Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.42.1 94435ee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Highly recommend Netgear Orbi as a replacement for Apple AirPort Extreme. You put one near the router and the second near the garage (doesn’t have to be that near) and you then have strong wifi on that floor/near the garage.

It also lets you have a guest network and also in bridge mode if you need that. If you don’t know what that is, never mind, but many mesh devices won’t do guest networks in bridge mode.

For security it’s good to have things that don’t need access to your internal network but only need to get to the Internet, on a guest network. This includes things like TVs, thermostats, the car, etc.
I agree ORBI is good. Here is a CNET Review of multiple MESH and standalone OPTIONS. I would definitely go with MESH Routers if you were to replace you routers. Bridge mode is important if you can not replace you main router for some reason.

Best Wi-Fi Systems of 2017

This is definitely worth a try if you do not want to replace your routers and maybe you do not have that large of a house anyway. And the cost is low. I might just put it just in the house just before going into the garage. The idea of an extender or a MESH system for that matter (if not using a ethernet cable to the second router) is that there is a Wifi connection between the Extender and the Main Router and you want that connection to be pretty strong. Then you have a connection from say your CAR to the Extender and you want that connection to be pretty strong. Sometimes putting the Extender right in the middle of the two would be good but that depends on how many walls / doors are between each of them. Remember the CAR does not need a lot of wifi speed since it is not downloading a lot of data often. You just want to reliable connection.

Also, best to put a Speedtest App on your cell phone. Then walk around to the different locations and check the speed of that location. Do this before and after you put in the Extender. Maybe sure you really need to do anything.

• Helpful
Reactions: buttershrimp
If you were going to do this, would you just move the router into the garage? If it is a separate building? I might be able to make that work, but the other issue is how to best get a wireless network to run from there since everytime I plug an ethernet cable to my airport extreme to amplify the network, it ends up screwing everything up, likely as some security measure or some error due to IP address assignments.
No. You want to keep the MAIN ROUTER where you need it the most. Like in the middle of your house depending on the size of your house. For my needs I have my MAIN ROUTER in my laundry room which is a older Airport Time Capsule with WiFi Turned off. Then I have 3 additional Airport Extremes (set in Bridge Mode) around my house because I have Wifi security cameras outside and around my house. To get a strong signal to the cameras and other things in my house I put one extreme in the center of my house and one at the back of my house and one at the front of my house. I have a 3300 sq ft house. I am using them in Roaming Mode with the same SSID. They are all hardwired together via ETHERNET CABLE. However, If did not already have those Extremes I would have installed one of the Mesh Router Systems.

You said that you had a problem when you "plug an ethernet cable to my airport extreme". As you can see by setup you most likely missed a step or too. If you can run an ethernet cable (cat 6) from your main router to your Airport Extreme (maybe in the garage) then all you have to do is put your Airport Extreme into BRIDGE MODE like I am doing. You can then setup a separate SSID wifi ID for that location. I would simply run off the same network instead of using a guest network in this case unless you are really concerned about security but in most cases not required. But a guest network does allow you actual guests to have a separate network then your home. But if you are not doing that now (i.e. you just give out you wifi to family and friends) then maybe you are not that concerned.

• Helpful
Reactions: buttershrimp
@buttershrimp

I have a WiFi AP right over my car... it is still on 2017.34. When 34 came out, I got it on the first day. I don't think "strong" wifi really matters.

I use open mesh APs at home. UniFi APs at work. Both support mesh, but I pull a wire to each one and leave the mesh for the backup.
I have no idea what the timing is.. so far, on the small sample I have (three firmware releases when the car was at home, others were when the car was at the SC) I've received each one within 12 hours of the first appearance on TeslaFi. Have to see how long that lasts! :D

@buttershrimp

I have a WiFi AP right over my car... it is still on 2017.34. When 34 came out, I got it on the first day. I don't think "strong" wifi really matters.

I use open mesh APs at home. UniFi APs at work. Both support mesh, but I pull a wire to each one and leave the mesh for the backup.
The problem with a weak or flaky wifi (or internet) may be that the download fails part way thru. During this past week I had some internet issues. Very strange. I would get some web sites and not others. My FIOS Internet provider finally said they had an outage in my area (which I guess only was on certain "paths"). Anyway, the night I got 2017.42 (which was part of the internet issues) I also had a error on my screen that the update failed and would try later (or something like that). Maybe related to my internet issues. I have 150/150 and from my garage my iPhone on wifi gets most of that.

Thanks for all your help.

It’s not coaxial, it looks like Ethernet cable but is slightly smaller in width.... can I extend that by purchasing a female to male cable so I can move the router closer?

Reliable WiFi seems to be the issue. I can get updates if I screw my yard up and drive right up to the house
This should maybe be a network thread lol...

It could just be cheap ethernet cable.. the thing that really tells you what you have is the connector, not the cable. Is it an RJ-45 (the large one that looks like a phone connector (which is RJ-11)?). That's ethernet, no matter what the cable:

Rj-11 Vs Rj-45

To answer the question, technically, yes, you can extend it, but it's really not a great idea long term. Be better to use a switch to put it into and add a new cable to another port.

Or replace the whole thing with an Orbi pair as we were discussing so you have better wifi everywhere. :D But I know that's perhaps a larger project than you want to undertake.

The best simplest answer is to replace the whole one piece cable with a longer one, then you aren't dealing with 'extenders'/female-female adapters, etc. If you can get to where the other end of the cable is plugged into.

I just got this update. Took less then 25 minutes. However, after it was complete I left and after about 1 mile it said it did not complete the update. I got this same message the last time but since I did not monitor it not sure when it came out. So could of been that same thing. Also, I lost my GPS again. Happened once before and after it set for a while it reset. I just parked the car and noticed on my iPhone Tesla App the location changed back to my house. Before it was showing a little different (NW my street) so not sure if is fixed or something else. Would need to drive to know for sure.