Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. If at some point I believe that a market crash is imminent, and I want to buy puts on the market what's available? Index funds on the Dow or the S and P 500?

I bought puts on DDM for the purpose. DDM is an ETF tracking the Dow with 2x leverage, and the theory is that it will fall faster when Dow falls. Puts for extra leverage, so that it's cheap, but I have some pretty good protection if the market plunges. It won't help much though if it goes to 22k first and then down to 19k. It will only work if the market goes down to pre-Trump levels or under before July, which is what I need insurance for anyway. Otherwise I'd be happy to write off the 100% loss on the puts.

Hm. Does this momentum carry into tomorrow, where I might be able to escape in the green, or do I bail out now, with only a few hundred in losses.

This smells like a 256.99 or 257.01 close...
You can sell calls against your calls to create a spread if you want to hedge (assuming your broker lets you). Your max gain will be much lower but so will your max loss.

I have wondered whether some of the big short sellers (or their brokers) are price-shopping between Fidelity and IB. The last bit of apparent short-covering at Fidelity before today coincided with Fidelity increasing its interest rate to 2.5% while IB's rate remained a little above 2%. Fidelity immediately lowered their rate and a new equilibrium seemed to result.
You'd think the short-sellers would move to Schwab, which just lowered their commissions and isn't paying share-lenders *anything*.

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
Looking at the trading pattern today (high green, short red) suggests large investors establishing new long positions and/or closing short positions. If the gain today is from short covering in anticipation of positive events at earnings, we could be in for a steady ride up. There are 10 trading days before earnings report. There are about 35 million shares shorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.