Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:

"Anyone wishing to sell an engine or vehicle within the United States must demonstrate compliance with the CAA and all applicable EPA regulations. This approval process differs from the self-certification used by NHTSA and is closer to the EU type approval system for safety and emissions regulations. Once EPA sets emission standards for a particular engine and/or vehicle category, manufacturers must produce engines that meet those standards by a specified date.75 Conformity is determined under test procedures specified by EPA.76 The most common testing procedure used by EPA is the Federal Test Procedure, as mandated by the Energy Tax Act of 1978.77 Tests are based on the Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule 78 to reflect typical driving patterns (e.g., city, highway, aggressive, and use of air conditioning). Currently, EPA uses a three-tiered compliance strategy for light-duty vehicles: (1) pre-production evaluation to certify vehicles prior to sale; (2) a production evaluation on the assembly line for early evaluation of production vehicles, and (3) a final clearance applied to verify that properly maintained vehicles continue to meet the standards after several years of use."

More than anyone needs to know at: https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=751039

OOps, forgot the word "not" before I hit "reply"

Reactions: Matias
So... looking into the Hong Kong FRT expiration, especially since a number of bear articles have come out pointing out the cratering of EV demand after such government incentives expire. Apparently Tesla registered an extra 510 vehicles to take advantage of the FRT before expiration in Q1:

免稅「空檔期」狂入貨 電動車省稅五億

I'm using Google Translate, and it appears that Tesla "stressed that the vehicle is registered as a company is operating on their own need."

Presumably, they use these as service loaners or demo cars for a little bit, then sell them as used cars, probably can command a price higher or at least equal to the old "new" price. They won't show up as "new car" deliveries in Q2.

It seems the new policy is to exempt the first HK$97,500, or about $12,500. Which is still something and likely makes the Model 3 still viable when the RHD versions come out. And clearly demand was pulled forward.

Anyone here with decent Chinese language skills, can you please provide a better summary? Or anyone from Hong Kong give us some more color on the situation post FRT in Hong Kong?

You might PM @DITB

• Informative
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
You can glimpse the interior pretty well there. Looks just like all the M3 sightings so far. There doesn't appear to be any interior surprise.

I think you've led us to our July 29th financial "news" headlines:

"Elon Musk and Tesla's credibility plummet even deeper at make or break Model 3 event"

Firstly, Yes, if we do see 150 GWh produced in 2020 at GF1, most likely considerably more than 33% will be for Tesla Energy. In various ways, Tesla has consistently indicated that GF1 could produce 150 GWh at that point in time while never saying it will. I think it's very likely that a major contributing factor (quite possibly the driving factor) to that ambiguity is a desire to offer guidance consistent the difficulty in knowing precisely when TE demand will reach that scale. To be clear, I think there is considerably more confidence at Tesla that it will, rather than when it will.

A few other points of smaller consequence than the first,

2) average pack size ~70 rather than 60 (pretty sure Elon said that in some outloud back of the envelope talk)

3) hasn't Tesla said in the past a roughly 50/50 mix of batteries for auto and energy storage

4) factor in Tesla Semi very heavy use of batteries

1) I follow your logic. Tough to predict as you said.

2) I don't know how avg pack size would be 70 kWh, given that base size for Model 3 will be "less than 60 kWh" per Jeff Evans in April 2016: Tesla confirms base Model 3 will have less than 60 kWh battery pack option, cost is below $190/kWh and falling Model 3/Y will comprise vast majority of units in 2020.

3) yes, but they said long-term. Maybe they meant 2020, and the math I presented earlier does point to that, but I was originally expecting that 50:50 mix closer to 2025. I'm starting to realize that I'm underestimating Tesla energy's growth.

4) agreed, which begs the question, why tie up all that battery production capacity (1.5 MWh per Semi?) IF asp is only ~$300-350k and gross margin 25%?! Instead of producing more model 3/Y?! If each Semi is priced 10x of model 3 with similar margin, but uses 20x battery production capacity?!?! I'm missing something. What am I missing?! I guess they'll set semi asp much higher? Or maybe charge high margin for electricity for semi's?

