Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The debt ceiling isn't a problem. It was only a problem in last years because Republican lawmakers could use it to hold the country hostage to get some crazy concession from the white house. They hold it now so there is no reason to not just increase it. Dems will probably not do the same hostage taking, so it is a non issue.

Agreed. Now that Republicans control everything you won't hear anything about the debt ceiling or Govt shutdown until the next time a dem is Pres

... and trunk stuffed with 16 computers consuming 1.5kW, i.e. 6 times more than an EV carrying all this stuff requires for the propulsion...

Quibble here. 1.5 kW is high, but not that high. Simple math says a model S consumes 20 kW in highway driving. Think of the car doing 300 miles in 4 hours using 80 kWh of usable energy.

Quibble here. 1.5 kW is high, but not that high. Simple math says a model S consumes 20 kW in highway driving. Think of the car doing 300 miles in 4 hours using 80 kWh of usable energy.

What I liked was the style of the British host plus the matter of fact approach of the Japanese "minder," mixed with chuckles of pride. Their marveling was similar to ours about the recent Space X spectacular. This old geezer almost had tears in his eyes about that feat too and I'm old enough to remember the series of rocket launcher failures here as we competed with the Russians for who had the best leftover scientists from the Nazi era.

There is a lot that is great about our country and we shall see whether the moral strength of the people will prevail over our "time of troubles," to borrow a phrase from Russian history.

Last edited:
... and trunk stuffed with 16 computers consuming 1.5kW, i.e. 6 times more than an EV carrying all this stuff requires for the propulsion...
So this is about a 15% reduction in range, which gets worse in slower traffic. So the is a big need to optimize sensor chips for power consumption. I suspect the more sensors you have the more processing power is needed to integrate them. So reducing the size of the sensors suite could have more than a linear impact on power consumption. Big need to find a minimal configuration sufficient for safety.

So this is about a 15% reduction in range, which gets worse in slower traffic. So the is a big need to optimize sensor chips for power consumption. I suspect the more sensors you have the more processing power is needed to integrate them. So reducing the size of the sensors suite could have more than a linear impact on power consumption. Big need to find a minimal configuration sufficient for safety.

I think the thing I like to celebrate here, is the fact that it can be done. We're (they're) getting there. Progress is being made. It's not in the realm of the impossible anymore. Think of what it takes now to reach this level of autonomy as the equivalent of the 1992 brick mobile phone that people were proudly carrying around. Given time, the magic will be finessed, and the bulky equipment will be made microscopic. Our cars will be our robots, and will take us to where we want to go, while we relax, and make better use of our travel time. It's happening, and this is why Robert Llewellyn has such a big smile on his face.

That would be true if traveling at highway speeds. But for city driving 20 mph average, it's more like 9 kW for propulsion. Moreover, it is in the more complex city street driving that you need an abundance of sensors. Add to this AC/heating, and city driving becomes pretty inefficient compared to highway.

As a use case, this would impact robotaxis which would do most driving on surface streets.

Reactions: generalenthu
Faraday Future uses a Tesla Model X to test its self-driving prototype

Such an unmitigated disaster for Tesla to produce the un-produceable X;
It nearly killed them,
and Now the weapon of choice for the Tesla Killers
Oh the agony of it all-
Tesla kills itself only to produce it's Slayer's own sword
whoa is me

The Tesla Model skull-cross-bones-evil.jpg

I think the thing I like to celebrate here, is the fact that it can be done. We're (they're) getting there. Progress is being made. It's not in the realm of the impossible anymore. Think of what it takes now to reach this level of autonomy as the equivalent of the 1992 brick mobile phone that people were proudly carrying around. Given time, the magic will be finessed, and the bulky equipment will be made microscopic. Our cars will be our robots, and will take us to where we want to go, while we relax, and make better use of our travel time. It's happening.
Absolutely. I'm very excited about the development. I'm just trying to think through where the challenges are as systems get perfected. So we know that you can throw a lot of sensors and processors at this problem and get stable, confident driving. The more clearly the vehicle perceives everything on the road, the more stable its response can be. For example, Tesla's AP can exhort some really jittery driving because it is constantly changing its view of where the road is. It's perception is weak and unstable, so it makes unnecessary course corrections based on a faulty apprehension of where the car is in reference to the lane. So this problem can be solved by throwing more sensor hardware at it, but that has multiple costs associated with it. So the next iteration is to minimize those costs without compromising perceptual stability. No doubt this optimization problem can and will be solved. The companies that move quickly to a balanced and optimized system will be most competitive.

Autonomy on a specific route in good weather is not that hard if you have ~$70k suite of hardware with ugly protruding sensors.

It would be disappointing if this was just on one specific road that they prepped for. All the other mentioned issues will take care of themselves when they get to consumer scale according to the same first principles that Elon also applies with great success to battery manufacturing.

I bought Nissan when they came out with the LEAF, thinking they would quickly add other, better models. Should have put that money in TSLA instead. Actually should have put all my money in TSLA :D
I agree! Isn't hindsight wonderful!

We're on our second Leaf but woke up to order a 60S in June (July 25 delivery) and beginning investment in November at $190.

Really disappointed in Nissan's commitment and will replace the Leaf with a 3.

Go LONG on Tesla!

It would be disappointing if this was just on one specific road that they prepped for. All the other mentioned issues will take care of themselves when they get to consumer scale according to the same first principles that Elon also applies with great success to battery manufacturing.
One clue that it was a specific route is that the "driver" noted that they had only logged 1000 miles on the platform and yet the car was extremely well behaved. Like the promotional videos Tesla did when the AP2 hardware was announced.

Reactions: RobStark
Status
Not open for further replies.