Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Side idea: If Tesla added an IR LED (activated once every X frames) to the camera module offset from the windshield, that would allow checking of optical clarity via back scatering/ reflection at night.
One thing that's pretty much guaranteed is they're NOT going to be adding any hardware to existing cars; they've been insistent they can do everything with the existing hardware and they'll keep on trying. Future cars is a different story though...

One thing that's pretty much guaranteed is they're NOT going to be adding any hardware to existing cars; they've been insistent they can do everything with the existing hardware and they'll keep on trying. Future cars is a different story though...

Yeah, I meant that as "had added", but didn't like that since I don't know if one exists in current modules. Had a client where we needed to force all cameras to daylight mode to see anything due to dust on lenses.

The first part of my commute this morning was along a dark country lane with no streetlights. The autowipers did not really activate on either setting however light from oncoming traffic triggered them straight away. I'd say this initial release does not work well in the dark, sure it will get better though and glad to finally have it.

Interestingly, had my first drives today on 50.3 and enabled the Auto Wipers in the Settings. It was not raining and the Auto 1 and Auto 2 settings dutifully were not moving (i.e. proof that the auto settings were on). I settled on Auto 2 and started my drive.

During the drive, the wipers operated once. It was the moment I came out from a short tunnel/underneath a bridge when darkness turned to light. I did not notice any water dripping on the car, though of course it is not impossible that some did. It was not raining. What also seem plausible is that the change in brightness (I came from shady side of the tunnel to the sunny side) triggered the NN, perhaps together with some dirt on the windshield?, similar to oncoming traffic in your case...

Received the update last night and tried it out with significant rain today :)

My observations:
- of course better compared with before (nothing) but less fluent compared with my other cars. It wipes 2-3 times, pauses and starts again instead of reducing the overall interval. With more heavy rain it was wiping the whole time.

BUT I discovered something new, I think, with the AP.
The max AP speed was limited to the speed according to the max allowed speed.
Example: max allowed speed 80 km/hour. Cruisecontrol worked at 83, when engaging AP message " Auto pilot max speed allowed 80km/hr" and car slowed down to 80. Same with for example 53 km/hr in 50km/hr zone, back to 50. No change with wiper off or continues.

Is this new??

Pedro

Note: started with AP1 in 2015 and have new S (100D born in July 2017) since September, only 3000 miles experience with this one.

It wipes 2-3 times, pauses and starts again instead of reducing the overall interval. With more heavy rain it was wiping the whole time.

If @verygreen's reporting is still accurate and this has not changed in 50.3 (see links e.g. here: Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD) Tesla had been gravitating away from NNs that report rain level, to NN that reports just rain on/off. If so, it could explain the "on/off" nature of less heavy rain sensing?

Got my update this morning. Unfortunately the update failed but for some reason it has the newer firmware listed.
Two of the past three updates did that same thing for me: report as failed after actually installing the new version. I know that 50.3 installed despite the reported failure because the AUTO wiper setting is now available. I think that some post-install process must be failing.

Interestingly, had my first drives today on 50.3 and enabled the Auto Wipers in the Settings. It was not raining and the Auto 1 and Auto 2 settings dutifully were not moving (i.e. proof that the auto settings were on). I settled on Auto 2 and started my drive.

During the drive, the wipers operated once. It was the moment I came out from a short tunnel/underneath a bridge when darkness turned to light. I did not notice any water dripping on the car, though of course it is not impossible that some did. It was not raining. What also seem plausible is that the change in brightness (I came from shady side of the tunnel to the sunny side) triggered the NN, perhaps together with some dirt on the windshield?, similar to oncoming traffic in your case...

I should have been more clear that in my case it was raining fairly heavily but it was as if the cameras could not see the raindrops unless they were lit up by the light from oncoming traffic. I can see what you’re saying though, perhaps the sudden change in brightness triggered a false positive in your case.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I should have been more clear that in my case it was raining fairly heavily but it was as if the cameras could not see the raindrops unless they were lit up by the light from oncoming traffic. I can see what you’re saying though, perhaps the sudden change in brightness triggered a false positive in your case.

No no, I understood you perfectly - sorry for not being clear myself. I just meant that in my case the similar effect of coming from darker to light could have triggered it, e.g. if in my case the windshield had some dirt or something that was not so evident in the shade, but became evident with the change of light direction (a sunny spot).

Of course it could have been merely the brightness change too, as you point out.

• Helpful
Reactions: TheTron
It reported an update failure on the app and/or the display. But when I checked the vehicle information (displayed by pressing the Tesla symbol), it showed the later version.

Mine reported the update failure, but shows the new version too. However, the dash display said call Tesla for the update, which I did and they sent it off to diagnostics who should be calling me back.

I’ve read elsewhere that when this happens the AP might be disabled until resolved.

I just put over 700 miles on 50.3 today. Wow is all I can say. 99% of the drive was on AP, and it was solid as a rock. In my opinion, they've got it pretty well nailed down now.
Yep!
While auto wipers is fantastic and everyone is focusing in on it, it looks like they snuck “Super Silky Smooth Autopilot” in under the radar as the real New Years Surprise!

Interesting. I got the update last night.

I logged into my WiFi to check download size. What I found was when I was putting x-mas stuff back in the attic 2 days ago, I had kicked the wire out of the garage AP. So that SSID the car uses didn't exist and the car has not been connecting.

Downloaded over LTE.

Mine reported the update failure, but shows the new version too. However, the dash display said call Tesla for the update, which I did and they sent it off to diagnostics who should be calling me back.

I’ve read elsewhere that when this happens the AP might be disabled until resolved.

How do you get a hold of them? I sat on hold for an hour this morning and still no one.

So is the prevailing theory that variations in solar/ambient conditions could be triggering the auto wipers when they're not supposed to wipe? And that poor lighting conditions might be responsible for no wiper action when you want it to wipe?

Seems plauible, but can someone do some controlled tests of this? For instance:

- Try obstructing the camera with a cloth, some powder or other items (not water) - do the wipers activate?

- Try driving with auto wipers on while its snowing - do they activate?

I.e. create 'artificial' shadows or such that could potentially be interpreted as rain or fog on the windshield.

According to Elon's tweet today, Tesla hasn't just got rid of a dedicated rain sensor, but also dedicated 'sun' sensor. This isn't entirely clear to me. The AP1 sensor apparently has both 'rain', 'solar' and 'ambient light' sensing. So if 'solar' and 'ambient light' are two different things in this respect - what functionality is Elon referring to? Is it the sensor that controls screen brightness? (Also remember that AP2 has a 'HVAC' sensor - that little lens above the tri-cam that ppl believed was a rain-sensor.) I'm confused, please help clarify :)