Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, MI is an uphill battle. From the time I spent there, talking to people about Michigoners, which are people who left MI for better opportunities elsewhere due to job stagnation and other reasons. Crony capitalism politicians and just generally corrupt politicians are par for the course, just look at Detroit’s mayoral history for a great primer. Speaking of Detroit, a city with an income tax since so many people who worked there didn’t live there to buy things or pay property taxes. What a racket.

SpaceX has facilities in Texas (which blocks Tesla sales), and is adding more. Admittedly, there is more of a reason to be in that region, but taking an economic hit to 'punish' a few legislators does not seem a wise business move.

Today we saw the NASDAQ open about 30 points higher than yesterday and we saw TSLA take an immediate dive. Whether that dive was started by short-sellers or by profit-takers ahead of the ER I can't tell you, but I lean towards shorts because of the aggressive selling right out of the chute when the NASDAQ was doing well. The bots likely jumped in and then the NASDAQ started giving up the majority of the 30 points, and TSLA followed with a similar but exaggerated dip.

The shorts have been extremely successful with their new strategy over the past few weeks of using dips in the NASDAQ to exaggerate the decline of TSLA (by selling during the dip) and then capping TSLA at the lower number when the broader index recovers (sticky dip on steroids).

A second explanation of what happened this morning is that investors are jumpy this morning before the ER and a big dip right after open likely brought out the negative thoughts in some investors. From the Panasonic CEO statements, we can assume that Elon will be giving a similar description about Model 3 bottlenecks falling by the wayside, which should encourage investors, but Tesla's numbers may not look so good with the large quantity of new Model 3 employees on board but a lack of revenue being produced yet by that vehicle. When investors see a big dip, their minds tend to think "someone knows something that I don't, what is it?" Fortunately, the air should be cleared later today during the ER and presentation. I generally believe that fear of the unknown is more frightening than fear of the known, and clarity should have a positive influence on the stock price.

Today we saw the NASDAQ open about 30 points higher than yesterday and we saw TSLA take an immediate dive. Whether that dive was started by short-sellers or by profit-takers ahead of the ER I can't tell you, but I lean towards shorts because of the aggressive selling right out of the chute when the NASDAQ was doing well. The bots likely jumped in and then the NASDAQ started giving up the majority of the 30 points, and TSLA followed with a similar but exaggerated dip.

The shorts have been extremely successful with their new strategy over the past few weeks of using dips in the NASDAQ to exaggerate the decline of TSLA (by selling during the dip) and then capping TSLA at the lower number when the broader index recovers (sticky dip on steroids).

A second explanation of what happened this morning is that investors are jumpy this morning before the ER and a big dip right after open likely brought out the negative thoughts in some investors. From the Panasonic CEO statements, we can assume that Elon will be giving a similar description about Model 3 bottlenecks falling by the wayside, which should encourage investors, but Tesla's numbers may not look so good with the large quantity of new Model 3 employees on board but a lack of revenue being produced yet by that vehicle. When investors see a big dip, their minds tend to think "someone knows something that I don't, what is it?" Fortunately, the air should be cleared later today during the ER and presentation. I generally believe that fear of the unknown is more frightening than fear of the known, and clarity should have a positive influence on the stock price.

Interesting that Panasonic is up 1.81% but Tesla is down 3+% so far -- and I think short selling (or at least options) are not easily available for PCRFY (OTC).

SpaceX has facilities in Texas (which blocks Tesla sales), and is adding more. Admittedly, there is more of a reason to be in that region, but taking an economic hit to 'punish' a few legislators does not seem a wise business move.

SpaceX > Tesla. Hate to say it, but it's true. The McGregor facility predates Model S, and might even predate the Roadster. (couldn't find any solid dates) Planning for Boca Chica started ~2012-2013, and lets be honest, there's not much in the way of other options when it comes to spaceports for orbital launches due to strict restrictions against overflying populated areas.

