Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model s cracked glass roof upon delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Arcade1

Dec 15, 2017
Ca
Has anyone had the glass roof replaced on their model S? If so, what is the process? Can it be removed from the outside of the vehicle or does the interior headliner trim have to be removed to do the job?

First problem: My new model s arrived and the SC found a crack during inspection (pre delievery). They want to replace the glass and call it a day.

The thought of taking delievery on a new car that has been taken apart for a major repair is unsettling. It is unreasonable that a major repair has to be made, and Tesla still calls the car new while charging full price without any discounts.

To their credit, they offered to do my first scheduled service for free. However, a free service is hardly worth anything to me given the magnitude of the repair on a brand new vehicle.

I suspect the new glass and seal will never be as good as the factory finish which was done by a robot. I forsee wind noise and rattles will be a likely issue.

Second problem: The new vehicle I ordered made it to the service center for me to take delievery. However, they kept giving me the run-around and would not let me pick it up for over a week. They told me there were no appointments available.

I came to find out the vehicle with the cracked roof had a different VIN than the vehicle I reserved/ordered. Yes, it is a completely different car with the same options. It seems likely the dealership where I bought it or the SC switched cars on me for some unknown reason. They gave me the run-around for a week and a half and then unexpectedly called me and told me the roof was cracked.

Third problem: the vehicle is an 75s (rear wheel drive). The dealership said they did not have any more available with my same options/configurations. Needless to say, if I order a 75d (all wheel drive), I will be out an additional 5k and a 2 to 3 month wait.

Any advice or thoughts on this whole ordeal?

That's definitely a sub-optimal situation, no doubt about it. I actually think the proposed solution from the service center (repair it at no cost, plus free annual service as compensation) is fairly reasonable. Give them a chance to make it right.

For a bit of perspective:

o Consider that if the glass roof had cracked at the factory and it was discovered during QA, the factory would have had to do the exact same repair to your car, and you wouldn't even know about it.

o Consider that if you picked up a perfect "factory new" (to use your terms) car, and through no fault of your own the glass roof cracks a mile down the road, you'd be taking it back to the service center for the exact same repair, and you probably wouldn't get the free annual service.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you reach a satisfactory resolution. Good luck!

Bruce.

PS. My Model S was "factory new" when I picked it up (at the factory in fact), but it got pooped on by a seagull before we left the premises, and I managed to get a dent in a door 24 hours later. Stuff happens to cars.

Yeah, that's a tough situation. For me, one of the reasons to buy a new car is for the satisfaction of knowing it's "perfect" and has never been wrenched on. It sucks to start out knowing it's already been worked on. With that being said, and not knowing any official numbers, there is probably a larger than normal number of Teslas that end up needing some type of work at or near delivery time. For me, I ended up needing a new wiring harness between the accelerator pedal and rear drive unit. It was difficult to come to terms with this work being done on a new car, but the experience of driving the car once you get it right is worth the pain in my book. As long as you feel the service center is treating you right with a loaner and some compensation, I'd let them fix the roof and get to enjoying the car. Good luck!

The delivery delay makes me suspect the other buyer had the same issue, switched cars.

"Typo" a VIN?
Ack.

I agree with verygreen, would refuse the car.

I am biased.
It is disappointing, and continually frustrating that
T does not have the S nailed at this point.
Hopefully they have learned, and get the M3 correct.
So many irons in the fire, all this and that.
This for now keeps me stuck on the fence.
So
1) I start by Just saying no.
2) I prefer a metal roof and an opening sunroof.
I appreciate you folks that have gone forward courageously.
Without you, without your tolerance, patience and deep pockets,
this would not be happening at all.
Thanks.
Keep the faith.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
@Arcade1
Personally I don't think roof replacement is as major as it may seem (probably slightly more complicated than a windshield replacement). I would however be suspicious about the different VIN number - what was the VIN number that showed up on the My Tesla page when you ordered? All Teslas are ordered and tracked online, so the VIN number should match. If it doesn't, something is up they are not telling you what it is.

All this being said, all is not lost and remember that you have some leverage here. Tesla wants to deliver as many cars as possible by end of the year, so use that to your advantage. If you decide you're going to re-order anyways, just cancel and get a refund first, see what they do if they see you are in fact willing to cancel - you can always pay the deposit again, but the action of actually canceling gives you leverage. If it was me, first and foremost I would not take delivery of the car until it is ready, unless it came with a satisfactory loaner (P100D?) guarantee in writing until your car is fixed to your satisfaction. Another thing I might try to get in exchange for accepting a VIN I did not order is the 4 year warranty extension, rather than the first annual service which I normally wouldn't do anyways. I would not feel bad using the end of year leverage since it's just business and Tesla uses such leverage to their own advantage all the time (for example they know that if I trace a car to them I get 10% sales tax credit in WA, so they give people in WA trade-in values lowered by about 10% - I even found them a dealer that was willing to pay 10% more for my car, but they wouldn't allow a trade-through because they knew if I sell it to the dealer myself I will lose the 10% anyways - as a reference, all other dealers I ever bought cars from, from Toyota to Porsche allowed trade-throughs no problem btw). So, if taking a different VIN car with repair makes you feel uncomfortable, figure out how much (if any amount) it's worth it and ask for it, you just might get it, but you have to be willing to walk away and re-order next year. Btw, you are in no way obligated to accept a different VIN number car that is not in your sales agreement, so if they try to scare you that they will keep your deposit, tell them you want the car you bought, not a substitute (unless of course they substitute it with something you actually want).

