and everyone should be experiencing similar reliability. Not happening.

However, the real test of its mettle is anything but straight down the middle. In my 21k miles experience w/AP1, it has never jammed the brakes for no reason while hauling down the freeway taking me from 75 to 45 in 3 seconds. (This is happening repeatedly for many AP2 users.) AP1 has never failed to reliably pace with the car ahead. (Reading too many feeling the need to hit the brakes and disengage - very concerning although not personaly experienced. Hasn't this tech been around for years?) These two situations alone imply inconsistent processing and there are many other situations as well.

AP2/3/4/5 will be sensational some day, but the basics must be nailed down and never doubted by the driver. If it can't manage the reality of simple freeway driving and all its variants, how can it safely navigate secondary roads? We are risking safety.....its all too gimmicky right now. I have finally and sadly been convinced.

I do wish the competition would come forward sooner. We need another baseline to bench against instead of just tweeted adjectives like silky and smooth.

As of today it is more useful than a "gimmick" with the latest update, but still not as good as autopilot one. It's still cannot be trusted and will kill you if left unattended. I don't think you were likely to die with auto pilot one.

It needs to get better tracking cars and anticipate curves. For example, if you were going around a curve and have cruise control set at high-speed, if the car takes an exit, the car will start to speed up to the preselected speed rather than realizing it is around the curve and probably shouldn't be doing that.

Also sometimes it does not see the car I had until it is too late. I have had to manually slam on the brakes testing it in the city.

My AP2 reduces speed for say exit ramps, tunnels, interchanges etc. Its not reading signs so I guess its GPS. It otherwise maintains preset limitations or the pace car in front of me. In some cases, it may speed up if the pace car moves aside and I have not yet topped out the limitations. It is not (yet?) reducing speed for freeway turns where situationally, I might. The Jarupa Valley badlands in CA for example. I may go 75mph up and over the pass, but when passing trucks on a couple of those turns, I've got to drop it down myself. In fact, there is no situational analysis for rain, traffic or road or construction conditions, etc.

OK, partially gimmicky, as it applies to surface street handling. It is a data gathering experiment and fun if you have the streets all to yourself. I fear whats ahead with M3s flooding the streets. As for freeways, its still short of its most basic promises.

Reactions: 1 person
stevez | July 24, 2017
So I received 17.28.c528869 on Friday the 21st. While it has its issues I use AP every day on the highway and City streets. I have over 14,000 miles on my MS now in about 6 months. This is by far the best version yet. I just finished a 550 mile trip this weekend on both highway and 2 lane divided highways. Mostly Florida i75 and us27. It was not perfect of course but really really good. This made the drive so much easier. I did experience something strange on the way there and back.

So it's about a 3.5 hour drive each way. Both ways it rained the last 20-30 min of the drive. AP worked the whole way including during very heavy rains but 2.5 -3 hours in I disabled it by manually changing lanes ( feature disabled off the highway) and then AP would not re engage. Adaptive cruise was fine but no AP. It just said temporarily not avalible. No other error. Even when the rain stopped no luck. Then after about 20 min it started working again.

The same thing happened on the way home but this time I was in stop and go traffic. When if finally re engaged while I was stopped, I re enabled it and waited for the cars to move forward. When they did the wheel turned hard to the right and then started beeping and disengaged. This happened twice on the way home and then it would not work again. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Has anyone seen this? Not sure why it stopped working after around 3 hours of spectacular use and not sure why it wanted to turn hard right- that was a little scary. It reset and did this twice.

I've seen something very similar to this a while back when we were having heavy rains. Mine explicitly said it was because of decreased radar visibility though. Maybe they removed that specificity since then?

stevez | July 24, 2017

Had the same thing in Florida this weekend as well ... Went 120 miles south on the turnpike and returned back.. had to disengage autosteer to get through the toll booth and afterwards autosteer was no longer available. I just kept getting "autosteer is temporarily unavailable".

I got to the supercharger, that didnt reengage... I parked at home, that didn't reengage... I waited overnight and that didn't work...

Only until I rebooted the cener console and the main screen did it come back

I've had it happen on a silver vehicle before, doing 80 on a freeway it was set to follow at 7 and it just plain didn't see the silver van. I got within 10-20 feet and still nada, Moved over a lane and back and still it didn't see it. I sent the issue and email to tesla. Definitely can't have that happening.

The minivan I nearly rear ended on AP2 2017.28 was also a light silverfish color. I think s Honda.

