Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would eliminate having to check two threads (+).

But who's going to do the copying?! (-)

Agree. And maybe only a mod (and a few of the more senior posters) could be allowed to post to that other thread. It would act as a summary of relevant news items/tweets/articles that may affect stock price.

I would suggest that you post a link in BOTH threads. The mods have enough to do.
Put a short synopsis of what the salient point is along with the link.
You can quickly scan the other thread but if you have a question or comment they are done here

I would suggest that you post a link in BOTH threads. The mods have enough to do.
Put a short synopsis of what the salient point is along with the link.
You can quickly scan the other thread but if you have a question or comment they are done here
Do you really think that everyone will do that?

Do you want to spend the time doing that yourself? If so why? I don't want to will not bother doing that unless there's clearly a significant benefit to me or the community.

Do you really think that everyone will do that?

Do you want to spend the time doing that yourself? If so why? I don't want to will not bother doing that unless there's clearly a significant benefit to me or the community.

Yes, I did do that with the Brit extension this AM. No, I doubt everyone would do it.

However, they should. If you post a link in one thread you should do it in the other. This thread accumulates all discussion about the link, the other thread stays 'clean' so that you could go there just to catch up on 'new' info of the day. If something intrigues you then you come back here for questions/discussions.

in theory, it would work great. But I agree that I may be exhibiting EM hubris about how it will work in the real world.:eek:

• Love
Reactions: MitchJi
So do we think there is any risk to SP from the SUA lawsuit from the guy who parked his MX in his living room?

I mean, a rational person understands that pedal misapplication is almost assuredly the cause, but since when was the market rational?

Yes, Teslas are statistically way above average on SUA accidents - but there's a simple explanation (and an admittedly small sample size).

Teslas (in all flavours) are among the fastest accelerating vehicles ever produced. The other cars that accelerate this quickly are significantly more rare, and usually owned by car enthusiasts, and as such, will be involved in this type of accident much less often due to a combination of rarity and driver skill. Additionally, being a car that accelerates very quickly (and with INSTANT torque off the line, in a way that no gas-engined car could ever hope to), leaves far less time for a driver to realize his pedal misapplication error and correct it before disaster strikes.

Pedal misapplications happen all the time, but gas-engined cars are much more forgiving because of the delay in torque as the engine winds up, giving most drivers enough time to correct their mistake and avoid the accident, and so nobody ever hears about those.

So do we think there is any risk to SP from the SUA lawsuit from the guy who parked his MX in his living room?

I mean, a rational person understands that pedal misapplication is almost assuredly the cause, but since when was the market rational?

Yes, Teslas are statistically way above average on SUA accidents - but there's a simple explanation (and an admittedly small sample size).

Teslas (in all flavours) are among the fastest accelerating vehicles ever produced. The other cars that accelerate this quickly are significantly more rare, and usually owned by car enthusiasts, and as such, will be involved in this type of accident much less often due to a combination of rarity and driver skill. Additionally, being a car that accelerates very quickly (and with INSTANT torque off the line, in a way that no gas-engined car could ever hope to), leaves far less time for a driver to realize his pedal misapplication error and correct it before disaster strikes.

Pedal misapplications happen all the time, but gas-engined cars are much more forgiving because of the delay in torque as the engine winds up, giving most drivers enough time to correct their mistake and avoid the accident, and so nobody ever hears about those.

This is a BS lawsuit and I assume the market will see that.

Also, self-reporting numbers like these are inherently unreliable so I would take the "data" with a large chunk of salt.

Not sure if this forum supports a feature like this, but here is an idea about the two threads. Just post everything in this thread. If there is a newsworthy link or a post that gives useful new information, members can upvote it. (maybe use the 'informative' rating). Then posts with greater than X informative points automatically get curated to a separate 'summary' thread.

One downside I can think of is that the summary thread will be hard to read, as informative posts may be replies to other discussions or have other context that is missing if one reads only the summary thread.

