Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, looks like that was simply downward momentum initiated from a dark pool dump at 9:53am. Doesn't take much in these thin conditions. Looks like just another day of very few buyers showing up, so drifting down we go...

Could you please add some more details? The 9:53 minute trading shows 14,000 shares traded, which is capable of getting the rock rolling downhill. How big was the dark pool dump? Many thanks for your efforts.

Could you please add some more details? The 9:53 minute trading shows 14,000 shares traded, which is capable of getting the rock rolling downhill. How big was the dark pool dump? Many thanks for your efforts.

7620 shares, highest 1 minute dark pool selling volume today.

On a different note, this will be interesting.
Intercontinental Exchange Announces ICE Futures U.S. Contract Based on NYSE FANG+™ Index of Tech Stocks; Efficiently Hedge or Gain Exposure to Key Tech Sector Stocks with Futures

NYSE FANG+ Index Futures

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV

Thanks for the info. If those 7620 shares were a bunch of shares sold short, it would be an efficient way of starting the rock rolling downhill, given the 9:53 and 9:55 am drops.

I suspect the aim of the shorts today is to see TSLA close in the red, below the 100 day moving average. Today is but one battle in their war. Since the transition to green and the 100 DMA are so close to each other at the moment, capping to keep TSLA in the red is a likely strategy. You may see bop-the-mole where shorts sell any time TSLA goes green, but you may instead see TSLA allowed to climb a few points into the green before the short-selling takes place, so that the strategy is not so apparent. With this first sign of green, it'll be interesting to see what is about to transpire.

I suspect the aim of the shorts today is to see TSLA close in the red, below the 100 day moving average. Today is but one battle in their war. Since the transition to green and the 100 DMA are so close to each other at the moment, capping to keep TSLA in the red is a likely strategy. You may see bop-the-mole where shorts sell any time TSLA goes green, but you may instead see TSLA allowed to climb a few points into the green before the short-selling takes place, so that the strategy is not so apparent. With this first sign of green, it'll be interesting to see what is about to transpire.

11:56am, 8293 share DP sell spike, 1 minute after Nasdaq dropped a bit, same minute Nasdaq was recovering on nice volume. Clearly TSLA wasn't dropping (barely), but nothing a small sell spike wouldn't fix. That successfully subdued TSLA for the next 5 or 6 minutes while Nasdaq continued to rise.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: EinSV and Papafox
I’m going to put my money on a rise of more than 2% today closing above $350.
Daily pivot @ 348.46 will be resistance on the way to that. After the first dump of the day we retested it and confirmed it had become resistance.

That said, starting to see some algo buying spikes, 5k shares in the last 10 minutes. If the momentum can be sustained to $350, I don't think we'll stop there. Macro needs to hold itself together though, as TSLA is still quite fragile.

Edit: looking at wrong numbers, seems to be spikes of 5-8k shares as we move up.

tsla-9.26.17-buysell-algo.png

Last edited:
Daily pivot @ 348.46 will be resistance on the way to that. After the first dump of the day we retested it and confirmed it had become resistance.

That said, starting to see some algo buying spikes, 5k shares in the last 10 minutes. If the momentum can be sustained to $350, I don't think we'll stop there. Macro needs to hold itself together though, as TSLA is still quite fragile.

Edit: looking at wrong numbers, seems to be spikes of 5-8k shares as we move up.

View attachment 250142

Would you have rathered Algo or Dark Pool buys drive this move?

I’m going to put my money on a rise of more than 2% today closing above $350.
If the latest hourly candle continues green, that will make 5 green candles out of the last 6, overlapping yesterday's trading. The hourly 5 SMA has now turned positive. The likelihood of this not being the bottom is getting very low. But I wouldn't rule out a fierce battle through the rest of this day. If it becomes even more clear to bears that this stock is turning around, covering may create a nice close.

Status
Not open for further replies.