Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a long chaotic day. But felt this post is deserving a comprehensive reply. Here are my thoughts:

As others have said, production rated has flattened. Company has said multiple times that demand itself is up.

We can debate this all day, all year. But here is the demand related wording from the letter:
- Q4 Model S and X orders reach record highs 

- Model S and X net order growth remains strong
- In Q4, we received 49% more global net orders for Model S and X combined, compared to the same period in 2015

Here is my rant on this. Why talk about demand in so many twisted ways? Why not straight up just tell us what the actual numbers are? How many net-orders were there in Q4 exactly? Why is that such a secret?

You know who used to talk like this? SolarCity. Uber talks like this. Anytime any company gives out un-informative information like this, I basically just disregard it.

The only real number that they gave is 47K to 50K deliveries in 1H. Whatever the reason is, the issue is that the number is not reflective of growth from current run-rate.

Secondly, why did they not give 2H guidance if not for fear of model-3 cannibalization? I originally didn’t believe in cannibalization for the reasons @anticitizen13.7 expressed up thread. But lack of 2H number, especially after an analyst explicitly asked for it on the call is a dead giveaway that management is fearful of it.

Ultimately, the reason I’m even discussing this is to put it all together to understand the cashflow dynamic. Not really interested in a religious demand debate, which I know is a perpetual debate. So if someone thinks that S/X will contribute more cash than I’m implying, I am happy to discuss further.

SG&A combines both Tesla and Solarcity. In Q3 2016, Solarcity's SG&A amounted to $198.7 million. Tesla stated that the Solarcity portion was $85 million since the acquisition. So the rest of Tesla's Q4 SG&A was $371 million, which is only a $35 million increase, or about 11%.

I didn't double check this math. But lets go with these numbers. That's 11% QoQ though. Thats still pretty substantial. Again my cribs are not about the past. My only point is that this will keep growing adding to the cash pressures. So Q1 and Q2 will not be as positive as one might think without accounting for growth in SG&A.

Capex guidance isn't enormous. Remember, the company is not only bringing online 2017 Model 3 related expansion, but also portions that are required for 2018 volumes. My rough calculations for capex are roughly inline... the capex is front loaded anyways.

Somebody explicitly asked about capex to go from 5K to 10K run rate. Musk danced around it and gave a bunch of commentary. Ultimately he said it will be something like 50 to 70% of the 0 to 5K. To which JB added they are not starting from scratch with the note “gigafactory in particular” (implies not so much the freemont factory).

Lets keep in mind the 2 to 2.5B being spent early 17 is not the only capex going into model-3 capex. Tesla spent 1.4B in 16, 1.6B in 15. God knows how much of it is meant for model-3. But we can imagine it’s considerable amount between two factories.

Overall I took it as at least 2Bil more capex to go from 5k to 10K rate (after the 2 to 2.5Bil spend in 1H). Do you think this is too high?

You are forgetting what was left on table. The ~2,700 vehicle that missed by two days represents about $60 million in revenues that weren't received but the COGS and SG&A were present in Q4. Further, EAP revenues weren't included and again, those COGS, SG&A, and R&D were present in Q4. Assuming $3,500 of the EAP option price can be realized, that's $87 million. Between the two, that's $147 million in revenue that didn't arrive in Q4, and that's not even all the finished goods inventory in transit.

From my elementary understanding of accounting, you are mixing up income-statement with cash-flow statement.
- If we are looking at net income, then afaik, cogs gets recognized only when revenue gets recognized. So the cogs on the missed 2.7K deliveries is not accounted and is not an issue.
- If we are looking at operating cashflow, then yes you are right, cogs went out the door but revenues didn't come in but we need to look at changes in accounts payable vs receivable etc as well. Bigger point is in this case the cash from EAP as well as FSD is already counted in!

You seem to be arguing it both ways and double counting things whichever way we look at it.

Also, the Solarcity cash flows need to separated, so the $448 million in negative cash flow from operating activities needs to also be balanced against the $180 million in cash from from non-controlling interests, or at least the $98 million in the net income (loss) attribuate to noncontrolling interests and redeemable noncontrolling interest.

The $147 million in revenue that didn't make it in Q4 would have made the difference for a GAAP positive quarter.

Likely Q1 will look fantastic except for capex, including selling more energy generation revenues off. I think it would have been more useful to see the Tesla versus Solarcity numbers so that people would have more clarity.

