Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He thinks it's a "...a temporary $1k refundable hold on their credit card..."

Last I checked, it was $1,000 which was shortly thereafter debited from my bank account. But if it fits the narrative/thesis I see no reason to let facts get in the way of a good story...
That being said calling it a 'refundable hold' would imply that Tesla has stellar financials because one can be assured in a bankruptcy all other bondholders will be paid back before deposit holders see a penny.

Reactions: neroden
He thinks it's a "...a temporary $1k refundable hold on their credit card..."

For realz? I missed that part.

Last I checked, it was $1,000 which was shortly thereafter debited from my bank account. But if it fits the narrative/thesis I see no reason to let facts get in the way of a good story...

They certainly took $1k off my credit card. Haven't seen it since.

Reactions: 3Victoria
I guess you're also not a fan of looking at evidence. Like the dozens and dozens and dozens of line ups that happened at Tesla stores all over the world that the media reported on of people putting down their $1k deposits. Because, you know, people that camp out over night/stand in line for hours aren't serious about what they're waiting in line to do - handing over $1k of their hard earned money for a car they've never seen. :rolleyes:

Edit: I see GBleck already addressed this.
Of course we weren't serious.o_O We were being paid. remember those posters? :)

I apologize, but I really cannot take the naysayers seriously about Model 3 demand. We have massive evidence to support production-constrained Tesla motor vehicle sales for at least until sometime during 2019. If we are to have serious risk evaluation it should be now about production issues and a small bit of question about pricing and costs. The real risks are all in production. I admit I think those are being qwell addressed.

Still, there are execution risks. This thread should concentrate on those risks rather than invent shorting logic based on silly demand assumptions. The chief reason such issues arise by ignorant analysts is that they simply do not go to the trouble to understand either the BEV markets nor the utility-level energy storage markets. Thus they ignore stationary storage and grossly over estimate the threat of new entrants, including non-competitors.

Still, there are execution risks. This thread should concentrate on those risks rather than invent shorting logic based on silly demand assumptions. The chief reason such issues arise by ignorant analysts is that they simply do not go to the trouble to understand either the BEV markets nor the utility-level energy storage markets. Thus they ignore stationary storage and grossly over estimate the threat of new entrants, including non-competitors.[/QUOTE]

Execution risks are relative to timeliness, not inevibility. Model 3 is coming. It might be a little less early than currently projected, but it will get here. Volume production has been moved up, not back. Model 3 will be a BMW 3 series killer with the cost of operation and ownership less that a Toyota Corolla. It is all about the 3.

Given that Tesla is planning to start mass production in early Q3 (where there'll be a delivery event), Tesla will need to launch the online configuration page at the latest towards the end of Q2. The online configurator won't have many secrets, so the natural thing is to have a reveal event before the online configurator is available. So, my timeline would be:

~March (most likely March 1-15th): Reveal event
~June: Online configurator
~July: First deliveries event

I think one of the main reasons for taking employee reservations first was to avoid this scenario. Tesla wants to keep the specs close to their chest as long as they can. I expect they will open up the configurator only to a few thousand internal employees around July, and then to the general public at the same time was the first deliveries event (Aug-Sept).

Reactions: BornToFly
I think one of the main reasons for taking employee reservations first was to avoid this scenario. Tesla wants to keep the specs close to their chest as long as they can. I expect they will open up the configurator only to a few thousand internal employees around July, and then to the general public at the same time was the first deliveries event (Aug-Sept).
They can't avoid leaks when you're talking about thousands of people. Better to do the reveal in a way they can control.

It would be nice if we could stop spending pages replying to ghosts.

Hint: Said ghosts are nervous because their shorts are underwater. These people clog the board when the SP is headed south (we were right!) or headed north (time to spread lies!). It is not worth our time to explain to people that the M3 is not a mirage and that money was exchanged for reservations.

It would be nice if we could stop spending pages replying to ghosts.

Hint: Said ghosts are nervous because their shorts are underwater. These people clog the board when the SP is headed south (we were right!) or headed north (time to spread lies!). It is not worth our time to explain to people that the M3 is not a mirage and that money was exchanged for reservations.
I dunno.

In some ways I agree that its just noise.

In other ways, as we continue to chop the legs out from their arguments, they do raise other arguments that ultimately give us a clearer picture. I don't think their contributions are completely valueless. Aggravating, sure. Obtuse, absolutely. But I do think its important to analyze dissenting views as well as the positive ones.

TSLA is where it was almost two years ago. So for two years we have been in a trading range. Personally I think the stock is a buy when it dips under $200 and is fully valued around $235. At $235, a tremendous amount of growth is built into the price. Ford makes most of their profits on their F150 pickup business, everything else they do is low to no profit activity. Don't make the mistake of mixing up activity with profits. TSLA's current market cap is based on a lot of future profits. The Model S and X are in the higher margin end of the car business. For Tesla to make a good margin on the Model 3 my guess is the selling price is going to be much higher than $35,000 before any tax credits. That is going to disappoint a lot of potential customers. But it will be ok for TSLA. There will still be plenty of demand. Another big challenge Tesla has now is the strong dollar, it is going to start impacting profits. Until Tesla has foreign plants, that is going to take years, or the dollar weakens, Tesla is going to have to rely more and more on growing US sales for its profits. Unfortunately for TSLA, I think the Solar City business will always be a low margin business. I'm a huge fan of Elon and his entriprises. I have 2 Model 3s on order. But for the second time in three years I've sold all of my TSLA, market cap does matter. This is my 2 cents. Go Tesla!

• Helpful
Reactions: replicant and mmd
I dunno.

In other ways, as we continue to chop the legs out from their arguments, they do raise other arguments that ultimately give us a clearer picture. I don't think their contributions are completely valueless. Aggravating, sure. Obtuse, absolutely. But I do think its important to analyze dissenting views as well as the positive ones.
In my opinion, many if not most of them are void of value. Sure, some may contain a grain of food for thought, but overall the signal-to-noise is eminently squelchable. Then again, I stopped reading a few quite some time ago and may have missed a gem or two. I bear that burden. To each their own.

TSLA is where it was almost two years ago. So for two years we have been in a trading range. Personally I think the stock is a buy when it dips under $200 and is fully valued around $235. At $235, a tremendous amount of growth is built into the price. Ford makes most of their profits on their F150 pickup business, everything else they do is low to no profit activity. Don't make the mistake of mixing up activity with profits. TSLA's current market cap is based on a lot of future profits. The Model S and X are in the higher margin end of the car business. For Tesla to make a good margin on the Model 3 my guess is the selling price is going to be much higher than $35,000 before any tax credits. That is going to disappoint a lot of potential customers. But it will be ok for TSLA. There will still be plenty of demand. Another big challenge Tesla has now is the strong dollar, it is going to start impacting profits. Until Tesla has foreign plants, that is going to take years, or the dollar weakens, Tesla is going to have to rely more and more on growing US sales for its profits. Unfortunately for TSLA, I think the Solar City business will always be a low margin business. I'm a huge fan of Elon and his entriprises. I have 2 Model 3s on order. But for the second time in three years I've sold all of my TSLA, market cap does matter. This is my 2 cents. Go Tesla!

I agree the average selling price will be above $35k. Musk believes it will be around $42k. But I have no doubt the base price will be $35k, as they have announced. Musk knows Tesla would get reamed if they don't follow through on that price. I think they have learned enough from the development and production of the S and X that a $35K base price is realistically profitable.

I dunno.

(@racer26 this isn't directed at you). I am tired of this defense of the Bear trolls. This is like asking a Clinton voter to read Brietbart every day just in case they come up with some legitimate concern in HRC as a candidate. If something truthful comes up, the regular media would cover it (this is amply proven-- they were oh so eager to report every email dump). In this analogy, if there were some new concern the regular posters would cover it, no need to keep resident crazies around to shout about it. They have no credibility anyway.

An additional plus for delivering to employees first is that QC issues (if any) can be reported by employees and quickly fixed, before full scale production begins.

I think they were just using Tesla's name to boost their stock. Nowhere do they specifically mention an agreement with Tesla. I have my doubts about them being a part of the Gigafactory lithium supply.
Up 80% today. I figured the algobots would eat this up. Bought some at 0.27 cents and sold at 0.35 cents (yes cents). At one point I owned 2% of the company!

I dunno.

In my opinion, many if not most of them are void of value. Sure, some may contain a grain of food for thought, but overall the signal-to-noise is eminently squelchable. Then again, I stopped reading a few quite some time ago and may have missed a gem or two. I bear that burden. To each their own.

(@racer26 this isn't directed at you). I am tired of this defense of the Bear trolls. This is like asking a Clinton voter to read Brietbart every day just in case they come up with some legitimate concern in HRC as a candidate. If something truthful comes up, the regular media would cover it (this is amply proven-- they were oh so eager to report every email dump). In this analogy, if there were some new concern the regular posters would cover it, no need to keep resident crazies around to shout about it. They have no credibility anyway.

Lessmog and Austin are correct, these are the same old worthless arguments we've heard for years, it's boring and distracting. The rare crumb of value is in no way worth the turd sandwiches they keep serving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.