Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is one my favorites. :) I didn't get the same impression by the reference to 8th circle. I hope you're correct.

Definitely sounds you are right. Elon loves to talk in miracles and he was reading a lot and certainly like Dante. Talked about hell .... 9 circle and the hint to 8th circle all sound very much elondish.....

Kind of almost through hell now I guess and a good reason to have a good party on the roof top too...

It is one my favorites. :) I didn't get the same impression by the reference to 8th circle. I hope you're correct.
Yeah, it is kind of poetry, so open to interpretation.

Here is my interpretation:

1) Dante's journey through hell is from 1 to 9 or 10, so they are almost out.
2) All along they have been having meetings where everyone on the team has been reporting progress, with the idea that if one is behind, resources will be applied to bring them up to speed. Someone has been over stating their progress, or robustness of process/progress. This would be fraud. The eighth ring.

There is some question about conscientiousness and whether Elon can balance his need for speed with "a person wishing to do what is right, especially to do one's work or duty well and thoroughly."

I don't believe there should be production hell. I think it is a consequence of people (in a hurry) pushing pain onto other people to meet their metric. If you iterate enough very early, and very conscientiously, the end to end time is shorter and there is very little to no hell.

It seems like Elon may be learning as here a few who reside in circle 8 and how they could cause production hell:
1) Flatterers and Panderers: When someone has a dream that they are pursuing, these people will pretend to support the goal, but have no belief that the goal is going to happen. They take your money because you are spending it, not because they are committed to making the dream real.
2) Hypocrites: Anyone who says something is done and is not conscientious about the life cycle quality of their work. Very common weakness.
3) Falsifiers, Imposters, Counterfeiters, and Perjurers: I think coming from a small company that people have preyed on has brought Elon face to face with all sorts. It is not a sheltered life trying to deliver product when the people you are working with don't think you are a going concern. C supplier and C teams make production hell inevitable.

So maybe I learned something here. Thank you for forcing the detailed read.

Reactions: hobbes
Why do you think it is about to be done? What head's up?

Sorry about the confusion. I meant the video Elon posted early today was a clue. If they are in real trouble they wouldn't sing like that and wouldn't post it. Remember the Model X production hell? I feel it's much different this time, it's almost kind of fun. I know it's still super hard, but this time they know how to fix it. That makes a big difference. Also, if the end is NOT near, Elon wouldn't say "~8th circle".

Does that mean this is the bottom of this pullback? I have no clue. I bought some today as planned. I will buy more in case it drops more. I always assume the worst is zero. I have seen that a few times in the past.

Reactions: Hogfighter
There was once a Hell traveller named Musk
Who partied till well after dusk
When he ‘vectored’ his clues
Singing Hell ‘layered’ blues
You look in his past, or tusk tusk

4B28C9A9-70F1-47E9-B1E7-A7785A24DC0A.jpeg

I think the important thing here is that, at least, the delay isn't going to get bigger and bigger...

If during the earning call Elon comes out extremely optimistic, I think we might see a fairly big jump of the SP.
I think we are virtually assured that Elon will come out "extremely optimistic" on the earnings call. He is always extremely optimistic. The question is whether the market will believe his extreme optimism.

Reactions: austinEV and Matias
I'd say in the 2nd paragraph, you have a very good sense of the problem solution approach and how it can work. If you have enough data, it's even possible for the network to figure out the rules of the road (including unwritten rules of the road). Heck, with enough data and training time, I'd expect such a network to have a reasonable chance at identifying right turn on red and left turn on red situations, and acting on them appropriately.

The idea I've been trying to articulate is different though. There's been a recurring stated fear / concern that AI is going to take over. For me that concern is overblown because even if the AI is better at solving defined problems, AI doesn't yet have evidence of being able to decide what problem to solve. There are more closed environment situations (such as driving a car) where AI / numerical analysis techniques are starting to be able to discern through the data and patterns of behavior, what the objective in the environment is, and therefore the "rules of the road" that creates success in that environment.

That's still different from deciding that autonomous driving is a problem to be solved.

And it's different from establishing the inital parameters of the learning environment. In Tesla specific terms, designing the cars to capture driving data from us humans while we drive and ship it back to the mother ship, and then feed that data into a learning environment from which a neural network can start learning recurrent patterns and hopefully eventually the rules of the road and what safe driving looks like. And yes - it's difficult, but you can "pollute" a neural network with examples of bad driving behavior - it's just that you need enough of them that they look like they're the normal instead of the exception. Billions of miles of good to ok driving swamps dozens of miles of bad driving.

And it'll be humans that translate whatever models are learned into a program that gets downloaded back into our Teslas and generate boundary conditions with each release around what driving decisions that program will and will not make. Or it'll be humans that design the direct translation of learned and validated models into updates that are downloaded to our cars - I figure we're at least years and probably decades away from revisions to learned models going through automated testing and validation, and then being automatically downloaded, so that the round trip between driving experience, learned model, and updated driving model/logic has no humans directly involved.

Sorry I missed your main intent. FWIW I think you've convinced me, at least, that the machines need us as much as we they, which should be consolation for the fearful. I'm old so don't worry about it as much as I worry about stupid people using any machine--or even cars or vans for murderous purposes, for God's sake.

Best and thanks for your patience and responses.

Reactions: adiggs
特斯拉大砍單 衝擊台廠 | 產業焦點 | 產業 | 經濟日報

A Taiwan supplier says they got notice from Tesla to decrease parts order rate from 5000/week in Dec to 3000/week.

There are some interesting tidbits here.

This particular supplier is already supplying parts at 5000/week in October and November. Tesla gave 2 months advance notice in compliance with contract to reduce the rate to 3000/week for December.

Speculation is that seat production is the bottleneck. According to sources in the supply chain, current seats are too short for taller passengers and lack back pockets and hand rests. Problems are arising due to the fact that some suppliers' parts are not meeting Tesla's standards.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
Status
Not open for further replies.