• Love
Reactions: MitchJi and 22522

2) I don't know how avg pack size would be 70 kWh, given that base size for Model 3 will be "less than 60 kWh" per Jeff Evans in April 2016: Tesla confirms base Model 3 will have less than 60 kWh battery pack option, cost is below $190/kWh and falling Model 3/Y will comprise vast majority of units in 2020.

3) yes, but they said long-term. Maybe they meant 2020, and the math I presented earlier does point to that, but I was originally expecting that 50:50 mix closer to 2025. I'm starting to realize that I'm underestimating Tesla energy's growth.

4) agreed, which begs the question, why tie up all that battery production capacity (1.5 MWh per Semi?) IF asp is only ~$300-350k and gross margin 25%?! Instead of producing more model 3/Y?! If each Semi is priced 10x of model 3 with similar margin, but uses 20x battery production capacity?!?! I'm missing something. What am I missing?! I guess they'll set semi asp much higher? Or maybe charge high margin for electricity for semi's?

As to 2), roughly 10% will be S/X, I think out of the gate it will be a 60 and a 75 for the M3 (yes, I know at one point Elon said under 60... but I don't see the base M3 having a range under the Bolt's for multiple reasons and that makes a 60 likely), by 2020, M3 could be higher than 60 and 75. While of course it's debatable, I'm in the camp that thinks the bigger battery will have the majority of sales. We'll see... but I'm about 99% confident 70 was said at least once as average (it stuck out to me as it's the number I'd already been using for rough calculations).

• Helpful
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Suggestion for the IR/PR department at Tesla: I think it would be a great move to have 20+ (actually I would go for all of them) of the model 3s to be delivered be to the factory workers, selected by lottery, that have reserved a model 3.

This is suppose to be a car for 'everyman' (women). I would have EM/The board pour a glass of champaign FOR these workers and toast them. IMO, this is not a party for the 'one percenters' of the world but a celebration for all.

The boost for morale, not to mention the positive press, would be great.

EDIT: I emailed IR with this suggestion

While I really like your suggestion, I think it's a done deal that these are Founders Series Model 3s. Ira E is not only a thoughtful Tesla customer who let Elon have the first vehicle, he's on the board of Tesla. Again, I like your way of handling this better.

myusername, I'd really like to see your answers to techmaven's questions.

if you are going to answer, please give tech's questions priority, as he asked first... but as long as you are responding to this, perhaps you could answer my question: What year do you think the rest of the automobile industry combined will surpass Tesla in long range (over 200 miles) EV total vehicles sold in the year in all markets excluding China (i.e., what year do you think Tesla's market share will drop below 50%).

Ohh thats easy.
Globally, Tesla's share of 350km EVs will/is less than 50% during 2018.
much less.

Yes that includes China, but to ignore China is stupid when it comes to automotive issues

Currently Chinese norm EV is 300km, but 350km is needed to max out the upcoming ZEV scheme.
350km is about 5 credits, market is about 30,000,000
8% of 30,000,000 / 5 = 480,000 x 350km vehicles for 2018 China, yes there will be PHEVs and others reducing this somewhat, but it ramps up to 10% and then 12% annually

or for another perspective, look at what "400km" vehicles sells like compared to Tesla in France
149941733773e9fdaa4078fdbc31b91fb287d2c5cc-VPE.png

globally 70% of the market is smaller than Tesla 3 size, if Tesla Y/4 is smaller than the 3, then it could be an entrant. Tesla was and still is a large vehicle car company.

But is that 70% of the market relevant to Tesla? I would say it is not.

Huge battery = lots of charging. It won't be free. The infrastructure will be expensive but Tesla could probably turn a very good profit from supplying the juice. I could picture a few hundred Kauai sized micro grids attached to Supercharger truck stops with 700KWh charging. Could sell the juice for 12c per KWh but generate it at 4c.

