Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people are dense? Just look at how many people out there still don't even know Tesla exists, much less that it makes a fantastic electric car you can buy today. FSD reveal would have caught some media attention that likely alerted at least some new people to the Model 3's impending release, and the fact that if they don't get in line NOW their chances of getting the tax credit in the US are small.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. My prediction is that at launch, Model 3's AP+FSD price ($8k on MS today) will be $4k MAX, and more likely $2500-3000.

The $8000 price of AP+FSD today is like the first CD Burners in 1990-1992 that were $10-35k, and the price I'm suggesting at launch of Model 3 is like the $995 price in 1995 when they started showing up in home PCs. By 1998 they were down in the $100ish price point, and by the early 2000s, a CD burner could be had for ~$20. Its not a perfect analogy, but its not bad.
The FSD demo in Nov didn't spark additional interest in Model 3 actually. If google search term means anything. The main thing is the reveal.

Google Trends

"much less that it makes a fantastic electric car you can buy today"

what percentage of the people on the planet do you think can buy a Tesla "today"?

That's not my point, and you know it. There are people in North America who don't know Tesla is selling a real, working electric car, today, for a not completely out-of-reach amount of money. If you can afford a Mercedes or a BMW, you can probably afford a Tesla.

"What better way to stoke the fan base and Wall Street than to wheel out pre-production models" ahead of the earnings announcement, said one person familiar with Tesla's plans who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Exclusive: Tesla aims to start pilot production of Model 3 cars on February 20 - sources - Reuters
Exclusive: Tesla aims to start pilot production of Model 3 cars on February 20 - sources
This feels... like a misinterpretation of the Feb 18-28 shutdown w/week of pause on S/X line.

Theres no way you go from installing equipment on the 18th to producing Model 3 proto's on the 20th to showing them off on the 22nd.

That's not my point, and you know it. There are people in North America who don't know Tesla is selling a real, working electric car, today, for a not completely out-of-reach amount of money. If you can afford a Mercedes or a BMW, you can probably afford a Tesla.

I own a BMW... I can afford a Tesla, but I do not own a Tesla priced BMW... simply because I believe it's a silly waste of money to spend $70k+ on a car... i actually consider it grotesque.

regardless... BMW sells plenty of cars in the sub $50k range... BMW's 2015 revenue was 92 billion dollars... and they sold about 2.5m cars... which comes out to about $37k/car sold... of course Mini is included in that number, so let's just assume $50k asp.

that's a far cry from the Tesla $100k asp... so again... what percentage of people on the planet do you think can afford a $100k car?... a $70k car?

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
<---- And no more Sig Red either. ;-) Musk seems to channel Henry Ford, "you can have any color as long as it's black."
Can someone get the point across to Tesla that I want a brilliant GREEN color! Since I am waffling between the X and 3; those two cars need GREEN added to the options. I was not born and raised in a box ~ our children claim that both my wife and I were dropped of from outer space:D

How many cars do we need to pass on the road that are White, Gray (already own), Silver, Black, Blue (already own), and red (been there/done that). I just want another choiceo_O

I hope this does not alter your trying to quarterback the M3 price:)

"What better way to stoke the fan base and Wall Street than to wheel out pre-production models" ahead of the earnings announcement, said one person familiar with Tesla's plans who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Exclusive: Tesla aims to start pilot production of Model 3 cars on February 20 - sources - Reuters
Exclusive: Tesla aims to start pilot production of Model 3 cars on February 20 - sources

Well, made my first after hours trade ever and bought a small amount of shares at $264.50. I think the market will react positively to this news. When we go down to $255 the rest of you wanting to buy are welcome.

It may be premature to declare the "all-clear" with the Trump administration. On the other hand, 18 days down, only 1443 days to go (but who's counting? ;)).

I do agree that so far, so good with Trump, and that has been a huge disappointment to the shorts. The Jan. 4 event dashing short's dreams that the Gigafactory was just a huge mirage in the Nevada desert probably didn't hurt either.
two questions:
1. is this a good news for stock price tomorrow?

2. I saw the train rails next to the Fremont factory in the picture links in the news. Does Tesla uses train to transport the cars or materials? As far as I know those trains are super slow.

Reactions: MikeC
Stock is up $2.66 after hours. Tomorrow "may" be the beginning of the squeeze. What I know for sure is that I a holding through the ER. I firmly believe that it will not be a sell the news event. GLTA

Yes, speculation about Feb 20 production of pilot Model 3s is likely the reason for the after-hours jump. Maybe this development explains the late timing of Q4 ER. I suspect lots of shorts will be itching to find a way out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.