Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some stupid questions regarding Model3 production:

1). Tesla is guiding to spend over $2B CapEx this year. Model3 Release Candidates are already in production using mostly production equipment, so looks as if remaining CapEx spend is for scaling out equipment to enable car volume, right?

2). Is Tesla planning to produce M3 at Fremont on a SINGLE "final assembly line" or more than one?

Dreadnought 1.0. The current version is 0.5.

0.5 will be ramping up to 10k/week, while 1.0 is being designed/built.

It will be very interesting to see Supercharger network v2 upgrade with possibly higher charge rates and automated plugs. That's assuming the 90 kW, 120kW, and 135kW variants are v0.9, v1.0, and v1.1. Will Tesla start deploying that in numbers before CCS v2 with amperages > 200 amps? Will there be more V2 Supercharger plugs at the end of 2018 than CCS v2?

8797scaesare
Now that we agree, then it no longer supports your earlier assertion that:

Otherwise Tesla would have to drop their 100kWh offerings for the Model S, no?

No, that's not necessarily the case. Tesla can make any configuration they want. But for all packs that are common to both 3 and S/X, they can use common inner batteries, and outer shells to fit each platform.

This will be far more efficient than producing separate complete configurations for each platform. They will most likely go for the most efficient production possible.

The more I look at the improved energy density of the 2170, the more it looks likely that there indeed will be a 50% reduction in volume requirement, and make the 100 kWh an option for the 3. This is because the height of the 2170 adds about 9% extra total volume to the same footprint. Additionally, the trade-off of higher energy density of 2170 to former footprint area used in the S yields about a total 50% improvement in kWh per volume. The 3 is not really that much smaller than the S.

Ok, I'm convinced. Elon is wrong and you are right.

Elon isn't usually wrong about much. He does genuinely ask for constructive criticism, thereby inviting others to offer up possible improvements. But in this case, I think he was referring to the 18650, (in a coy way), as a means of deflecting present interest in the 100 kWh for the 3. He probably has plans for that option (or even better than 100), but for later. He doesn't usually offer up the best possible configurations on the first iteration. Smart marketing.

If you can provide ANY shred of evidence Tesla had ever suggested anything other 2170's for the Model 3 packs then I'll be... uh.. even more convinced Elon doesn't know what he's talking about and you have it all figured out....

Why the attitude? No one is saying Elon doesn't know what he is talking about. Aren't you interested in reasonable discussion? The Model 3 will be a great car as it first appears. Tesla (and Elon) will not leave it as it is first presented. Did they do that for the S? There is nothing wrong with looking ahead.

• Disagree
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
This is just getting silly now:

Tesla Motors (TSLA) PT Raised to $187 at Goldman Sachs; Maintains 'Sell'

Honestly. What kind of world view does that represent if an analyst believes he can build a model that's so precise, that he needs to adjust it with 2 to 5$ when he gets new information.

If I was the boss of this guy I would be tempted to fire him just for the fact the adjusts a price target by 1.06% on a stock that is CLEARLY one of the hardest to accurately price in the entire market.

Do not forget that his average performance is around -40%, i.e. if you listen to his advice you lose nearly half your money each year. On the other hand, if you use him as a negative indicator doing exactly the opposite of what he suggest, you can make some good money... ;)

ps: I wonder if there is any other job where you can survive with such horrible performance metric and not get fired

"Journalism." So much of what is written (and not written) by "analysts" and "journalists" is not what they think, but what the big money behind their job pays them to try to lead their readers into thinking.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ
It will be very interesting to see Supercharger network v2 upgrade with possibly higher charge rates and automated plugs. That's assuming the 90 kW, 120kW, and 135kW variants are v0.9, v1.0, and v1.1. Will Tesla start deploying that in numbers before CCS v2 with amperages > 200 amps? Will there be more V2 Supercharger plugs at the end of 2018 than CCS v2?

just semantics, but I'm pretty sure amid the tweets referring to the other automakers going for 350 kW charging in a few years, Elon said all the pieces are in place for v3 (and elsewhere, I believe current Superchargers have been referred to as v2).

• Helpful
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Status
Not open for further replies.