Okay, I'm out of energy now... In a nutshell, I am just trying to get on operating-cashflow and free-cashflow and project them out for next few quarters. My very rudimentary analysis is that Q1 will be less bad than Q4 but will still be in negative territory. Q2 will be substantially worse than Q1. Q3 will be hell of a lot worse than Q2. They will be terrifyingly worse if S/X deliveries go down.

The risk is no longer a delayed 3 (or early 3 for that matter). The true risk is 3 comes out but scales up slowly.

Last edited:
It's been a long chaotic day. But felt this post is deserving a comprehensive reply. Here are my thoughts:

We can debate this all day, all year. But here is the demand related wording from the letter:
- Q4 Model S and X orders reach record highs 

- Model S and X net order growth remains strong
- In Q4, we received 49% more global net orders for Model S and X combined, compared to the same period in 2015

Here is my rant on this. Why talk about demand in so many twisted ways? Why not straight up just tell us what the actual numbers are? How many net-orders were there in Q4 exactly? Why is that such a secret?

You know who used to talk like this? SolarCity. Uber talks like this. Anytime any company gives out un-informative information like this, I basically just disregard it.

The only real number that they gave is 47K to 50K deliveries in 1H. Whatever the reason is, the issue is that the number is not reflective of growth from current run-rate.

Secondly, why did they not give 2H guidance if not for fear of model-3 cannibalization? I originally didn’t believe in cannibalization for the reasons @anticitizen13.7 expressed up thread. But lack of 2H number, especially after an analyst explicitly asked for it on the call is a dead giveaway that management is fearful of it.

Ultimately, the reason I’m even discussing this is to put it all together to understand the cashflow dynamic. Not really interested in a religious demand debate, which I know is a perpetual debate. So if someone thinks that S/X will contribute more cash than I’m implying, I am happy to discuss further.

I didn't double check this math. But lets go with these numbers. That's 11% QoQ though. Thats still pretty substantial. Again my cribs are not about the past. My only point is that this will keep growing adding to the cash pressures. So Q1 and Q2 will not be as positive as one might think without accounting for growth in SG&A.

Somebody explicitly asked about capex to go from 5K to 10K run rate. Musk danced around it and gave a bunch of commentary. Ultimately he said it will be something like 50 to 70% of the 0 to 5K. To which JB added they are not starting from scratch with the note “gigafactory in particular” (implies not so much the freemont factory).

Lets keep in mind the 2 to 2.5B being spent early 17 is not the only capex going into model-3 capex. Tesla spent 1.4B in 16, 1.6B in 15. God knows how much of it is meant for model-3. But we can imagine it’s considerable amount between two factories.

Overall I took it as at least 2Bil more capex to go from 5k to 10K rate (after the 2 to 2.5Bil spend in 1H). Do you think this is too high?

From my elementary understanding of accounting, you are mixing up income-statement with cash-flow statement.
- If we are looking at net income, then afaik, cogs gets recognized only when revenue gets recognized. So the cogs on the missed 2.7K deliveries is not accounted and is not an issue.
- If we are looking at operating cashflow, then yes you are right, cogs went out the door but revenues didn't come in but we need to look at changes in accounts payable vs receivable etc as well. Bigger point is in this case the cash from EAP as well as FSD is already counted in!

You seem to be arguing it both ways and double counting things whichever way we look at it.

Okay, I'm out of energy now... In a nutshell, I am just trying to get on operating-cashflow and free-cashflow and project them out for next few quarters. My very rudimentary analysis is that Q1 will be less bad than Q4 but will still be in negative territory. Q2 will be substantially worse than Q1. Q3 will be hell of a lot worse than Q2. They will be terrifyingly worse if S/X deliveries go down.

The risk is no longer a delayed 3 (or early 3 for that matter). The true risk is 3 comes out but scales up slowly.

<snip> The true risk is 3 comes out but scales up slowly.

Tesla will have quite the balancing act, I agree. The S is now their 'cash cow' and while I agree that the S and the '3' represent slightly different market segments, they are both sedans. The '3' will not 'Osbourne' the X but will affect the S, IMO.

So, to compensate for the low margin early '3s' they better ramp fast. *fingers crossed*

Reactions: Matias and TMSE
Albertine: Model S is 'the Apple iPhone' to every else's electric vehicle
Spiegel takedown - enjoy.

