Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting day. While the pied piper of jaffray's ups the price target based on stories, Ford is doing some really good green innovation :)
Warning to Crooks: New Ford Cop Car May Be Green, But It's Fast

Wow, re-packaging an anemic Ford Fusion Hybrid counts as green innovation for you?

1.4 kWh battery. 0-60 in 8.7 seconds. Has to fire up the engine after four minutes of running on battery to recharge it.

The gas engine shuts down for four minutes at a time, while the electric motor continues to power the squad car’s lights, laptop computer, radio and climate controls. After resting, the engine automatically fires up for two minutes to recharge the battery. That process, repeated over the many hours a police car sits idle, drastically reduces fuel consumption, Hinds said.

Ah, no... that's terrible. How many millions of dollars in R&D did it cost Ford to come up with this?

Last edited:
Wow, re-packaging an anemic Ford Fusion Hybrid counts as green innovation for you?

1.4 kWh battery. 0-60 in 8.7 seconds. Has to fire up the engine after two minutes of running on battery to recharge it.

Ah, no... that's terrible. How many millions of dollars in R&D did it cost Ford to come up with this?
Eh. I can see some argument for what essentially amounts to an oversize battery for sitting parked but "on" for long periods of time, specifically for the police application.

But - my old 2001 Honda Insight had around a 1.1kWh nominal battery and allowed you to sit stopped with the engine off. This is hardly modern tech.

Reactions: neroden
Eh. I can see some argument for what essentially amounts to an oversize battery for sitting parked but "on" for long periods of time, specifically for the police application.

But - my old 2001 Honda Insight had around a 1.1kWh nominal battery and allowed you to sit stopped with the engine off. This is hardly modern tech.
Basically a large enough 12V battery let you do the same thing. This RV battery rated at 105AH*12V would give 1.2kwh too. I don't see what's the big deal about Ford.

Kevin O'Leary is an embarrassment to Canada and we deeply apologize for him. It seems he thinks that because there is a large Lithium ion battery the rest of the car must actually be a giant cell phone and, logically, it must be producing a package shriveling amount of radiation.

Hasn't he recently announced his desire to run for Prime Minister? With him at the helm and Trump in charge to your south, North America is in good hands. :eek:

But he's nuts 'bout his nuts

LOL. Perhaps Elon could introduce a "special" Kevin O'Leary edition:

High-Quality-Silver-Aluminium-Film-88x52cm-Baby-Kids-font-b-Car-b-font-Safety-Seats-font.jpg

i disagree. however, i encourage you to work the numbers as you describe, assuming that q4 2016 is fully included in solarcity's 10k. if you do that, you will find the numbers are even better than the way i've done it. the reason it's better is that it means they've driven opex down dramatically more than i am modeling, and that will actually be an economically better offset to losses than an equal amount of nci's.
@luvb2b I emailed IR this morning asking for clarification and they replied saying that Solarcity's 10-k financials were for the entire year, ending Dec 31, 2016.

I think he said earlier he was done posting on social media (I.e. TMC, instagram, etc)

Well, you can just imagine that he posted:
  • "I couldn't help myself, I bought more $TSLA"
  • "$TSLA poised for huge breakout"
  • Posted current charts saying they look great without explaining why.

And bonus Ann Boleyn post saying that TT007 is brilliant.

I like the guy just fine, and don't mind a little cheer leading for morale but he might as well be a bot at this point.

I bought on gut instinct that SCTY was getting silly low and the chances of a merger were near 100% on Sept 12 last year. After heated discussions here over a weekend.

Looking back I can't believe my luck. I bought at a near 3 year low of $17.

Doubling in 7 months :)
Not entirely luck!

Mostly shrewd decision making plus a little luck.

Last edited:
Well there's another casualty of the pre-driverless world we are in now. India just banned all alcohol sales within 500 meters of highways to curb DUIs. And people are worried about jobs lost TO driverless cars, how about FROM the lack of them. Indian economists have calculated the resulting sobriety to be a 10B$ hit to the economy.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TMSE
Kevin O’Leary's expertise lies in the fundamental analysis of stocks. That has apparently made him rich. Note how he wants assurances of quick profits from “Shark Tank” presenters. He should admit that he does not know how to value an innovative young growth company that invests much of its revenues into even more growth, aka “cash burning.” It’s understandable that he would avoid investing in Tesla due to it not being something he fully understands. Therefore, he should recuse himself from Tesla discussions on CNBC. Furthermore, CNBC should not allow him to join discussions of Tesla.

I learned that the words 'rich' or 'stock analyst/broker' does not mean 'smart'. I spent a lot of time in the late 70s, early 80s programming a 'system' for a broker in a major house in Charlotte. While he became rich at the expense of his clients, his stories / techniques taught me to do my own research/ investing and not trust brokers.

Reactions: Snapdragon III
Status
Not open for further replies.