Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supercharger Post.

I have posted in the past that I have an addiction to following the supercharger build-out. I've seen the progress go anywhere from 5 sites under construction to 45 at a time. I've seen some sites take 21 days to complete to some taking 150 or more. I've pretty much seen the announcement of every supercharger going live since #13. But, recently, what has me concerned is the shear number of days it's taking Tesla to get a supercharger live once all construction is completed. It seems the oil industry and the haters in general are throwing everything they have at stopping Tesla. In the past, a supercharger at 45 to 50 days into construction was surely about to pop. Now, there must be 20 over the 45 day mark - just sitting there completed, waiting for some gov't inspection, or utility hookup before Tesla can flip the switch and activate the supercharger. It can't be just a coincidence. People with agendas are holding up these superchargers from opening.

I often wonder if Elon doesn't consider if he would have been much better off to have started this journey in Europe instead of America. It's amazing the number of battles he has had to overcome to keep this life dream going. I have to admit, I would have said, "**** you" a long time ago. **** you to the Fox News, LA Times, and Wall Street Journals of the world. **** you to the politicians banning sales in multiple states. And **** you to the morons who don't have enough sense to do their own research and blindly believe these publications. I would have taken my efforts elsewhere. Mad props to Elon for continuing the good fight. He has fought the big money, the publications, and the ignorant ****s of the world.

Oh, and mind you, this is all coming from a South Georgia conservative libertarian.

Since my post has a lot of asterisks after I submitted it, I thought I would give a key.
*=*
*=*
*=*
*=*

Is it possible that the pre construction (permit) phase and permit to start of construction times are shorter so that construction is starting and finishing earlier relative to when the utility lead time is started?
Also, could recent weather events be diverting crews (and transformers) from expansion projects?

• Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
Supercharger Post.

I have posted in the past that I have an addiction to following the supercharger build-out. I've seen the progress go anywhere from 5 sites under construction to 45 at a time. I've seen some sites take 21 days to complete to some taking 150 or more. I've pretty much seen the announcement of every supercharger going live since #13. But, recently, what has me concerned is the shear number of days it's taking Tesla to get a supercharger live once all construction is completed. It seems the oil industry and the haters in general are throwing everything they have at stopping Tesla. In the past, a supercharger at 45 to 50 days into construction was surely about to pop. Now, there must be 20 over the 45 day mark - just sitting there completed, waiting for some gov't inspection, or utility hookup before Tesla can flip the switch and activate the supercharger. It can't be just a coincidence. People with agendas are holding up these superchargers from opening.

I often wonder if Elon doesn't consider if he would have been much better off to have started this journey in Europe instead of America. It's amazing the number of battles he has had to overcome to keep this life dream going. I have to admit, I would have said, "**** you" a long time ago. **** you to the Fox News, LA Times, and Wall Street Journals of the world. **** you to the politicians banning sales in multiple states. And **** you to the morons who don't have enough sense to do their own research and blindly believe these publications. I would have taken my efforts elsewhere. Mad props to Elon for continuing the good fight. He has fought the big money, the publications, and the ignorant ****s of the world.

Oh, and mind you, this is all coming from a South Georgia conservative libertarian.

Since my post has a lot of asterisks after I submitted it, I thought I would give a key.
*=*
*=*
*=*
*=*

What's with all this positivity? :)

Is it possible that the pre construction (permit) phase and permit to start of construction times are shorter so that construction is starting and finishing earlier relative to when the utility lead time is started?
Also, could recent weather events be diverting crews (and transformers) from expansion projects?

The biggest delay lately has been inspections and setting the transformer. It seems to me that the oil industry has gotten into the utility's pockets. Who knows.

Remember, Tesla does not compete against other EVs because there are (barely) any. Tesla is competing against ICE cars. And losing a $7500 tax credit in that race is a big deal because now suddenly a 3/S/X is losing competitiveness against a BMW3/5/X5.

No. While it's correct that Tesla is really taking ICE market share, Tesla was *already losing the tax credit* next year.

