Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Topping the charts in reservations, Loblaw has around 285 Semis on preorder, well above the 100 units ordered by United States-based PepsiCo earlier this week."

Wow, thats impressive. Quite a momentum.

The truck business may turn out to be a much more important part of the business than anticipated.

New record!

No other Tesla product so far has offered Day One value proposition. We will soon hear of 1,000+ orders.

this whole time people have been comparing Tesla to Apple... what if Tesla is Blackberry... a new company... first in an exploratory market that hasn't yet figured out what the real mass product will be... Apple had been around for 20+ years... that's a "dinosaur" in computer technology time... their stock was garbage... etc... so let's visualize the year 2020... only 2 years away. in theory, Tesla should be building factories and exploding at the seams selling M3s out of Freemont... crushing the competition with their "moat".

remember how f'ing cool blackberries were for about 10 seconds? or make that about 3 to 5 years... remember how engrained they were in our workplace?... how big their "moat" was?... how long has Tesla been the coolest thing since sliced bread?... let's say 3 years.

so, i give it any time between now and 2020 that at a minimum one of the large auto manufacturers will put an end to this.

i think it's hilarious that the perception is that a $1T industry is sitting there with their thumbs up their ***es.

No, they are on point. Ready with investment to catch up to Tesla battery production by 2030. Just need Tesla to stop moving forward. No other battery cell pack or motor production in the USA. BYD is the only major competitor at this point.

Bosch is considering a major €20 billion investment in 200 GWh of battery cell production

I finally cracked today and added him to my ignore list. Now that it's done with, I'm actually excited for the new filtered TMC experience I have coming my way.
Remember when you first installed an ad-blocker for your browser? It's gonna feel better than that!

Mod: longstanding policy is that we don't discuss who ignores whom. --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe if they made that decision 3 years ago, but now.. To little to late... Bubye...bu...bye.

I had the opportunity to meet management at the Bosch HQ a while ago. Its a company with a very "special" reputation in Germany of being extra careful with great engineering but definitely avoids of being a first mover but extra slow. Bosch is compared in Germany to people who hire once in their live and never leave until they retire like someone who works for the government and got a livelong guarantee for his/her job, 'no reason to hurry'. Not sure if that paints the picture well how they are perceived.

What I am trying to say is that its very likely that Bosch has a strategy of leaving the first Batterie innovation cycle out and focus fully on the solid state batterie try to develop a technology that is a magnitude better than that what we have today. They want to supply the entire industry as a Tier 1 and intend to build competitive edge. If that takes 10 years they might be willing to wait expecting to have something in hand nobody can compare to.

Having said that we can expect Bosch to be very slow and careful to trying to engineer the best product in the market. I don't see them as a player yet but they may be later in 5+ years. Not sure if their strategy in a disruptive market that we experience today is the right one... I agree to their point of view that their revenues will be under pressure the next years.

I had the opportunity to meet management at the Bosch HQ a while ago. Its a company with a very "special" reputation in Germany of being extra careful with great engineering but definitely avoids of being a first mover but extra slow. Bosch is compared in Germany to people who hire once in their live and never leave until they retire like someone who works for the government and got a livelong guarantee for his/her job, 'no reason to hurry'. Not sure if that paints the picture well how they are perceived.

What I am trying to say is that its very likely that Bosch has a strategy of leaving the first Batterie innovation cycle out and focus fully on the solid state batterie try to develop a technology that is a magnitude better than that what we have today. They want to supply the entire industry as a Tier 1 and intend to build competitive edge. If that takes 10 years they might be willing to wait expecting to have something in hand nobody can compare to.

Having said that we can expect Bosch to be very slow and careful to trying to engineer the best product in the market. I don't see them as a player yet but they may be later in 5+ years. Not sure if their strategy in a disruptive market that we experience today is the right one... I agree to their point of view that their revenues will be under pressure the next years.

I agree Bosch is impressive corporation, as was VW, and a few other bee killing types. I cannot tell you how it was or actually against the law it was, to drive slowly up the right lane on the freeway in Germany. The law requires you to drive in the left lane if your going fast. So, during traffic jams, they (Germans) all cluster in the left lane while I would drive slowly up the right lane, for miles. Not sure how things have changed since 1994, but back in the day. . .

The Germans build major freeway on-ramps and overpasses five years ahead of completion to allow for settling. Here in the US we drive by a site and comment that that on-ramp was not there yesterday:)

In September 1969 as I arrived in Bindloch, Germany they were building a major roundabout, the crew was huge and the amount of beer cases cracked me up. Not sure about the required cases of beer per mile:) Just one of those things that were different from our culture at the time. The US was clueless at the time when it came to roundabouts.

We even bought a Bosch dishwasher a couple of years back. And, I will buy Bosch tools if given the chance. Batteries, we will see:)

When the hardware and software is fully developed, through deep learning from us in our daily lives, the bodies can be discarded altogether. We can then wallow in immortality as but a part of Deep Mind. Surely, like submarine transport by Jules Verne, this has already been anticipated by science fiction. The Matrix tv series got it wrong. We are not batteries, that’s silly, we are just dreamers in the play of life.