The most important advice I will give you, whatever you agree to, make sure you get it IN WRITING as part of your agreement, with guarantee stating what will be done by when and if not what you get (for example, a full refund or indefinite P100D loaner until they satisfy their obligations). I've been a Tesla customer for a long time and will tell you while service has always been stellar, Tesla corporate can be weasels and their timelines mean absolutely nothing. Also, whatever sales people tell you or even email you is completely meaningless and unenforceable, hence my suggestion to write down in the contract what the deal is and what you get if they don't keep their end of the deal. Once they have your money, you lose all the leverage. If you're going to re-order anyways, what do you have to lose by trying anyways?

First of all, the glass roof is not a structural element of the car, as reported to me by IIHS.org when I asked if their side impact tests apply to all versions of the Model S (they do). Thus, it's very much like a windshield replacement.

Second, the VIN error is remarkable, but could be a coincidence. But it makes me wary--I'm that way.

My personal suggestion: re-order of a 75D as it gets you an upgrade (with better range and traction) that is well worth the extra $5,000, AND you'll get a 2018 MY car. Do it now if you have alternate transportation as this is in the "no-brainer" category. (And at least ask Tesla to cover your alternate transportation if you're without wheels.)

Or, if the extra money is just too much to try for, then let them fix and enjoy your free annual service.

Best of luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Sully's8
First of all, the glass roof is not a structural element of the car, as reported to me by IIHS.org.

My personal suggestion: re-order of a 75D as it gets you an upgrade (with better range and traction) that is well worth the extra $5,000, AND you'll get a 2018 MY car. Do it now if you have alternate transportation as this is in the "no-brainer" category. (And at least ask Tesla to cover your alternate transportation if you're without wheels.).

Big question on 1st quoted citation...can Tesla get the glass replaced as simply and quickly as if it were a windshield replacement?

Completely agree w recommendation to get the '18.

Sorry for the hassle and good luck...

Thank you all for the advice and your time. Everyone has made a lot of great points. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Perhaps I will have a solution by Monday or Tuesday.

By the way, does anyone know the actual process to replace the glass roof? I cant find it anywhere on-line.

My roof had a crack that surfaced a few days after delivery. They replaced it at the service center. It doesn’t feel like any different of a car or have any compromises because of the repair.

That said, they did also have to replace the windshield and headliner. The windshield because there was some wind noise after replacing and it was cheaper/easier to replace the windshield than the roof to fix the alignment. They caught this - this wasn’t an extra incremental service appt.

The headliner was because the accidentally tore a small rip in it while they were replacing. That was a little annoying because it was back-ordered.

But all in pretty easy, but frustrating in the moment.

Reactions: Akikiki and SpdBug
My pano roof was cracked before delivery and needed replacing. Took delivery in January and haven't had any wind noise or other issues. Only thing for me is that the front panel is a slightly different colour to the back panel but this is my fault as I rushed them to get the first available part so I could keep my delivery date. They didn't get the replacement glass until the morning of my delivery but they fitted it and only delayed delivery by a few hours to make sure the glue was dry - sounded very similar to a windshield replacement to me so I don't think you've got anything to worry about from that perspective, that said I'd probably look to cancel a re-order given the VIN issue....

Ridiculous. They will provide a loaner and repair it at no cost to him. The bonus is they are giving him a free one year annual service. Warning Will Robinson - Don't be greedy.
@unbelievable and @DrivingRockies, Please share with us what you find here that you disagree with. That Tesla will provide a loaner at no cost? Will not provide a loaner? Its a bonus that they are giving him an annual service? Or that he should be greedy?

I think its safe to say this break was an accident. Tesla certainly didn't do it on purpose. More likely it happened during transport. Either way, he's not stuck with paying for it. You folks that are new to owning a Tesla have not had a chance yet to experience to what degree that Tesla bends over backwards to do the right thing nearly all the time. Sure - sure once in a while you will find mistakes and errors from employees. But even Tesla employees are not members of the Justice League or Avengers. The general attitude of the leadership has earned the reputation that they will always try to do what's right by the customer.

If I were the OP, I would take the car, sign for the car. And would have no doubts that Tesla will do what ever is necessary to fix the glass roof. I would graciously accept the offer of the free annual service. And since they do it for almost every other customer, I would be happy to drive a loaner while they make my new car right. They've already earned that chance to do the right thing. They don't need to prove it over and over. They don't need to provide collateral as a promise they would do it right.

Last edited:
Sorry this happened to you. If you reorder at this point do you lose free supercharging?

The VIN issue does make me wonder if this car was someone elses and they refused it because of the crack and so someone switched it out for the vehicle that was to be yours.

I know I have read at least one thread started by someone who had to have his glass roof replaced do to a crack or chip. Don't recall the outcome.

Here's 2 threads I found: 3 month old Model S with all glass roof. A huge crack developed already & Delivery delayed due to cracked glass roof...

Last edited: