Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking google's deep mind approach to playing GO, version 1 learned from other prior games played. Version 2 played against itself. Applying this to cars, the AI driver could drive against itself in a simulation-- and subsequently cut itself off... :(
There's a significant problem with this analogy, self driving does not lend itself to simulation very well. It is a big headache to identify the bias introduced by training from simulation.

Reactions: neroden
From Tesla.com, expected base price of 500 mile range Semi is $180k. 300 mile range for $150k.

Semi | Tesla

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Holy sugar. Game over.
A difference of $30K for 200 miles of range. Since the ranges are quoted at fully loaded weight, I'm assuming it's close to the upper range of 2kwh/mi consumption that Tesla told us, so the delta is 400kwh of battery, which is $75/kwh :eek:

Edit: Compared to M3, Tesla charges almost $360/kwh ($9K for ~$25kwh extra) for LR vs SR.

A difference of $30K for 200 miles of range. Since the ranges are quoted at fully loaded weight, I'm assuming it's close to the upper range of 2kwh/mi consumption that Tesla told us, so the delta is 400kwh of battery, which is $75/kwh :eek:

Edit: Compared to M3, Tesla charges almost $360/kwh ($9K for ~$25kwh extra) for LR vs SR.

Wow. At that pricing, it puts the battery cost (~14kWh) in a Powerwall 2 at about $1000.

...And one last thing: FSD is NOT some sort the holy grail of software engineering. (General AI is.). It's a software problem, like many others before, that is first deemed as being impossible to achieve, then it will eventually be solved and in less than 5 years later you'll be able to grab your open source FSD models from Github. That's how those things work. No magic sauce required.

I don't know much about software, but if level 4 is months away, I wonder how much longer after that level 5 will be. If m3 hits 5k a week by March then Tesla's will drive over 4.5B miles next year which is a lot of shadow miles, and that's assuming m3 doesn't go above 5k a week.
No disrespect to anyone, but what he showed in this presentation – which might not even be representative of Mobileye's status quo or potential future – is the complete opposite to how Tesla, comma.ai, Uber and most likely Waymo approach FSD.

• Mobileye's approach, according to this presentation:
    Let's divide driving into x sub-tasks / activities / goals and try to come up with a separate mathematical equation or logic for each and everyone of them.
  • Everyone else (simplified):
  1. Let the neural net figure out what driving is and how it works based on provided training data.
  2. Sandbox the AI and set hard limits ("Under no circumstances do this or that ever." etc.)
  3. Optional: Have an observer AI judge the driving AI's decision.
  4. Let it self-improve in simulations and/or shadow driving until it's x-times safer than a human driver in any given situation. Adjust and improve training data, if necessary (go back to step #1, rinse and repeat)
Bottom line:
Mobileye's goal is to build the best-possible robot-like driver agent, everyone else tries to recreate a flawless human-like driver using AI.

Both approaches and goals come with their respective set of pros and cons.

My bet is on deep neural networks.

1. Tesla's plan seems cheaper and more easy to implement once the software is ready
2. I wonder if it still has to be safer than a human or just as safe, something like that was mentioned in the conf call
3. If it has to be significantly safer, do other car makers have an obligation to put it on their cars? What about all the other cars on the road should they have to get aftermarket kits? Should Tesla just give the software away for free?

Wow. At that pricing, it puts the battery cost (~14kWh) in a Powerwall 2 at about $1000.
Has anyone looked at the economics of the Megachargers? Some rough calculations tells me they'll be sort of expensive, but workable.

- 8 MW four bay Megacharger: ~1M USD
- 20 MWh of batteries: ~4M USD
- 12 MW solar: ~8M USD
- 4 MW grid connection: 500k USD (?)

That's a 13.5 million USD investment, with these properties:

- Max ~195 charging sessions per day doing 0-80%, ~75 with solar, ~110 with grid power.
- ~60 MWh solar per day, 1/3 could be stored for night time. Most of the power could be supplied to the grid on low-demand days.

I'm assuming they'd target around 100 charging sessions per day to use up the solar, and add some cheap-ish off-peak grid power. And I'm thinking the highest charging demand would be during daytime, so much of the time the solar wouldn't be going through the batteries or be supplied to the grid.

