Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.42.1 94435ee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one can definitively answer that question, but one possibility is that Tesla simply hasn't developed a standard offset yet that applies across updates. Instead, they use a "mild" learning algorithm to help calibrate the camera after each update. There is the possibility that the updates are complex enough that calculating a standard offset is not possible (eg. if they've changed to a new algorithm). All speculation of course.
I would think that too, but can’t square it with the behavior we see from the car.
Yeah, I see both points... it could be loose and need 'help' each time, or shouldn't. :D

I need to do longer trips with 17.42.1 and see how it's doing (been driving mostly short commuting trips recently...) and this great improvement I've been hearing about!

I received .42 a few days ago. Noticeable pulling left on Autopilot....hits the warning bumps on the center-line and ignores that. (I think that is amusing because I am expected....as a human.... to react to the mild steering wheel vibration when lane wandering ...however the A/P intelligence just drives on and on over the warning bumps!) So..anyway...after the left wandering/pulling does not correct, I just close it down and start over.

At night more severe confusion with Autopilot going through intersections on well marked major 4 lane roads. I always hold the steering wheel, and NOW have learned to hold it HARD: Last night we were traveling along fine on AP then I felt the most severe jerk of the wheel to the left I have felt so far....even back to the earlier releases that wanted to pull off the freeway off ramps. The jerk was to the left and surprisingly I had to fight it pretty hard before it did the disengage. My wife asked what happened as we almost went into the other two lanes of oncoming traffic. The wheel (in my hands, under A/P) turned radically (spun) to the left. I told her what went on, and then appreciated her good humor as she repeated back to me what I often say: "I love this car that once and a while tries to kill me." (I stole that saying from another poster! Because it is so true!)

• Helpful
Reactions: RxSupercharger
I tend to agree that the "learning" is happening on Tesla's servers. However, it's entirely possible that there is some hardware calibration required after every update to address differences in camera angles. A brand new vehicle is unable to use AP until calibration is complete, so this seems entirely possible to me. Even when AP is active, I'm sure the calibration is on-going and continues to improve for a while longer.
No one can definitively answer that question, but one possibility is that Tesla simply hasn't developed a standard offset yet that applies across updates. Instead, they use a "mild" learning algorithm to help calibrate the camera after each update. There is the possibility that the updates are complex enough that calculating a standard offset is not possible (eg. if they've changed to a new algorithm). All speculation of course.

I've had the interesting experience of using a loaner model X P100D with AP2 using the 2017.42 software as compared to my late 2015 Model S 70 with AP1. Did a 20 hour trip on freeway and back roads. I must say, I like my own car with AP1 better! It was not awful but it seemed a bit more jerky and several things were irritating. One was that it didn't seem to catch the speed limit signs. Either didn't know the speed limit and would default to 45 or would be in a zone where it was going from 35 to 45 to 55 and would be stuck at 35 and only let me go what it thought was the speed limit. Quite irritating. Given that it has all that extra hardware it made me feel pretty lucky about my "Old" AP 1 setup.

P.S. The "learn" thing might not be placebo. I tried to show a friend AP in his new car and it wouldn't do it. We called Tesla and they stated that it had to be driven around awhile and let the sonar sense curbs etc. before it would be adequately calibrated. Indeed a few days later it started to work.

I've had the interesting experience of using a loaner model X P100D with AP2 using the 2017.42 software as compared to my late 2015 Model S 70 with AP1. Did a 20 hour trip on freeway and back roads. I must say, I like my own car with AP1 better! It was not awful but it seemed a bit more jerky and several things were irritating. One was that it didn't seem to catch the speed limit signs. Either didn't know the speed limit and would default to 45 or would be in a zone where it was going from 35 to 45 to 55 and would be stuck at 35 and only let me go what it thought was the speed limit. Quite irritating. Given that it has all that extra hardware it made me feel pretty lucky about my "Old" AP 1 setup.

P.S. The "learn" thing might not be placebo. I tried to show a friend AP in his new car and it wouldn't do it. We called Tesla and they stated that it had to be driven around awhile and let the sonar sense curbs etc. before it would be adequately calibrated. Indeed a few days later it started to work.

Speed limit reading is definitely one major thing it doesn't do. AP2 in general reacts quicker and makes more rapid corrections compared to AP1, which is both a good and a bad thing IMO. On the good side, it seems capable of reacting to sharper curves / lane shifts correctly much more often than AP1 in those challenging situations where one should arguably not be using AP at all. On the bad side, it feels squirrelly and unsettling to the owner, and makes it a ton more important to quickly override AP2 Autosteer at first sign that it's making an unwanted input….

I do have to say after some time with AP2 you get used to its behavior. I think one is inherently biased by the system they use the most often — I'm sure nobody starts out with AP1 on day one thinking "oh wow I totally trust my life to this thing". Learning the quirks and limits of the system is something that comes with time, and I hope responsible drivers greet unfamiliar L2 ADAS systems with skepticism.

So does anyone know if intentionally using AP2 over and over on the same sections of road might lead to more reliability due to learning at the server before another update?? Or would it only apply as updates occur? Or it doesn't really help? Or does anyone actually know? How about on roads without clear lane markings? Thanks!

So does anyone know if intentionally using AP2 over and over on the same sections of road might lead to more reliability due to learning at the server before another update?? Or would it only apply as updates occur? Or it doesn't really help? Or does anyone actually know? How about on roads without clear lane markings? Thanks!
I have never notice gradual improvement over time after an update that would lead me to believe that the car is 'learning', I do not believe the current AP implementation is that sophisticated. I can see the machine learning approach useful when it comes to FSD, but AP is not self driving -- AP does rudimentary vision processing coupled with active feedback via radar to hold the car with a lane and at a certain distance from the car in front of it I believe, I could be wrong.

I did a 2,500 round trip drive last week, 20% with AP2 on and last 75% with AP2 on and "hands off" on the interstates. Staying in the middle or left lane worked very well. The only things that seemed to trip up the computer were poor lane markings and splits in the road.

The other items that were sketchy was the lack of defensive driving. AP2 has no respect for big rigs drifting into the lane you're in, it will hold its ground. AP2 does not recognize wide loads and must only sense about knee high. Lastly, it does not take any evasive action when someone moving fast cuts into your lane almost clipping one of the front corners.
20171031_202040.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
Look, I’m not trying to be a jerk about this, but as you saw, AP is not ready to be used handsfree. Just don’t ok? What if you’re in an accident? Are you going to claim AP messed up? Claim you had both hands on the wheel, the logs will make it seem that way and Tesla will have all kinds of issues on their hands, particularly if there is a fatality involved. Please use it the way it’s meant to be used and let it get better so that one day you actually can takes you hands off and do whatever you want. Another bad accident where AP is being used in an unintended way could quite literally kill AP... Again, not trying to be a jerk, but I’ve seen a lot of posts lately where people are not using it as intended and with more and more of these cars out there, it’s eventually going to get someone hurt.

Look, I’m not trying to be a jerk about this, but as you saw, AP is not ready to be used handsfree. Just don’t ok? What if you’re in an accident? Are you going to claim AP messed up? Claim you had both hands on the wheel, the logs will make it seem that way and Tesla will have all kinds of issues on their hands, particularly if there is a fatality involved. Please use it the way it’s meant to be used and let it get better so that one day you actually can takes you hands off and do whatever you want. Another bad accident where AP is being used in an unintended way could quite literally kill AP... Again, not trying to be a jerk, but I’ve seen a lot of posts lately where people are not using it as intended and with more and more of these cars out there, it’s eventually going to get someone hurt.
or just get a Cadillac CT6 with "super cruise" where they actually encourage you to take your hands off the wheel... lol

Reactions: Pale_Rider

You're making some major assumptions in your post. I didn't just crawl in the back to take a nap. I didn't start up my DVD player and watch Harry Potter. I wasn't doing this on an undivided highway. I didn't pay money

I tried many things during the drive and found that hands on was not sensitive enough. It would constantly warn me even when attempting to input micro adjustments.