Could see Tesla becoming one of the biggest utilities in the world just from solar on superchargers and factories. With all the advantages of solar adjacent to the chargers with little lost to transmission, it should be very profitable. Certainly could make money from model 3 charging as well, but nothing like the semi.

Ohh thats easy.
much less.

Yes that includes China, but to ignore China is stupid when it comes to automotive issues

Currently Chinese norm EV is 300km, but 350km is needed to max out the upcoming ZEV scheme.
350km is about 5 credits, market is about 30,000,000
8% of 30,000,000 / 5 = 480,000 x 350km vehicles for 2018 China, yes there will be PHEVs and others reducing this somewhat, but it ramps up to 10% and then 12% annually

or for another perspective, look at what "400km" vehicles sells like compared to Tesla in France

globally 70% of the market is smaller than Tesla 3 size, if Tesla Y/4 is smaller than the 3, then it could be an entrant. Tesla was and still is a large vehicle car company.

Lols renin, if anyone on this forum doesn't need a spokesperson stepping in, it's myusername. I would quite like it if myusername would respond, what's more, I would quite like if myusername's response is an answer to my question, ie, names the year he/she thinks Tesla will fall below 50% ex-China market share in the 200+ mile (EPA standards) pure EV segment.

Fwiw, I'm afraid I can't focus at all on your comment until I hear back from myusername- none of us would want to see myself or the board get distracted from this question and m-u-n's answer, would we? I'll be happy to respond to your comment after myusername answers my question.

Last edited:
Ohh thats easy.
much less.

Renault Zoe's new 41 kWh variant has a range on the EPA scale around 185 miles. It is not a 200+ mile long range BEV. And lots of those sales in on that chart have to do with short range variants, with 22 kWh batteries.

The issue with China is that the vast majority of BEVs sold there have LiFePO4 battery chemistry. That's a dead end. And lots of those vehicles are not possible to be homologated outside of China. Matter of fact, the Chinese government is trying to figure out how much fraud was in the incentive program. We might find out that there were far less vehicles actually made and sold than reported.

Here's a report on Chinese EVs:
EV Sales: China May 2017
#1, the BAIC EC180 has a 20 kWh battery.
#2, the Zhidou D2 EV is basically a quadricycle with 12 kWh battery.
and so forth.

All of BYD's production is LiFePO4. That's a non-starter in developed economies outside of fleet sales.

My question for @myusername was for luxury marquees and long range BEVs. If you look at this chart:

EV Sales: World Top 10 May 2017

Tesla is #1 2017 YTD through May, worldwide in terms of overall volumes even counting PHEVs and those short range EVs. But amongst long range BEVs from luxury marquees, Tesla is also #1 and has 100% marketshare. Amongst long range BEVs which are mass produced and capable of worldwide homogation, Tesla's marketshare in 2017, YTD is about 85%. I expect that to increase in 2018 and 2019, even as volumes climb dramatically.

Last edited:
So... looking into the Hong Kong FRT expiration, especially since a number of bear articles have come out pointing out the cratering of EV demand after such government incentives expire. Apparently Tesla registered an extra 510 vehicles to take advantage of the FRT before expiration in Q1:

免稅「空檔期」狂入貨 電動車省稅五億

I'm using Google Translate, and it appears that Tesla "stressed that the vehicle is registered as a company is operating on their own need."

Presumably, they use these as service loaners or demo cars for a little bit, then sell them as used cars, probably can command a price higher or at least equal to the old "new" price. They won't show up as "new car" deliveries in Q2.

It seems the new policy is to exempt the first HK$97,500, or about $12,500. Which is still something and likely makes the Model 3 still viable when the RHD versions come out. And clearly demand was pulled forward.

Anyone here with decent Chinese language skills, can you please provide a better summary? Or anyone from Hong Kong give us some more color on the situation post FRT in Hong Kong?

Ok, had my wife look the article over. First point she made is the article is a mish mash of numbers that don't add up. The title emphasizes the 500 million HK Dollars that the purchaser of the 510 vehicles was able to save on initial registration fees. Whereas the Total savings is around 3.1 billion HK dollars (Why just talk about the 500 million and not the total??). "Rebate Frenzy!!!"