Another 40 mile trip on the turnpike with no AP issues. No clue if the heavy rain or 3 hour continuous use caused the issue. Although even once the rain stopped AP would. It re engage. I did reboot both screens last night. One other note, it handles curves even tight ones on highway exit ramps and in neighborhoods very well where before I would want to drive off to the side. However, it slows down to 19-20 mph to do it. It's still progress.

As of today it is more useful than a "gimmick" with the latest update, but still not as good as autopilot one. It's still cannot be trusted and will kill you if left unattended. I don't think you were likely to die with auto pilot one.

It needs to get better tracking cars and anticipate curves. For example, if you were going around a curve and have cruise control set at high-speed, if the car takes an exit, the car will start to speed up to the preselected speed rather than realizing it is around the curve and probably shouldn't be doing that.

Also sometimes it does not see the car I had until it is too late. I have had to manually slam on the brakes testing it in the city.

What kind of car did it not slow for?

With this versioin I have had a few occasioins where the AP started panicing, flashing red and aborting without any visible reason.

Anyone experienced the same?

Yes, it now knows when its in trouble whereas before it was blissfully ignorant. You might not see the reason why, but it does either see a false reason or it sees something it cannot handle that you consider trivial.

I had it on to test an on ramp and it threw up the red hands of doom and disconnected in a super dangerous manner but I had my hands on the wheel and was able to take over just fine but it definitely alarmed my wife. My daughter loved it.

The software is getting close. The recent improvement / regressions have been a bummer but I am hoping that will go away. I have two tests: the knee test and the wife test. The knee test is simple, would I have been more comfortable driving with my knee. Its getting close to passing that test. The wife test though its got a ways to go. The lane changes are soooo much smoother but my wife's hand shot out which indicates an issue. She also has an imaginary break peddle which she did not use on that drive so somethings are better.

I wanted to give it a couple of days, but today I can say that the lane drifting is bad during stop 'n go. It doesn't actually cross the line, but it does go right up to it. I tried to get some pictures, but they're nothing different than the other ones on this thread. And the brake application in stop 'n go is definitely worse; it's too severe. Once the car is underway, things are much better. But I did get the hands of doom approaching a shadow the other day.

It's just all weird. I guess I was expecting a progression in performance. Like they were going to process a hundred million hours of video and get version 1. Then another hundred million hours and get to version 1.1 and so on with each iteration getting better. And better would be: handles curves more gracefully, brakes more fluidly in traffic, better lane keeping in increasingly hard to decipher environments, etc.

In some ways that's happening. It can handle curves it couldn't before, for instance. But in many other ways it hasn't gotten better. In fact, I'm not sure, but I think that lane line recognition is worse in this release than 17.17.4. And the "PANIC! I've successfully come to a complete stop behind a light colored car I was following!" never happened before.

I feel like I've written before, it just seems like they're reinventing "the algorithm" instead of progressively developing it. So features come and go and improve and regress. It's like ordering a hot fudge sundae with nuts and getting one without nuts. You return it saying "There's no nuts. I ordered nuts." And then they give you a turtle sundae. Sure, now it has nuts AND caramel, but it's just chocolate sauce and not hot fudge sauce and there's no cherry on top. It's a completely different thing, and that's how I feel about these last few releases. 17.28.c2983492387 isn't a progression from 17.26.76, it's just a completely different creation altogether. Both releases are "autopilot control algorithms" but there's no sense of heredity, the same way the two sundaes are totally different even though they're both sundaes.

It does seem their sorcery is getting better, but I wish I had more confidence in the ability to progress instead of just "cook up" some new control algorithm.

I haven't seen the ghost panic(that's what I've decided I'm calling it), but I have had the alarm sound for the early collision warning come on mysteriously twice. Both times were on AS, no car or bridge or sign or anything, just traveling along. The car didn't brake at all as far as I could tell and no warnings or anything came up on either screen. Just got the rapid "beep beep beep".

I got a full on hard brake on I-94 last week. It had been 6 months since I got one of those. Wife was very scared. Car dropped 15mph before I hit the accelerator to stop the potential rear ending. Luckily no one was tailgating me. I'm out of practice dealing with that.

On a better note, I think FCW is less jumpy. My car doesn't yell at me anymore for aggressive driving (though sometimes I want it to).

Anyone else notice that the homelink GPS is off now. It might have started with 17.26.76 but I only noticed it last week. When I approach my garage it takes 50 more feet to activate the opener and it won't close when I park now. It demands I drive 5 more feet which is beyond where my car can go (brick walls are restrictive like that).

I will re-calibrate it but I thought it dovetailed with the fact the GPS geofencing with +5 and auto lane change are now wrecked.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades