Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MODERATOR NOTE:
I have given significant leeway on this board for members to discuss Mr Musk's current Washington, D.C. situation.

Probably too much, but never matter. Henceforth, however, please take your discussion of same either to the "Elon Musk" thread or elsewhere on the (more or less) relevant threads.

What's already posted here will stay up; do NOT EXPECT further such discussion either to remain or carefully to be ported elsewhere. Such posts simply will be deleted.

Lord Vetinari

They didn't dismantle the first line then? Or was that never the plan? Tesla likes to make step changes in production rates every few quarters so we may be due for one since we were basically already working 2 quarters at annualized 100k rate.

The last I heard (1-2 month ago?) they did not and were still operating old line producing MS, new line - MX. The original plan was to use line 1 area for M3, but given that M3 production area was already laid-out per the Q3 letter, while BIW line #1 was operating a while after Q3 letter was published. So my conclusion is that they are keeping two BIW lines and bringing final assembly area up to the production capcity of BIW line#1 + line #2

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MitchJi and EinSV
MODERATOR NOTE:
I have given significant leeway on this board for members to discuss Mr Musk's current Washington, D.C. situation.

Probably too much, but never matter. Henceforth, however, please take your discussion of same either to the "Elon Musk" thread or elsewhere on the (more or less) relevant threads.

What's already posted here will stay up; do NOT EXPECT further such discussion either to remain or carefully to be ported elsewhere. Such posts simply will be deleted.

Lord Vetinari

Yea, I am getting tired of these discussions of Washington DC situation.

Him mentioning a girlfriend during the hyperloop competition opening remarks on other hand...

Just got a call from a guy at "SolarCity, now Tesla", asking to confirm my Powerwall 2 reservation by putting a deposit down as they're going to start installs soon. Also asked if I was still interested in a solar roof, but admitted he didn't have a better date than "Summer", and agreed 2018 was more likely for my area since they don't have an installer here yet. (for roofs; he assured me that's not an issue for Powerwalls)
Had him put me down to get more info when it comes out, but after I said I was an investor when asked if I saw Elon's presentation, he flat out said "Well, then you've got the same information as us!"

Since we're building a new house within a few years, I asked if a solar roof could be installed in place of a metal roof on a pole shed instead... Nope as expected, just residential. :rolleyes:

Also asked if it was possible to buy a Powerwall separately w/o install (I want some 2170's for a project...) - he confirmed with his manager that's also a no, at least for now. :(

Him mentioning a girlfriend during the hyperloop competition opening remarks on other hand...

ivanka61.jpg

:confused: :eek:

I got a similar call. My contact thought the Solar Roof would be out midyear in my area (though I'm going to bank on 2018 :-( )

Since we're building a new house within a few years, I asked if a solar roof could be installed in place of a metal roof on a pole shed instead... Nope as expected, just residential. :rolleyes:
That's super vague. The real question is what the roof requirements are, and I'm very frustrated that they haven't been released yet. My HOUSE is a pole barn.

Also asked if it was possible to buy a Powerwall separately w/o install (I want some 2170's for a project...) - he confirmed with his manager that's also a no, at least for now. :(
My contact said "later this year" for standalone Powerwalls with install. Powerwall + conventional solar will be first in the queue.

Not a mystery. Just add a layer of plywood.

If you can get by with car cells (not as good for daily full cycles) you will get a much better price on 2170's by waiting for used wrecking yard M3 car packs than by buying a new powerpack.

The last I heard (1-2 month ago?) they did not and were still operating old line producing MS, new line - MX. The original plan was to use line 1 area for M3, but given that M3 production area was already laid-out per the Q3 letter, while BIW line #1 was operating a while after Q3 letter was published. So my conclusion is that they are keeping two BIW lines and bringing final assembly area up to the production capcity of BIW line#1 + line #2

So if I understand you correctly, the original plan was to use the space of line 1 to install a model 3 line. But instead they keep line 1 and line 2 and are building elsewhere the model 3 line?

That's super vague. The real question is what the roof requirements are, and I'm very frustrated that they haven't been released yet. My HOUSE is a pole barn.

Agreed. Guy I talked to said they're focusing on residential for now, and while that could change in the future, he said that's all they've been told so far. What probably threw him off was I mentioned it was a 50x60 workshop, then said pole shed after he didn't quite follow on the first...

Can't imagine how it wouldn't work on a pole barn - even though my trusses are spaced 8' OC, the purlins have similar spacing to normal house trusses, and I had mine built for 50psf snow load specifically for adding panels later. I'm definitely interested in the actual requirements because we're considering a pole barn like structure for the new house too, simply because of how easy it is to make a large clear spanning open floor plan with it.

Also, did your call come from a Nevada number? I thought SolarCity pulled out of Nevada...?

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Yes, this is what appears to be happening based on the information we have.

Can I ask what new information we have? I asked on a tour and (grain of salt time, tour guide) she insisted that the M3 was going to be done with the unused warehouse space along the front, NOT the BIW #1 space. I personally speculate that they might move the S production to BIW #2, leaving the BIW#1 line as a prototyping line, so sort of the M3 line but with lousy throughput. But I think that is only speculation. What information do you have?

Reactions: everman
Can I ask what new information we have? I asked on a tour and (grain of salt time, tour guide) she insisted that the M3 was going to be done with the unused warehouse space along the front, NOT the BIW #1 space. I personally speculate that they might move the S production to BIW #2, leaving the BIW#1 line as a prototyping line, so sort of the M3 line but with lousy throughput. But I think that is only speculation. What information do you have?

At some point after Q3 call there were reports from the tours indicating that MS was not blended into the BIW line #2 (newer line) and still being produced on BIW Line #1. There was also an article with pictures that showed MS being produced on BIW line #1. This is the basis of me concluding that they decided to keep two BIW lines. This also consistent with the Q3 letter wording about expanding existing production at Fremont. Also, as I mentioned they are at or very close to the maximum throughput of the final assembly. Q3 3 letter was very enthusiastic about growing demand for MS and especially MX. The speculation about Tesla keeping both BIW lines and upgrading final assembly to match the 3,700 car/week BIW capacity was actually started a while back (Year? 1.5?) by one of the analysts. He put his musings on this topic in the report his company issued. I do not recall who it was, but remember what he discussed very well.

So putting together all of the pieces above, I think that they probably working on the expansion of MS/MX production capacity, particularly final assembly area. I hope that we hear more about this during the Q4 ER.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.