The 510 vehicles that were bought to take advantage of the Tax rebate was bought by a single business entity. The government does not disclose that registration information. However it did disclose that Tesla has directly registered separate (un-specified number) vehicles for business use as loaners, inventory vehicles and management vehicles (assume for upper management use). Thus it seems that Tesla has directly registered vehicles with the government and the 510 vehicles are registered by an Unknown business entity (not necessarily Tesla). Given the article's emphasis that Tesla has currently registered vehicles under Tesla's name, the implication is that the unknown business entity may not be Tesla. (We don't know, and the article and government doesn't clarify).

The 510 vehicles will then be able to be sold as used vehicles after April 1, and the future buyers after April 1 will not have to pay the New vehicle registration fee/tax (which is the big burden).

Approx 3171 Teslas were sold during the rebate period, NOT including the 510 purchased by the single business entity.

49 registrants (presumably business) registered 1 or more vehicles. 4 registered 3-4 vehicles. 1 registered 510 vehicles. Others were personal use. Approximately 56% are personal use. There were some additional numbers regarding the personal use figures which just did not add up, and don't really make sense.

The Legislature specifically pointed out that this is all legal and correct. Pointing out this is a valid "Loophole" of the law as it was written. They suggested that in the future the law could be better written to prevent a business entity from doing this, but as it stands, it is totally valid and legal. Apparently the government has no complaints about this.

Finally the article comments that the EV commission is unhappy with the sudden loss of the rebate with no additional EV incentives. They suggested that maybe in the future, the government should consider incentivizing ICE trade ins for EVs to mitigate possible issues of congestion, but still promote a green HK.

Last edited:

I hope it's just my broken sarcasm detector and you didn't post this all serious...

The Renault Zoe might be a 400km EV as per the European cycle (probably less then 300 if it was measured by the EPA), but it's a small city car in the supermini category vs. the large sedan that is the Model S. It is also an economy car (look at the interior materials in videos) vs. the luxury sedan. Most importantly, it starts at €23.700 with battery, €17.700 with the battery rental, vs the €75.700 starting price of the S (all French prices to keep this fair).

In other words: Breaking news! BMW is doomed! The Renault Clio outsells the BMW 7 series 20:1!

I mean both are petrol cars, so it's a fair comparison, right?

Ps: I am driving a Renault Megane, so this is not a diss at Renault, they make fine cars.

So he's already wrong on the availability... there will clearly be production Model 3's in July of 2017.

Let's not fool ourselves. The availability of 30 cars/month is not what the market expects. It's a good first sign but there needs to be a follow up. Remember the 5 Model X delivered in September 15 followed by nearly half a year of nothing significant. Should it turn out that the following 6 months Tesla releases on average at most a few hunderd Model 3 per month that would be a major disappointment. Therefore it is still too soon to say that those who predicted no deliveries in 2017 were wrong. Because a few hunderd, from a business and investor perspective, that's really nothing.

Let's not fool ourselves. The availability of 30 cars/month is not what the market expects. It's a good first sign but there needs to be a follow up. Remember the 5 Model X delivered in September 15 followed by nearly half a year of nothing significant. Should it turn out that the following 6 months Tesla releases on average at most a few hunderd Model 3 per month that would be a major disappointment. Therefore it is still too soon to say that those who predicted no deliveries in 2017 were wrong. Because a few hunderd, from a business and investor perspective, that's really nothing.

It's hard to confuse 20,000 cars/month in December to just a few hundred.

Clearly demand is bursting at the seams if there is 400k plus to clear out.

Hope Tesla does not disappoint!

Agreed. I think we will see a 1 handle on the stock if there is a 6 month delay in the production ramp. That said, i would be buying like crazy at that price. I think we have seen that while tesla can be late compared to their forecasts, they get there eventually.

Reactions: neroden and everman
Status
Not open for further replies.