I don't know. I don't like that Panasonic said "the production will soon be automated". How soon is soon? Why wasn't it automated yet? They had plenty of time since the announcement of 2170 to do this. Is "soon" next week or in 2 weeks or this month? Does it mean the ramp doesn't happen until the batteries mature and we won't see too many Model 3's delivered in November either?

So I'm holding my breath while waiting for more buying opportunity between tonight and the 15th ;)

You can't really fault Tesla or Panasonic for this, can you? The Model 3 ramp deadlines arrived totally unannounced. ;)
Let's see what are not ready:
- GF cell production not ramped up; no where near where it needs to be
- Battery pack production not automated
- M3 body part stamping not ready; still banging out by hand
- Assembly line not ready
- Service centers not expanded to support announced M3 volume
- Super chargers not ready
- Parking lots not ready to accommodate more workers. EVen the promised roller coaster is missing.
- What else? Sure I missed another 10.

Now, if only we could get a single sign of M3 ramp on track or not, we could bet accordingly.;)

Last edited:
You can't really fault Tesla or Panasonic for this, can you? The Model 3 ramp deadlines arrived totally unannounced. ;)
Let's see what are not ready:
- GF cell production not ramped up; no where near where it needs to be
- Battery pack production not automated
- M3 body part stamping not ready; still banging out by hand
- Assembly line not ready
- Service centers not expanded to support announced M3 volume
- Super chargers not ready
- Parking lots not ready to accommodate more workers. EVen the promised roller coaster is missing.
- What else? Sure I missed another 10.

Now, if only we could get a single sign of M3 ramp on track or not, we could bet accordingly.;)

These things are not late, they are just not 12 months early. Instead of the aspirational 18 months early that was talked about. The GF is a new factory that was not going live with full production volumes for 12 months from now, instead they pulled that forward. In your deceptive way, you intimate that Tesla and Panasonic have not be doing anything but sitting on their hands.

One thing remains a fact no matter how dumb your analysis is, the clock is ticking and Tesla and Panasonic's bottlenecks will not last forever. Just like the Model S went from only selling 20,000 a year to Model S/X selling 100,000 this year, so to will the Model 3 go from hundreds a month to tens of thousands a month. Tesla has infinitely more talent and capabilities as they did with S and then X. Its not a matter of IF, but WHEN. Tick, Tock, time is running out..

I don't see anything here that everyone who really cared had not figured already. Bear attack guaranteed...but then it always is.

Overall I see the ramps continuing across the board. Sad to see constriction of S and X production to help out with Model 3, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Looks to me like everthing is on track. Model 3 was supposed to come in 2020 not too long ago. IMO, this is a fine ER for a company exploding in growth in almost every sector they are involved in.

Looking to add on significant weakness.

Long-term the real driver of Tesla's growth will be whether they can establish a true lead in self-driving. For me, the highlight of this report is the suggestion that they have achieved a major milestone here. If we see accelerating advances in next few months, the fact that model 3's 18 month production advance is now merely a 15 month advance will seem like small potatoes.

Reactions: tlo and Turing
"Ring Of Fire"
(originally by Anita Carter)

Love is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery ring.
Bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire.

[2x]
I fell into a burning ring of fire,
I went down, down, down and the flames went higher
And it burns, burns, burns,
The ring of fire, the ring of fire.

The taste of love is sweet
When hearts like ours meet.
I fell for you like a child,
Oh, but the fire went wild.

I went down, down, down and the flames went higher

I went down, down, down as the flames went higher

The ring of fire, the ring of fire,

"...the Model 3 production process will be vastly more automated than the production process of Model S, Model X or almost any other car on the market today, and bringing this level of automation online is simply challenging in the early stages of the ramp."

or... it's a mistake. there is the possibility that they've made a huge engineering mistake.

"...the Model 3 production process will be vastly more automated than the production process of Model S, Model X or almost any other car on the market today, and bringing this level of automation online is simply challenging in the early stages of the ramp."

or... it's a mistake. there is the possibility that they've made a huge engineering mistake.

They sure make a lot of mistakes:

Reactions: scaesare

Man, you naysayers are a ****img beating. I dont see any other company in the world doing what Tesla had done and continues to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.