Off topic: Blue is really hard to read on the dark theme. Please keep this in mind when using custom colors. Thanks.

Is green easier for you to read?

The reason I started using colors for quotes is because either the forum makes it difficult to, or I don't understand how to quote a post and include the quotes.

Any information or feedback is welcome.

It seems like it should be relatively easy for ultrasonics to detect any obvious obstructions, like a wall, directly in front of the car within 8 meters. If the car is stopped or moving very slowly, then the car should not let the driver accelerate fast enough to cause a collision. Offer some sort of override to work around false positives (remove foot from accelerator and tap brake maybe?). Seems like a pretty simple win for AP, and can instantly protect 80%+ of the current Tesla fleet.

• Disagree
Reactions: JRP3 and BornToFly
It seems like it should be relatively easy for ultrasonics to detect any obvious obstructions, like a wall, directly in front of the car within 8 meters. If the car is stopped or moving very slowly, then the car should not let the driver accelerate fast enough to cause a collision. Offer some sort of override to work around false positives (remove foot from accelerator and tap brake maybe?). Seems like a pretty simple win for AP, and can instantly protect 80%+ of the current Tesla fleet.
Good idea!

Tweet it to Sterling Anderson.

Reactions: T3slaTulips
Not sure if this forum supports a feature like this, but here is an idea about the two threads. Just post everything in this thread. If there is a newsworthy link or a post that gives useful new information, members can upvote it. (maybe use the 'informative' rating). Then posts with greater than X informative points automatically get curated to a separate 'summary' thread.

One downside I can think of is that the summary thread will be hard to read, as informative posts may be replies to other discussions or have other context that is missing if one reads only the summary thread.

re having just one thread,

it would be nice if there was the ability to add a voting option of "News" to the "helpful", "informative", "like",... options we have for each post.

alternatively, perhaps among ourselves we can create a convention of putting a header like,

****NEWS****

to posts that contain new material information.

it might seem implausible to have the convention adopted at a very high rate, but, if someone posts something worthy of such a header without the header, amongst us, we could shoot them a friendly private message to edit their post and add the header. what of the possible overuse of such a header? if you see the header and almost no "upvotes" (informative, helpful, etc,) that would be a pretty decent gauge that the header doesn't really apply and you might want to skim past the post.

The reason I started using colors for quotes is because either the forum makes it difficult to, or I don't understand how to quote a post and include the quotes.

Any information or feedback is welcome.

I find green harder to read. I've skipped reading many previous posts with green text because it wasn't worth it to try to read it.

If you want to quote something, the existing quote block works OK for me:
the internet said:
blah blah etc...

Left square bracket followed by QUOTE="the internet" (or whatever the source is) followed by right square bracket
Then whatever you're quoting
Then left square bracket followed by /QUOTE followed by right square bracket

This happened to me once many years ago, after a long flight I was driving home and pulling into the driveway and my jet lagged brain momentarily mixed up which pedal my foot was on and i accelerated into the side of garage. Thankfully, at the time i was driving a camry and with the lag in acceleration I was able to slam on break and only slightly bump the wall of the garage. No real damage, had i been driving a S/X with that instant torque, would have been ugly.

I find green harder to read. I've skipped reading many previous posts with green text because it wasn't worth it to try to read it.

If you want to quote something, the existing quote block works OK for me:

Left square bracket followed by QUOTE="the internet" (or whatever the source is) followed by right square bracket
Then whatever you're quoting
Then left square bracket followed by /QUOTE followed by right square bracket

the internet said:

Thanks!:)

Reactions: MP3Mike

You are on a highway in a lane of traffic that is going very slowly/stopped. You want to floor at as you turn into the next lane to quickly get up to speed so you don't get rear ended by the fast moving cars in the new lane. That will be a deadly scenario if the car won't let you accelerate because it sees the car in front of you as an obstruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.