27x4cxc.gif

Just catching up on Thursday's posts on this thread now and I laughed out loud because here's what I wrote on the daily charts thread two hours later without ever seeing this posted video:

Albertine's "Tesla will be the iphone of electric vehicles" comment was the equivalent of a flying eagle leap off the ropes and onto the opponent.

I was, of course, referring to the Albertine/Spiegel bout. Clearly, there was something in Albertine's response to Spiegel that conjures up the image above.

Last edited:
SG&A combines both Tesla and Solarcity. In Q3 2016, Solarcity's SG&A amounted to $198.7 million. Tesla stated that the Solarcity portion was $85 million since the acquisition. So the rest of Tesla's Q4 SG&A was $371 million, which is only a $35 million increase, or about 11%.
But then we should also need to be mindful that for next ER (Q1 2016), SCTY is adding ~$150M to the SG&A and we will be looking at about ~$500M for the total. In return, solar and TE generated $3.5M gross profit. So the burden seems will be staying here for a few quarters.

I initially thought the extra SG&A was due to some one-time fees for the acquisitions. But when I re-read the letter I found no language about this. It looks more like recurring costs. Guess I need to wait for 10-Q to see if there's anything there.

Reactions: SBenson
Tesla management is smart in this regard and I expect some major upgrades in the Model S/X (HUD, new interior, new exterior, faster supercharging, etc) to try to fend off cannibalization. But regardless, it's definitely possible that Model 3 does eat into Model S sales some but the Model S is still a super compelling car (compared to the Model 3) with lots more cargo room and comfort. Even with Model 3, I expect Tesla to be able to sell 50k Model S (maybe 10k less than if there was no Model 3) and probably 50k Model X.

Model 3 is going to take a lot of money to get off the ground, and Tesla isn't necessarily swimming in cash at the moment. But, remember that Tesla can always raise money whenever they want (at least that's what they've been proven to be able to do in the past). And by raising new money, they can solve their pressing cash restriction challenges. Now, if Model 3 scales slowly (which I expect it to have some glitches), I don't think it's actually that big of deal. In the bigger picture, scaling slowly has it's advantages in the sense that they can better manage quality (vs scaling too quickly). Regarding cash flow, sure early Model 3s will be have negative margins but that's with any capital-intensive mass-produced product like the Model 3. Yes, we won't see great "profit" from Tesla's earnings reports this year. But I think that's besides the point because as an investor I'm not looking for Tesla to turn a profit this year... I'm looking for future earnings and for Tesla to make the right decisions today to ensure great returns for the future. Now, it's definitely a risk that cash runs low if Tesla doesn't raise money, but I think that's why Elon make it pretty clear that they're going to raise money.

The bigger risk with Model 3 ramp is that Tesla ramps too fast and produces a flawed product. Perhaps it's laden with quality issues or they have to do a massive and expensive recall of tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of vehicles. This can hurt their reputation and reduce Model 3 demand. And the even bigger risk is that the Model 3 isn't as good as we all think it's going to be. In that case, it's not going to be pretty.

But as long as the Model 3 is stellar and the quality is good, then we'll most likely see demand for Tesla products be through the roof... and that's the true foundation for enduring high-growth companies. The short-term cash challenges are much easier to solve (ie., through cap raises).

Incorrect. SCE was deployed with GF cells, that only began production on Jan 4th and poject was completed Feb 1st. Same with Kaua'i; used GF cells that started production in January.
IMO, this 98 MWh in Q4 is mostly battery packs sold for AMS projects.

PS: Entertaining Cramer video. Just give me the money!
Cramer: Tesla conference call was 'one for the books'

Funny rating was for the video! Thanks for posting! Cramer, if anything, is entertaining...

Reactions: mickificki
As a noob investor, I thought the ER/CC was pretty good:
  • TSLA seems to have swallowed SCTY whole without any of the doomsday scenarios or even the mildly pessimistic scenarios eventuating.
  • Model 3 is ahead of schedule at this point in time.
  • Model S/X demand is strong.
  • They didn't need a cap raise in Q4 and they can get by without a cap raise in Q1. However, stock price now is high enough for another cap raise.
What I didn't like:
  • Model 3 reveal getting delayed - But an investor, I can understand the reasoning behind this. Not as a potential owner !
  • Elon repeatedly educating Wall st CC after CC on what the S curve is about - Give it up already. They will never learn.
  • AP2 software getting delayed.

There's probably a few (smug) folks here that sold pre-ER on the 280's only to buy back in yesterday, nice if you did that.