The daily income would be around 5600 USD, or 2M USD per year. Assuming 10 cents/kWh for 25% of the consumed power, that would leave 1.27M USD for the Megacharger. At a 5% financing cost, the Megacharger would break even at around 15 years.

Does this make sense?

Now the 20MWh of batteries that @Yggdrasill estimated for the Megacharger would only cost $1.5M instead of $4M, or even lower, consider the $75/kWh is what Tesla is charging semi customers.

So: Elon and Tesla CAN do stuff on time!
Come to think about it, Model X production started on time. Elon's stock vesting is standing proof.
Model 3 production also started on time; exactly on July 1st as promised. Elon got the first production car.
Same with solar roof. Elon got the first, JB got the second and it is in "pilot production" since then.

Now the 20MWh of batteries that @Yggdrasill estimated for the Megacharger would only cost $1.5M instead of $4M, or even lower, consider the $75/kWh is what Tesla is charging semi customers.

So the Model 3 LR should be only ~$2500 more than the short range? But Tesla is charging $9k extra? Doesn't seem like Tesla business ethics.

If there is such super duper demand for Semi, sane thing to do is to increase the semi price, not low ball the price to attract more deposit right now. Sounds like desperation to get money right now by selling the future.
Didn't someone report a price of $250k earlier, or am I mistaken?

That's certainly nice, but the Semi pricing does nothing to alleviate my margin concerns. At 150k-200k USD there's no way Tesla has good margin. If Tesla isn't going to make money on the Semi, and they aren't going to make money on the megachargers, where the hell will they make money?

(Maybe they'll simply axe the driver-full version of the Semi, and start their own driverless trucking company? That way they're the one benefiting from their Semi cost cutting...)

Last edited:
Tesla releases ‘expected price’ of semi electric truck: $150,000 to $200,000

"In my opinion, this is all hinting at a major battery breakthrough for cost and energy density that is enabling those new electric vehicles. I don’t see any other way that they can achieve anything close to what they are claiming based on current specs."

I'll have to agree with Fred. Assuming Tesla hasn't gone completely crazy, there has to be a battery breakthrough in the works.

That's certainly nice, but the Semi pricing does nothing to alleviate my margin concerns. At 150k-200k USD there's no way Tesla has good margin. If Tesla isn't going to make money on the Semi, and they aren't going to make money on the megachargers, where the hell will they make money?

(Maybe they'll simply axe the driver-full version of the Semi, and start their own driverless trucking company? That way they're the one benefiting from their Semi cost cutting...)
One of the things that drew me into the Elon fan club was the very first "reveal" event where he met with many of the Roadster reservation holders and told them the bad news, that the car was going to be late, and you had to pay for all the options. He basically said that they would never produce a product without good margins, because that's not a good way to stay alive to change the world. So I think you'll find, when the numbers are in, that the Semi has perfectly fine margins.

So the Model 3 LR should be only ~$2500 more than the short range? But Tesla is charging $9k extra? Doesn't seem like Tesla business ethics.

If there is such super duper demand for Semi, sane thing to do is to increase the semi price, not low ball the price to attract more deposit right now. Sounds like desperation to get money right now by selling the future.
Didn't someone report a price of $250k earlier, or am I mistaken?

There is one thing you forget: The Model 3 Price was what Tesla expected the battery pricing to be at the time of introduction, everyone knew that the LR will be a better margin model as the 35k was the hard thing to do.

Now the Semi is of course priced with the battery prices start of 2020 in mind, maybe even mid 2020. So while I do understand that you have to do your utmost to make them look bad, you failed quite miserable there ;)

• Funny
Reactions: dennis and JRP3
I'm still having a hard time understanding how a Founders Series Semi costs 20% less ($50k) than a Founders Series Roadster but yet it has ~500% more battery capacity, 33% more motors, an air brake system, more AP cameras, 2x the number of touch screens, etc.

Possibly a lot more exotic materials in the Roadster to keep the weight down. Also, Tesla knows that there are a lot of people (10k/year?) happy to pay that price for the Roadster. They're not as cost-conscious as the Semi buyers, and they'll spend lots of money just to show off. What else are they going to spend that money on, Boring Co. hats?

Status
Not open for further replies.