Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Model 3 Volumes
Tesla plans to get to 5000 cars/wk in Q4. If they achieve this mid-quarter, that leaves ~6 weeks at 5k plus a previous 18 weeks of potential production at a much lower rate. I think 500/wk is generous for the previous weeks because the first couple months will probably involve making 50 cars, tweaking the line for 3 weeks, and then making another 50. So I think 39k Model 3 in 2017 is a generous estimate.

More conservatively, I see Tesla getting to 5k/wk in mid-December, with 1-2K per week for the proceeding 4 weeks and then maybe 2k cars total for the 18 weeks before that. So that would be 18k Model 8 in 2017 and deliveries of about 2k.

Last edited:
The really exciting sentence is this one (at least for a long like me)

Later this year, we expect to finalize locations for Gigafactories 3, 4 and possibly 5 (Gigafactory 2 is the Tesla solar plant in New York).

So they will do what is necessary to outgrow the competition.

One GF in China, 1 in Europe and an other one in the ... US ?

Last edited:
The really exciting sentences is this one (at least for a long like me)

Later this year, we expect to finalize locations for Gigafactories 3, 4 and possibly 5 (Gigafactory 2 is the Tesla solar plant in New York).

So they will do what is necessary to outgrow the competition.

One GF in China, 1 in Europe and an other one in the ... US ?

I think we saw enough excitement last week that the UAE could be one of the locations

• Informative
Reactions: StephenM and Ulmo
Regarding Model 3 Volumes
Tesla plans to get to 5000 cars/wk in Q4. If they achieve this mid-quarter, that leaves ~6 weeks at 5k plus a previous 18 weeks of potential production at a much lower rate. I think 500/wk is generous for the previous weeks because the first couple months will probably involve making 50 cars, tweaking the line for 3 weeks, and then making another 50. So I think 39k Model 3 in 2017 is a good-generous estimate.

More conservatively, I see Tesla getting to 5k/wk in mid-December, with 1-2K per week for the proceeding 4 weeks and then maybe 2k cars total for the 18 weeks before that. So that would be 18k Model 8 in 2017 and deliveries of about 2k.
You're being way conservative.

There will be no 3 weeks of fiddling with the line to make 50 cars.

I expect 5k/wk mid 4Q17, and probably an average of 2k/wk for the weeks from July to there. The early ones lower, the ones just before 5k will be in the 4k range.

6 weeks at 5k = 30k
19 weeks at 2k = 38k

I expect around 70k. If the line gets roaring faster, they could easily make Elon's 100k lower bound.

Also, its not like it just stops when it hits 5k/wk. The letter says the expect to continue the ramp through 10k/wk sometime in 2018.

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike and Turing
One number I keep monitoring in each ER is the Customer Deposits. For the first time this has decreased Q on Q, from $690m to $663M. Still, considering, that they must have finished delivering the MX signature backlog by EOY, this is impressive as those puppies carve out 40k a pice from this number once they get converted to orders.

Only problem is, without knowing where the M3 preorder tally is at, it's impossible to calculate the S/X backlog.

Reactions: neroden
Interesting that they appear to have only counted the first 1000 AP2 cars as revenue, which means that a future quarter will have a LOT of extra revenue from virtually every car since last October popping $3k-$8k onto the pile. This is what happens when you only look at accounting results and not actual money, similar to what happened with lease accounting that will still be catching up for some time in GAAP figures.

Interesting that they appear to have only counted the first 1000 AP2 cars as revenue, which means that a future quarter will have a LOT of extra revenue from virtually every car since last October popping $3k-$8k onto the pile. This is what happens when you only look at accounting results and not actual money, similar to what happened with lease accounting that will still be catching up for some time in GAAP figures.
You mean 5-8k. EAP = 5k, FSD = 3k.

Reactions: CanuckS#69
Status
Not open for further replies.