If everyone else loses the credit too, this is good for Tesla long-term (when EV competition does appear) -- and essentially irrelevant short-term since they have more demand than they can fill for the next year (as the credit was phasing out).

GM was the only automaker actively lobbying Congress to keep the EV credit.

Next year when GM,Tesla, and Nissan pass the 200k threshold it will be easier to kill the credit.

The only Automaker incorporated in the USA that will have credits left, Ford, doesn't care.

The balance of the benefits go to foreign based automakers so that will swing a few centrist/moderate votes in the Senate.

The Republican leadership will not risk losing Nevada's Heller nor Maine's Collins vote for the Republican Tax Bill over EV tax credits this year. They only have 51 votes in the Senate as is.

VW preps dealers for tough EV economics

The average profitability margin for Volkswagen's U.S. dealers is already only 1 to 2 percent, Volkswagen of America CEO Hinrich Woebcken said.That is significantly less than the 2.5 percent national average profit margin among nonluxury dealers, according to data from the National Automobile Dealers Association.

"We're going to have a lot of customers who stay in traditional cars. By 2025, 85 or 90 percent of cars sold will still be conventional cars, so the change is not going to come from Friday to Monday; it's going to come over time," Woebcken said.

How does this square with VW's stated goal of selling 13 BEV models with a total volume of 3M units per year by 2025?

Are they planning to double the sale of ICEv to 20M units per year by 2025? Or are they really planning on selling only 1M BEVs per year,mostly in China, with the balance in Norway California,Oregon, and Quebec?

VW preps dealers for tough EV economics

The average profitability margin for Volkswagen's U.S. dealers is already only 1 to 2 percent, Volkswagen of America CEO Hinrich Woebcken said.That is significantly less than the 2.5 percent national average profit margin among nonluxury dealers, according to data from the National Automobile Dealers Association.

"We're going to have a lot of customers who stay in traditional cars. By 2025, 85 or 90 percent of cars sold will still be conventional cars, so the change is not going to come from Friday to Monday; it's going to come over time," Woebcken said.

How does this square with VW's stated goal of selling 13 BEV models with a total volume of 3M units per year by 2025?

Are they planning to double the sale of ICEv to 20M units per year by 2025? Or are they really planning on selling only 1M BEVs per year,mostly in China, with the balance in Norway California,Oregon, and Quebec?
I can't see how VW et al can do anything else but lie to dealers about the transition.

The current situation is mutually beneficial. The manufacturer has guaranteed sales to the dealerships and the dealerships have ongoing sales and servicing revenue. Now the manufacturer is going to remove the majority of the servicing revenue due to technology shifts and current sales margins on new vehicles are relatively small.

If Dealerships start making 5 year budgets with a reduction in servicing revenue then there should be an increase in sales of dealerships as the smart money gets out - leading to no investment in new dealerships and inhibiting the manufacturers only sales channel.

To me, it seems that the manufacturers and dealerships are in a symbiotic relationship and it will be difficult for one to exist without the other until a new economic model for dealers can be established, or manufacturers start selling directly.

Dealers can still make money through trading used vehicles and servicing the current fleet but neither of these revenue streams would encourage investment in the sale of new vehicles.

I can't see how VW et al can do anything else but lie to dealers about the transition.

The current situation is mutually beneficial. The manufacturer has guaranteed sales to the dealerships and the dealerships have ongoing sales and servicing revenue. Now the manufacturer is going to remove the majority of the servicing revenue due to technology shifts and current sales margins on new vehicles are relatively small.

If Dealerships start making 5 year budgets with a reduction in servicing revenue then there should be an increase in sales of dealerships as the smart money gets out - leading to no investment in new dealerships and inhibiting the manufacturers only sales channel.

To me, it seems that the manufacturers and dealerships are in a symbiotic relationship and it will be difficult for one to exist without the other until a new economic model for dealers can be established, or manufacturers start selling directly.