Off-topic, but relevant to one possible future mode of mass transportation.

The "Altered Carbon" SF books have expanded on this concept and how it would affect society. Human consciousness is entirely recorded on implants, and bodies become "sleeves" that can be changed when necessary by those who can afford it. For the less well to do, once their original body dies they have the (much cheaper) option of being inserted into a virtual reality world, where they continue to exist as long as they pay their subscription fees. Bodies remain available for rent to these post-corporeal citizens for special occasions (for example, the marriage of a child or birth of a grandchild), after which they go back to VR.

The books' narrative is a detective story, but the author did a commendable job of detailing the profound effects such tech would have on society as a whole (think sending colony ships full of sleeves in stasis to a distant planet with consciousnesses uploaded when it reaches its destination). Whether this is a civilian or military venture would dictate the models of the sleeves sent, and in the case of the military the well trained minds of combat veterans could be re-used at will.

Worth the read if you enjoy good SF, and Netflix just announced they picked it up for production, if you prefer that medium.

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1) by Richard K. Morgan

BB shoot themselves in the foot by not innovating quickly enough and clinging to their strengths.Apple didn't kill them; without BB's blunders, Apple could have turned out to be very good second in the marketplace. But corporate cultures almost guaranteed result the way it played out.

It's quite a gambit you're playing if you bet Tesla will screw up similarly. If anything, their corporate culture is what guarantees they will end up #1. People that work there are driven by the mission. Same for the SpaceX. Otherwise, I'd actually criticize culture in Tesla as not repeatable enough, but it's the mission that ties them all together.

Company (and people) on the mission is a dangerous thing. For competitors.

But anyway, I doubt you want to understand this. You aren't a student of dynamic systems and growing companies, I follow your posts and I feel that you find comfort in stable state industries, standard fin. analysis. Let me guess: You're an engineer in a big, stable company or government where everything is done by the book?

And about 1T industry sitting there? Please read Innovator's Dilema.
I disagree that whoever you’re talking to is an engineer. No engineers I know would bet against Elon.

I've seen the math and I'm quite sure: they won't be.

You can't get the volume of people-moving without trains. They are the high-volume solution.

Until they aren't. In the same way that steam ships were the most efficient ways to deliver people across an ocean, or horses were the quickest way in to town.

Disruptive technologies have a way of changing the landscape.

Anything else is silliness, and this is due to fundamental physics first principles. Musk needs to listen to his own advice.

There's nothing that about trains that directly addresses the "physics first principles" of getting a certain number of folks from point A to point B. That's a problem associated with the number of units to be moved, time, and distance.

Trains are one way to solve the equation. Associated with that are a number of secondary considerations: queuing issues, congestions at hubs, packaging, routing, etc...

But from a first principals standpoint, if the total # of units can arrive from point A to point B in less time using alternative methods then we aren't violating any physics. This will require applying different sets of solutions to those similar sets of secondary considerations.

Think about it in terms of something other than the traditional transportation "box". This is a lot like the move from circuit-switched communications infrastructure to packet switched.

Back in the day, communications lines were allocated on a circuit basis (i.e. the operator plugged your line in to the destination line, and that circuit remained "nailed up" for the duration of the conversation). This required large central offices, large numbers of dedicated trunks between dense communications centers, a specific set of batching and queuing methodology to avoid busy signals, etc...

The solutions to expansion and growth in this era was to build larger central offices, install more trunk lines, build more efficient switches, automate operations, etc... but fundamentally the solution remained the same: nail up a line between to parties. That underlying premise necessarily bounded what could be done with the system.

The move to packet-switched networks changed everything. By necessity of physics, a packet that was allowed to only "hold the line" to a destination for a fraction of a second was going to be able to transfer less information than an established circuit. There was still the need for centralized offices, central lines, etc... but what could be done with that infrastructure was a paradigm-change.

Because these individual packets could be smaller they could ultimately be made faster. Multiple packets could be multiplexed on the same lines. Queuing and switching became more flexible. Routing possibilities expanded dramatically. It became possible to upgrade existing lines to handle more traffic via control mechanisms not possible in circuit environments. Trunking became dynamic. Distributed paths became possible. Redundancy and congestion control became significantly more flexible. Advancements in information systems had dramatic impacts in system management.

Do all of the necessary components for a fully distributed "packetized" human transportation system exist today? No. But things like cheaper alternatives to high-speed rail such as hyperloop, advancements in underground boring, BFR-style trips, automated driving/piloting systems and the like, could very well be the initial sparks in developing that sort of infrastructure. This is the same way that the first DARPA IMP packet routers and the initial DAPANET network paved the way for the internet

is the analogy perfect? No. But my point is: never say never. It may not seem possible with what you know today, but try not to let it hamper your view of what may be possible tomorrow. Otherwise we should be talking about who makes the finer buggy whip.

(PS- I fully support this topic being spun off to it's own thread)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.