I did not do that because for me it's a big, big gamble. The ER was very steady, a bit meh, perhaps, but nothing particularly bad. If anything, the M3 guidance was quite bullish, I thought. So one could have expected positive sentiment to come out of it and indeed we saw that in the AH - anyone who sold-out at that moment might have been feeling they'd done the wrong thing.

My point is that $TSLA is a stock that cannot be predicted on a daily basis. It doesn't seem to react to micro or macro news in a consistent manner, so for smaller investors like myself, day-trading is a pure gamble. That being said, there often seems to be a post-ER drop - I guess too many people have pie-in-the-sky expectations which will only be met if Elon pulls a unicorn from his anus.

Long term though I see no risks at all, other than a black-swan event. In fact the ER de-risked the long-term quite a lot by re-iterating the M3 timing. So despite the drop yesterday, I'm very happy to hold and will buy more - regardless of the SP - as soon as I get my tax refund in a few months.

I'd also add that those of you feeling bad about yesterday's drop should remember that just after the US election the SP was in the low 180's, so 255 at this moment seems pretty damn good to me...

The concerns over low margin early model 3 seem to revolve around the obsession with quarterly results. When we are up to 10,000 M3 a week in 2018 will this really matter?

Ford: 137,500/wk
BMW: 45,833/wk
Toyota: 204,166/wk
VW: 208,333/wk
Tesla: 1,666/wk

Your target: 10,000/wk... and you're concerned about margins?... why... Tesla's not an auto company. Since there's conveniently no comparisons to Tesla and never will be, margins don't matter one bit... quite frankly, neither do weekly sales or even revenues.

am I starting to catch on?

Ford: 137,500/wk
BMW: 45,833/wk
Toyota: 204,166/wk
VW: 208,333/wk
Tesla: 1,666/wk

Your target: 10,000/wk... and you're concerned about margins?... why... Tesla's not an auto company. Since there's conveniently no comparisons to Tesla and never will be, margins don't matter one bit... quite frankly, neither do weekly sales or even revenues.

am I starting to catch on?

Redo that with long range battery electric vehicles, or the number of vehicles they sell with SAE Level 3 type charging. Redo that with advanced ADAS vehicles. The most expensive parts of a long range battery electric vehicle are the battery, inverters, motors, and on-board chargers. Count those volumes.

Redo that with long range battery electric vehicles. Redo that with autonomous vehicles. The most expensive parts of a long range battery electric vehicle are the battery, inverters, motors, and on-board chargers. Count those volumes.
no... because TSLA just went up and high-fived F's market cap... so you don't just get to modify your data with rosy glasses.

Reactions: mmd
no... because TSLA just went up and high-fived F's market cap... so you don't just get to modify your data with rosy glasses.

Modify what data? What will Ford have on the market in terms of an semi-autonomous or fully autonomous battery electric vehicle in 2018/2019? 2020? What volumes can they produce? How much in stranded assets will they be dealing with in 2019/2020?

Plus, the market cap of TSLA is now Tesla Motors and Tesla Energy which includes both energy generation and stationary storage. So looking at TSLA as only a traditional automaker isn't right.

BTW... I have not seen a single article or posting about Tesla Energy. The claims I've heard from you guys for the last 9 months is "Tesla isn't just an auto company... man you just don't understand... TE is like another 200B in market cap... no brainer... gunna ramp up mad in 2017!... you just don't understand visionaries like we do."

so... where's the 2017 TE projections?... weren't we supposed to see a massive TE ramp this year?... not a word.

Since there's conveniently no comparisons to Tesla and never will be
Sure there are. Look at BYD or Geely. Tesla's pricier but also better positioned, and I think BYD and Geely have discounts to their price for being Chinese and for not being electric pure-plays.

BAIC is much cheaper but I think it has an additional discount for being majority-owned by the Chinese government.

There is an argument that you'd be better off investing in BYD, BAIC, or Geely than in TSLA. Legitimate thing to discuss.

But my point is that *all* of these have much higher P/E and P/B and P/S than companies which produce horse-drawn buggies ICE cars. Apparently a majority of investors can tell the difference between a growth industry and a shrinkage industry.

Put it another way, the electric car production of the companies you listed is roughly:
Ford: 0/week
BMW: 490/week
Toyota: 0/week
VW: 0/week
Tesla: 1666/week

The market is already starting to price in the death of gasmobiles. There should be opportunities in this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.