Dealers can still make money through trading used vehicles and servicing the current fleet but neither of these revenue streams would encourage investment in the sale of new vehicles.

The dealer issue is very understated issue for the traditional dealer in the US. I don't know how it works outside the US, but dealers are going to hold manufactures hostage if they are forced to sell EVs, that or the EVs will need to be designed to fail. Meaning a dozen or so parts that just fail do real good reason. Because selling direct is illegal in the US, the dealers have a lot of power in that relationship and will require incentives to sell the cars.

With all the traditional manufacturers recalls, the dealers could still do very well at the cost of the manufacturer.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
As far as I can see Model 3 sightings are increasing significantly (reports, FB, twitter and so on).
To me it does not really matter if the reason for this is progress made with the all hands on deck manual part of the pack assembly ramp or already the beginning of the fully automated ramp. Folks at Tesla are not stupid, they are able to solve that pack assembly issue sooner than later.
Time is running out in case you are short this stock.
Just imagine all that press reviews and articles as free advertising during the next weeks/months.
I still have some money to buy any significant dip during the next weeks/months as long as macro and overall story stay intact.
Good luck everyone.

The dealer issue is very understated issue for the traditional dealer in the US. I don't know how it works outside the US, but dealers are going to hold manufactures hostage if they are forced to sell EVs, that or the EVs will need to be designed to fail. Meaning a dozen or so parts that just fail do real good reason. Because selling direct is illegal in the US, the dealers have a lot of power in that relationship and will require incentives to sell the cars.

With all the traditional manufacturers recalls, the dealers could still do very well at the cost of the manufacturer.

Good, you are driving the discussion in the right direction. Maintenance! I almost feel like the husband in the movie Mrs Robertson telling a Dustin that “Plasics” is the thing of the future. The S & X are on an annual/12.5K maintenance plan as opposed to 5K ICE maintenance plans. Elon just put out there a Semi maintenance plan that gave goose bumps to the mechanics. Another job reclassification/retraining program up and coming for ICE mechanics. While Tesla’s maintenance program will grow, it will be marginal compared to the reduction in force (RIF) of ICE maintenance workers.

Next, note that someone here used the word “lie” in discussion of VW. This concep of “fake news” (fN) is not new to VW as a corporation.

Again referencing fN and GM, if I am correct, is losing big bucks on sales right now, but had some recent success with driverless programming, and all of a sudden they are touted as a successful threat against Tesla’s autopilot. I do not use drugs, but that was an inhaled nose full:) I have not seen pictures of these GM cars, but if they look anything like the Volvo and Google version with a bunch of crap on the roof of the car then let’s start talking about the ICE fossil fuel consumption. There is where the major automotive industry will make their money/EV tax incentive along with more maintenance. Yes, some are now beginning to slide to the EV side for driverless cars, but aerodynamics are still affected.

I have made fun of Apple and their innovative lack of momentum over the last few years, and I refer to it as lacking iWind. Traditional ICE manufactures in this political environment of lies/fN will do whatever it takes to blind their employees, sales force and the audience/buyers; thus creating an iWind.

Now, what about the little guy on the block? Again taking into account the almost newly enacted tax incentive program. He/she will deal with the tax plan in a survival mode. Humm? Half the cost of fuel for an EV vs ICE car:) Half or better less $$$ for EV maintenance Tesla vs GM (Et al). Hey, I can rent out my M3 vs any other brand while I am not using it. Remember, Uber is nervous about Tesla’s plans with this concept. Joe citizen might just opt to not buy any of these options and just call Tesla for a lift.

Todays economy is like watching the novice farmer cut the head off a chicken. Blood and dust flying everywhere as the headless chickens body reacts to the loss. But the cat, Tesla, waits twitching it’s tail eyeing the headless chickens every movement. While the farmer reacts to a call on his cell phone, the cat pounces:)

Maintenance plays a major factor in the dynamics of decision making of buying a car ~ okay at least for the human race with a brighter light on the human chandelier:)

Status
Not open for further replies.