Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He even composed a song about the alleged solar scam in the video, and performed this in his local Aussie boozer. That self embarrassing video has, sadly, been removed
Below is a capture from that music video. He did not compose it, but changed a few words in "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" and mangled some rhymes doing so.

"KEEF," an interpretation by Google Deep Dream:
*image removed due to visibility into a very disturbing soul*

Attachments

• IMG_4733.JPG
    IMG_4733.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Solar roof: A very expensive product, which many rich people will want to buy, and only one company offers. Tesla can name their margin on something that's probably going to cost around $50,000. Plus the battery they'll sell with it and (being rich people), probably a car. Why aren't the analysts understanding and valuing this.
And with trump cutting rich people's taxes, it'll only help tesla

I don't think it's *news* that Trump's a liar. He was actively contradicting himself from one day to the next, specifically saying what each audience wanted to hear. Even most of the Trump supporters I've communicated with admitted openly that he was lying -- when he said A to the first audience and Not A to the second audience, they assumed the one they wanted to believe was the true statement and the other one was the lie. :eyeroll: So the good news is that he's a sane liar instead of a delusional liar, I guess?

At least Hillary is truthful.

Speaking of solar roof, mine may be a good case to look at. In the spring of 2016, we replaced the roof and immediately followed with a 10kW PV system. The house is 2250 square feet with an oversize garage and large front and rear porches, so for simplicity let's say 3500 sq. ft. total. The roof replacement with mid-grade asphalt shingles was $17,000. The 10kW solar system with oversized (12 kW) inverters was $25,000. So I'm looking at $42K total, and the 30% tax credit will get me back $7500. If the solar roof was $50,000 and the tax credit applied to that whole amount, then the cost would be the same. For me, that makes the solar roof a no brainer.

I believe Musk said that it would be less expensive than installing a new roof along with a comparable PV system. I don't think the PV is "free".

As this is an investor thread I do not want to spend too much space debating. Musk did not say that the solar was free, but said the equivalent of if you called a local roofer and priced roofing with the roofing material without any solar, it would cost the same as having the solar tiles that imitated that roofing material installed. He also said the solar tiles would be more durable and insulate better than the conventional roofing material. Bottom line, better roof with solar vs. conventional roof without solar = same price.

For the Solar roof, a lot of the cost reduction potential is that you're using glass tiles produced domestically, rather than tile from a quarry in Australia that's been cut in China. (Or something similar.)

High end roofing materials are costly, which leaves the market wide open for a roofing product that is locally produced and has qualities you don't find in a natural product, like being able to produce electricity. I'd view this disruption as a preview of how numerous industries will be disrupted by 3D-printing in 10-25 years.

Last edited:
Tesla is obviously winning since every car/self-driving article has its name in the title, usually about whether it is worried about the latest vapourware. I don't think the term "Tesla killer" appears so often, though.
I can't be the only one irked by Faraday's claim that the FF91 is the fastest production EV.

I literally shouted at my computer watching the webcast - "you can't claim that before its actually in production!"

We seem to wandering around the fundamental issues:
1. Can Tesla meet expectations for series production of Model 3 in 3rd Quarter 2017?
2. Can Tesla continue to increase sales of Model X and Mode S while that is happening?
3. Can Tesla deliver some solar roofs in 2017 and build a backlog of orders?
4. Can Tesla sell and deliver enough solar+storage to utilities, especially islands, to prove that Solar City was a good deal?
5. Can Tesla be GAAP profitable in the last two quarters and for the full year?

If those happen the optimists will carry the day. If not, probably not.

I hasten to add that they need a US Supreme Court decision allowing them unfettered nationwide US operation. Only Texas might even be enough to change the overall story.

I found an article on the cost of the solar roof tile installation:
Tesla’s solar roof to cost less than a regular roof – even before energy production, says Elon Musk

I love the quote from Musk in the article:
“It’s looking quite promising that a solar roof actually cost less than normal roof before you even take the value of electricity into account. So the basic proposition would be ‘Would you like a roof that looks better than a normal roof, last twice as long, cost less and by the way generates electricity’ why would you get anything else.”

We seem to wandering around the fundamental issues:
1. Can Tesla meet expectations for series production of Model 3 in 3rd Quarter 2017?
2. Can Tesla continue to increase sales of Model X and Mode S while that is happening?
3. Can Tesla deliver some solar roofs in 2017 and build a backlog of orders?
4. Can Tesla sell and deliver enough solar+storage to utilities, especially islands, to prove that Solar City was a good deal?
5. Can Tesla be GAAP profitable in the last two quarters and for the full year?

If those happen the optimists will carry the day. If not, probably not.

I hasten to add that they need a US Supreme Court decision allowing them unfettered nationwide US operation. Only Texas might even be enough to change the overall story.

1) I believe the market has priced in that Tesla makes 0 Model 3 deliveries in Q3, 2017. Some have expectations that there are 0 in Q4, 2017 too, although I think TSLA will take some hit for that.
2) Model S and X sales appear to be robust right now, partially because nearly everyone expects the Model 3 to be late, and some people need cars now
3) Tesla solar roof project is not priced in for 2017 at all nor has any of the standard module production for 2017.
4) If SolarCity just holds its own... reduce the sales expense dramatically, and whatever additional debt is non-recourse, that's enough for a win from a TSLA perspective. If it makes some additional money, bonus!
5) Tesla doesn't need to be GAAP profitable at all this year. Matter of fact, that might be considered a negative. We'd have to see the story as to why they would be. In other words, if the Model 3 is on time (Q4 shipping) and they are GAAP positive, then great. Model 3 shipping is more important than GAAP positive. Cash flow from operating activities being positive is more than good enough, as they have been for two quarters. We'll see if the shortfall in deliveries and the stitching together to form the combined company is cash flow positive from operating activities in Q4'16... it's a bit hazy right now.

Last edited:
Speaking of solar roof, mine may be a good case to look at. In the spring of 2016, we replaced the roof and immediately followed with a 10kW PV system. The house is 2250 square feet with an oversize garage and large front and rear porches, so for simplicity let's say 3500 sq. ft. total. The roof replacement with mid-grade asphalt shingles was $17,000. The 10kW solar system with oversized (12 kW) inverters was $25,000. So I'm looking at $42K total, and the 30% tax credit will get me back $7500. If the solar roof was $50,000 and the tax credit applied to that whole amount, then the cost would be the same. For me, that makes the solar roof a no brainer.

Why would you want the ITC 30% to apply to the whole roof? They have to figure out how to factor in the dual-use factors involved in both "Roof and Solar PV". I would say that if a 10kw Solar PV system at $20k is worth 6K in ITC money. But is the same or less output from the same size roof (and you're going to want it on all angles of the roof, not just the sun-facing side) worth having the Federal ITC pay out upwards of possibly $20k instead of $6K? Many people - even Solar-advocates - may be voting against the ITC payout in that case. I know my neighbor just go solar on his E and W facing roofs as well as garage. Horrible shading problems but Solar city didn't have any issues putting it up because they can sell the "nameplate capacity" of the bad angles in the SolarBond market as if it were perfect sun, facing South, no shading.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
1. Can Tesla meet expectations ...
5. Can Tesla be GAAP profitable in the last two quarters and for the full year
Basically yes. It depends on whose expectations you are talking about. Yes for market, mostly yes for fans. I do not think they need to hit everything to have a good year in terms of SP ... and unless there is disaster, likely doesn't matter too much in the long run (ie for longs).

Status
Not open for further replies.